PDA

View Full Version : I finally bought a motorcycle, hello dual sport folks

donny h
10-03-2007, 04:49 PM
I've owned some 10 bikes in my life, but haven't had one for the last 8 years or so, so it's nice to be rolling on 2 wheels again, I got a new Honda XR650L, an old design that hasn't changed since the early 90s.

Used ones are everywhere, but I wanted new, I've never bought a brand new vehicle before, so I'm pretty stoked on the whole deal.

Now all I need is a coupla grand worth of aftermarket parts...

fourtycal
10-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Oh sweet! :hail2thechief: I bought one of those new in 97, it took me on many miles of great trail and highway. The first mod I did was remove that stupid air pump and fabricate a plate to take it's place. Next I added a small rack so I could take a cooler for cold beverages at the top of Slickrock in moab :haha:
You did good :2thumbs:

accadacca
10-03-2007, 07:42 PM
Congrats! Welcome to the club. :2thumbs:

double moo
10-04-2007, 08:05 AM
Congrats!

Jump on Thumper Talk and search "Dave's Mods". this will direct you through ditching the smog crap and opening up the carb. Mine's done and it has better power than stock.

donny h
10-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Congrats!

Jump on Thumper Talk and search "Dave's Mods". this will direct you through ditching the smog crap and opening up the carb. Mine's done and it has better power than stock.

Oh yeah, Thumpertalk is great, I've been lurking there off and on for a couple of years, and I've been totally immersed in TT for the last couple of weeks (along with 4strokesonly and ADVRider) compiling a list of parts I want.

These parts are on order, or in my hands:

Edelbrock card, Supertrapp pipe, Uni air filter, Clarke 4.7gal tank, IMS smog block kit, IMSPro pegs, Ricochet skidplate (Utah product), Works frame guards, XR400 Acerbis front fender, RSW triple clamp (3" risers) and RSW fork brace, UFO hand guards, ProTaper bars, and DualStar mirrors.

All that's in addition to some standard stuff like a chain breaker/press, different sprockets, shop manual, magnetic drain plugs, temperature dip stick, topped off by an absurdley expensive Arai XD helmet.

The only major items that will need work after this initial round of hop-up parts are the suspension, I want a Scotts stabilizer, I need to find the correct Eibach springs for my usage, and I might send out the forks and shock to be revalved and tuned.

This is gonna be fun. :2thumbs:

And, uh, if I start talking now about riding this bike to Alaska, then hopefully I will become that guy that actually does it, so I'm saying it here first: I'm riding this thing to Alaska.

donny h
10-13-2007, 12:29 PM
I bought one of those new in 97, it took me on many miles of great trail and highway.

Do you still have your 97?

My 07 is identical, except for the regular Honda upgrade "bold new graphics".