PDA

View Full Version : flag of mexico flown illegally over Reno business

greyhair biker
10-02-2007, 09:30 PM
http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=201810&Disp=All

If you missed this one I think the guy who took the flag down should be congratulated. No one in his right mind should think that it's ok to fly any flag over the american flag...call me patriotic...Im proud to be an american!

here's a link that will open a video
Link Here (http://www.krnv.com/global/video/popup/pop_player.asp?ClipID1=1800823&h1=Mexican%20Flag%20Flown%20Illegally%20Over%20Loc al%20Business&vt1=v&at1=Video%20Player&d1=213867&LaunchPageAdTag=Video%20Player&activePane=info&playerVersion=1&hostPageUrl=http%3A//www.krnv.com/Global/story.asp%3FS%3D7156726&rnd=61214036)

Kent K25
10-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Well done to the guy who took it down. Very nice. I would honestly hope it was an honest mistake, that he didn't know it was a law and that he was too stupid to realize what statement that would send, but c'mon...you'd have to be pretty dense to not figure out what message people will assume you're sending.

At least he was non confrontational and said all the right things on the phone rather than being belligerent.

JP
10-03-2007, 10:44 AM
I think the guy who took the flag down should be congratulated.
:2thumbs:

COUNTRYBOY
10-03-2007, 01:32 PM
I think the guy who took the flag down should be congratulated.
:2thumbs:

+1
Ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

Sombeech
10-03-2007, 01:42 PM
The business owner was a US Citizen, but when questioned, he pulled the "No Speakah English" action. :haha:

Maybe the dude's innocent, OK, mistake. Maybe he wanted to gain hispanic customers, I can see his honest intent. But choosing to put it on top of Old Glory, well.....

And then the redneck who cut it down (God Bless him) :haha: He grabbed his 1976 commemorative knife that he bought on the Home Shopping Network to cut it down.

He'll have that knife framed, and ready for the interviews. :lol8:

sparker1
10-03-2007, 01:54 PM
One, or both, of these guys can likely be seen on Today tomorrow. :popcorn:

James_B_Wads2000
10-03-2007, 06:20 PM
Funny, the video I say didn

greyhair biker
10-03-2007, 06:35 PM
If the business owner knows what's good for him he'll give a public apology and drop any charges he's thinking of filing. From what I gathered the dude who took the flag down was ex military and obviously was patriotic...the man deserves a standing ovation....

Sombeech
10-03-2007, 07:02 PM
If the business owner knows what's good for him he'll give a public apology and drop any charges he's thinking of filing.

True. If he wants more business, offer an apology, and welcome everybody in. If he fights, he'll lose business while retaining the hispanic business.

But he can have everybody's business if he does the right thing. People will see he's apologetic, and now that there is free marketing on his shop, people will come and see it.

nosivad_bor
10-04-2007, 08:34 PM
If the business owner knows what's good for him he'll give a public apology and drop any charges he's thinking of filing. From what I gathered the dude who took the flag down was ex military and obviously was patriotic...the man deserves a standing ovation....

so breaking the law now deserves a standing ovation? vigilantism is not a respectable trait,.

two wrongs don't make a right even if one of them is patriotic.

James_B_Wads2000
10-05-2007, 06:41 AM

Well if you believe that, then the terrorist have already won. :haha:

James

stefan
10-05-2007, 07:06 AM

Well if you believe that, then the terrorist have already won. :haha:

James

nice one, james :haha:

anything in the name of national security

DiscGo
10-05-2007, 06:35 PM
so breaking the law now deserves a standing ovation? vigilantism is not a respectable trait,.

What do you think the Founding Fathers were doing when they began the Revolutionary War? They broke the law because they saw what needed to be done.

I believe far too many people are afraid to rock the boat and leave the responsibility of doing what is right to other people.
[b]
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile

nosivad_bor
10-06-2007, 06:38 AM
[quote=nosivad_bor]

What do you think the Founding Fathers were doing when they began the Revolutionary War? They broke the law because they saw what needed to be done.

I believe far too many people are afraid to rock the boat and leave the responsibility of doing what is right to other people.
[b]
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile

Sombeech
10-06-2007, 02:18 PM
When you get 2 opponents, neither of which are thinking clearly, it's funny how people feel they need to choose one of the sides. Then the debate is born.

I agree the flag should have been taken down, but the dude was a little wacko/emotional.

And the business owner should have been a little more in touch with the country that let him open that shop.

We feel we should pick a side, even though both have faults. Just an observation.... :cool2:

James_B_Wads2000
10-07-2007, 01:08 PM
When you get 2 opponents, neither of which are thinking clearly, it's funny how people feel they need to choose one of the sides. Then the debate is born.

I agree the flag should have been taken down, but the dude was a little wacko/emotional.

And the business owner should have been a little more in touch with the country that let him open that shop.

We feel we should pick a side, even though both have faults. Just an observation.... :cool2:

I just pick the side oppisite of you beech, irregardlessof the subject. :haha:

James

wojo342
10-08-2007, 09:15 AM
James wrote " irreguardless" Sheesh? AUKM?

stefan
10-08-2007, 10:59 AM
joke?

James_B_Wads2000
10-08-2007, 11:17 AM
I just love using that word.

stefan
10-08-2007, 11:25 AM

i think the guard is a nice touch :haha:

kicks it up a notch :2thumbs:

Gutpiler_Utahn
10-11-2007, 09:55 AM

Than you should probably know that it's spelled irregardless. :2thumbs:

Personally, I applaud this mans actions. Call it what you will, but when you've had people you love die for that flag and what it represents, you GET emotional when it's disrespected. Anybody can complain about it or make a phone call. It's the passionate one's who do something about it. Granted he could have spoken with the owner first, but when you're emotional, as he apparently was, you make decisions based on those emotions.

Good Job Jim. You're welcome at my table anytime. :2thumbs:

hank moon
10-11-2007, 11:46 AM
If you missed this one I think the guy who took the flag down should be congratulated. No one in his right mind should think that it's ok to fly any flag over the american flag...call me patriotic...Im proud to be an american!

Flying another flag above the American flag is not illegal and neither false headlines, ignorance, nor endless repetition of untruths will make it so.

Even if there were a law against it, any federal court would find such a law unconstitutional under the 1st amendment (God bless it). Unfortunately, most Americans fail to appreciate this right and instead support ideas and actions that weaken its influence in American political consciousness.

If you are "proud to be an American," you might meditate a bit more on the principles upon which this country is founded.

stefan
10-13-2007, 11:07 AM
okay, i accidentally selected a couple of the wrong posts when splitting this topic ... soooooo

since i don't know how to put them back, i'll recreate them precisely here. sorry, got the hang of the splitter now.
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
<tr><td>http://uutah.com/forum/images/avatars/9377351646e7522d0377f.jpg</td><td>

hank flying a flag higher than the American flag IS illegal. make sure you know what you are talking about before you pull crap out of your...if you think im wrong, look it up then tell me im wrong.
</td></tr>
<tr><td>http://uutah.com/forum/images/avatars/136760110246157f80b1b61.jpg</td><td>
Commonsense check: if burning the American flag is legal, how could flying one - however irreverently - be illegal?

Look up the statute and you will find:
a) that its language is suggestive (i.e. "should") rather than commanding (i.e. "shall").

b) The only group of people who are "supposed" to comply with the statute (i.e. complyees) are gov't employees who are engaged in flag handling, display, etc. Observance by any other group or individual is voluntary.
</td></tr>
<tr><td>http://uutah.com/forum/images/avatars/92845825046758901888a4.gif</td><td>

to reiterate what hank says, the supreme court has ruled that enforcement of this law is in conflict with one's first amendment right to freedom of speech. the supreme court ruling is the higher law.

this is of course why some are so interested in an amendment.

</td></tr>
<tr><td>http://uutah.com/forum/images/avatars/136760110246157f80b1b61.jpg</td><td>

Hi Chuckmiester

Can you tell us why you thought flying higher is illegal? Common causes of false beliefs :

a) good ol' wishful thinking
b) misinformation or disinformation from a "trustworthy source"

Either of those?

</td></tr></table>

waltny
10-13-2007, 02:38 PM
Not sure where you are getting your info Hank, but this the info I found.

US Code, Title 4 section 7
(g) When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace.

c) No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy. No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place of, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States or any Territory or possession thereof: Provided, That nothing in this section shall make unlawful the continuance of the practice heretofore followed of displaying the flag of the United Nations in a position of superior prominence or honor, and other national flags in positions of equal prominence or honor, with that of the flag of the United States at the headquarters of the United Nations.

I have had the great honor of rendering the colors both here in the states and downrange. I would like to think any vet or active service member would have enough fortitude to make sure the flag got its honors, one way or the other. These of course are my personal views and are not endorsed by the branch I serve or US military/Government.

Here are some pics from a ceremony here on Hill AFB and Im the short army guy...

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u25/waltny/P1010005.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u25/waltny/P1010013.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u25/waltny/P1010006.jpg

greyhair biker
10-13-2007, 02:58 PM
You really ought to check out this site. It might alleviate some confusion.
I, having been a member of the BSA for nearly 30 years, have been involved in several ceremonies where a US Flag has been retired using fire. It is one of the most humbling and emotional experiences I have ever been involved with and I recommend it highly if you ever get the chance to witness it. Yeah, Im a proud flag waiver :nod:

http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html#176

176. Respect for flag
No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.
(a) The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
(b) The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
(c) The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
(e) The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
(f) The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
(g) The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
(h) The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
(k) The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning.

175. Position and manner of display

(f) When flags of States, cities, or localities, or pennants of societies are flown on the same halyard with the flag of the United States, the latter should always be at the peak. When the flags are flown from adjacent staffs, the flag of the United States should be hoisted first and lowered last. No such flag or pennant may be placed above the flag of the United States or to the United States flag's right.
(g) When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace.

stefan
10-13-2007, 03:31 PM
yes that is a "law." but the supreme court has determined that enforcing that law is in conflict with the first amendment (e.g., flag burning, and what not).

if the supreme court makes a ruling ... their ruling supercedes.

that is to say ... judicial review ... checks and balances.

the supreme court has overturned all flag protection laws/acts/etc ... end of story.

until there is an amendment protecting the flag, you'll likely never see any of this change.

therefore you can interpret that "law" that you cite as simply a guideline for the general public.

Bo_Beck
10-13-2007, 04:56 PM
[quote="Sombeech"]When you get 2 opponents, neither of which are thinking clearly, it's funny how people feel they need to choose one of the sides. Then the debate is born. I agree the flag should have been taken down, but the dude was a little wacko/emotional. And the business owner should have been a little more in touch with the country that let him open that shop.

Yeah... amazing that there is such arrogance from "allowed visitors"! Reminds me of the "battle of bighorn"! How dare those folks think they can disobey "our laws"? Geeze...who do they think they are? This is our country and they have the gall to think they have any rights? My god, what has this world come to? :ne_nau: Yep we've been around 231 years now and no wonder why. Long live America and damn those that are proud of their heritage that isn't accepted in "these here parts",