PDA

View Full Version : Notebooks with HDMI

asdf
10-10-2007, 06:08 AM
I am having a hard time finding a notebook with an HDMI output that does not cost an arm and leg. Anyone have suggestions?

ericchile
10-10-2007, 06:19 AM
Find one with a dvi and convert to hdmi...

asdf
10-10-2007, 06:25 AM
I have heard their is a loss in picture quality when converting DVI to HDMI. Is this not true?
So stupid.. I can find cheep motherboards with HDMI outputs for $65 but every laptop i find is 1500+.

CarpeyBiggs
10-10-2007, 06:47 AM
DVI to HDMI shouldn't affect picture quality. The signal is the same, just on different connectors, from what I understand.

ericchile
10-10-2007, 06:48 AM
I have heard their is a loss in picture quality when converting DVI to HDMI. Is this not true?
So stupid.. I can find cheep motherboards with HDMI outputs for $65 but every laptop i find is 1500+.

I don't think so.. but I can't see any logic right now behind that.

HDMI has a greater bandwidth for things like 8 channel sound, DRM etc along with that HD picture. But DVI still supports a digital picture.

They are both digital signals.

I go from a dvi connection on my HD satellite receiver to my 42" tv that has hdmi and it still looks great.

Although in the future I imagine HDMI will take over just about most systems including all pcs/laptops.

CarpeyBiggs
10-10-2007, 07:28 AM
Here's a quote summit.

DVI and HDMI are exactly the same as one another, image-quality-wise. The principal differences are that HDMI carries audio as well as video, and uses a different type of connector, but both use the same encoding scheme, and that's why a DVI source can be connected to an HDMI monitor, or vice versa, with a DVI/HDMI cable, with no intervening converter box.