PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Ghoul Gulch and Calf Canyon

Udink
10-08-2007, 08:26 AM
My bro-in-law and I took our boys into the Swell for some hiking this weekend. I found a spot in Google Earth that looked like a miniature Goblin Valley, so we wanted to hike into it (about 1.5 miles round trip) to check it out. Sure enough, it's just like a little Goblin Valley (only about 50 or 60 acres). We also hit the upper end of Calf Canyon to see some pictographs.

asdf
10-08-2007, 08:59 AM
Nice pics.
So where is "Ghoul Gulch" can you map it for me? I have driven by Calf canyon quite a few times but I have never gone into the canyon.

Udink
10-08-2007, 09:15 AM
Here are the GPS coordinates for Ghoul Gulch:

N 39

asdf
10-08-2007, 09:49 AM
aw very nice I need to check this place out.
thank you!

Jaxx
10-08-2007, 10:35 AM
That looks awesome, and no fees or crowds! Thanks for posting. It looks like a long drive in. Did you camp close to the area or just visit for the day?

Udink
10-08-2007, 10:45 AM
It looks like a long drive in. Did you camp close to the area or just visit for the day?
I can get there from my house in Price in under an hour, and the hike is another 30 minutes (with a 4-year-old tagging along). The road is good enough for just about any car. We just visited for the day since it was so close, and now my kids are bugging me to go back next weekend. :lol8:

Jaxx
10-08-2007, 10:54 AM
I can get there from my house in Price in under an hour, and the hike is another 30 minutes (with a 4-year-old tagging along). The road is good enough for just about any car. We just visited for the day since it was so close, and now my kids are bugging me to go back next weekend. :lol8:

Cool, thanks for the info. I definitely want to hit this one, mabey next year though.

R
10-08-2007, 11:34 AM
I'm trying to put together a trip to hike in the Swell the first week in November, and I may have to add this pearl. Looks great - I really want to photograph it! Embarrassingly, I am a much better map reader than GoogleEarth reader. If you have the Trails Illustrated for the Swell, could you scan that portion and post it - I think I am finding it, but I want to be sure. Can you post driving directions? Thanks in advance for any of this you can manage! :nod:

Udink
10-08-2007, 01:08 PM
If you have the Trails Illustrated for the Swell, could you scan that portion and post it - I think I am finding it, but I want to be sure. Can you post driving directions? Thanks in advance for any of this you can manage! :nod:
I don't have the Trails Illustrated map, but the attached topo maps might help (I believe the Trails Illustrated maps are based off the USGS topos, no?).

Starting less than a mile northeast of Castle Dale on UT-10, turn east onto the main graveled road leading into the Swell. This year they added new signage and turning lanes, so this road should be difficult to miss. Continue east for 10.5 miles until you get to White Rocks. At White Rocks, turn south and continue on a graded dirt road for another 3.4 miles. At this point, a short (~600 feet) dirt road turns off to the east and leads to "Hamburger Rocks," and this is where you park. Then just hike southeast for approximately 3/4-mile until you reach "Ghoul Gulch." By the way, the names in quotes aren't official and you won't find them on any maps. :smile:

I'll be camping about six miles from there starting October 25th and going through at least October 30th, if not until November 3rd or 4th. I've got a lot of vacation time left to burn this year. :haha:

accadacca
10-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Way kewl! Thanks for posting this, nice find. :popcorn: :five:

DiscGo
05-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Dennis Udink is the man!!!!

globy
05-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Such a cool place, you got to put it into the trip index so that we know how to get there.

Udink
05-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Man, I had forgotten how cool a place this is. Now I'm wishing I could afford to fuel up the truck and go there this weekend. :lol8:

Here are some more pictures from that weekend.

DiscGo
05-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Man, this looks so cool.

accadacca
04-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Hey Udink, how long will it take to get here from Goblin Valley? Google says 2:50? Is it that far?

Udink
04-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Hey @Udink (http://www.bogley.com/forum/member.php?u=101) , how long will it take to get here from Goblin Valley? Google says 2:50? Is it that far?
Yeah, that sounds about right. The shortest way would be to go north on UT-24 then west on I-70 to exit 131. From there head north on the gravel/graded dirt road through Buckhorn Wash then west on the Green River Cutoff Road. Then it's south on the Hambrick Road 'til you get to the short dirt road turnoff.

Honestly it's probably not worth the trip if you're already coming from Goblin Valley. But if you're already going to be in the Wedge/Buckhorn area it's worth a visit.

accadacca
04-16-2013, 01:03 PM
Thanks man. :2thumbs: