PDA

View Full Version : what you see when you dont have a gun...

greyhair biker
09-29-2007, 07:56 PM
I ran into...litteraly...about 14 head of deer right on trail and in town this morning...

Ride On
09-30-2007, 08:42 AM
lucky i wish i could walk a block from my house and see deer

Brewhaha
09-30-2007, 05:33 PM
I thought we already had a thread started with this topic: the "Idiots with Tattoos" thread.

tanya
09-30-2007, 05:39 PM
You would have killed them!?!?!?!?!?!!? :ne_nau:

:roll:

:eek2: :nono: :rifle: :scared: :2gun: :2guns: :cripple: :eek1: :patch: :assault: :help: :defend: :sad: :? :shock: :cry: :ahhh: :bash:
:rope:

:lobby:

:deadhorse:

:dropmouth:

greyhair biker
09-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Although I love good venison, I havent owned a rifle or hunted in over ten years...not a chance....I dont hunt anymore. The only shooting I do is with a camera :haha:
...I think deer must know that 'cause they have no fear of me :ne_nau:

tanya
10-01-2007, 12:32 AM
:five:

fourtycal
10-01-2007, 07:12 AM
I havent owned a rifle or hunted in over ten years...not a chance....I dont hunt anymore.

:lame:

JP
10-01-2007, 08:00 AM
I see things all the time when I have a gun :haha:

rockgremlin
10-01-2007, 08:37 AM
I havent owned a rifle or hunted in over ten years...not a chance....I dont hunt anymore.

I agree...LAME. You should be hunting if anything to thin the herds. Deer are second only to rabbits as the "stupidest animals on the planet." Around here, both deer and rabbits do extensive vehicular damage because of their curious penchant for stepping out in front of oncoming freeway traffic. I think we average about one roadkilled deer every other day around here. They're so stupid. I've seen how it happens: Deer stands on shoulder of road, vehicle approaches, deer waits, vehicle gets closer, deer doesn't flinch, vehicle is within striking distance, deer jumps IN FRONT of vehicle, WHAM!!

Why not run AWAY from the vehicle? :ne_nau:

sparker1
10-01-2007, 08:54 AM
I learned while driving the motor home through Utah that deer will often try to cross in front of it AFTER they see it coming, but a blast on the air horn scares them away from it.

accadacca
10-01-2007, 03:18 PM

I agree...LAME. You should be hunting if anything to thin the herds. Deer are second only to rabbits as the "stupidest animals on the planet." Around here, both deer and rabbits do extensive vehicular damage because of their curious penchant for stepping out in front of oncoming freeway traffic. I think we average about one roadkilled deer every other day around here. They're so stupid. I've seen how it happens: Deer stands on shoulder of road, vehicle approaches, deer waits, vehicle gets closer, deer doesn't flinch, vehicle is within striking distance, deer jumps IN FRONT of vehicle, WHAM!!

It sounds like you have the worse kind gremlin.. Depressed suicide deer. :lol8:

tanya
10-02-2007, 08:06 AM

Children are pretty stupid too. Should we kill them when they get in the road?

:assault: :ahhh:

I am all for fighting!!! A challenge! Take on something without a gun sort of thing! Survival of the fittest! People are not so tough when you take away their weapons. Instead of killing defenseless things so and enter a tough man contest or something to get out your aggressions. I totally support fighting with someone/something bigger, stronger, tougher or at least your equal, just not an innocent and dumb animal.

:boxing:

packfish
10-02-2007, 10:20 AM
I have 4 in my back field each night. I just purchased the place a month ago and the neighbor tells me I will have 20 to 50 at any one time in the winter. Don't really care to pop one though, there is a kid down the way I see with his bow every night. I am sure I will see one on his 4 wheeler one of these nights. I told him he is welcome to go thru my property if he wants to , just don't shoot one of my pack goats.

fourtycal
10-02-2007, 10:28 AM

:assault: :ahhh:

I am all for fighting!!! A challenge! Take on something without a gun sort of thing! Survival of the fittest! People are not so tough when you take away their weapons. Instead of killing defenseless things so and enter a tough man contest or something to get out your aggressions. I totally support fighting with someone/something bigger, stronger, tougher or at least your equal, just not an innocent and dumb animal.

:boxing:

Hey He's my brother in-law and I'll call his anti hunting jargon lame if I want! If your attack on gun owners is just to defend Greyhair, know that he has handguns and is a pretty good shot with them :five:

And how can you compare human children with animals? :ne_nau: and just cuz I own guns don't mean I can't handle myself in a fight, and people are not bad people just because they own a gun, and hunting is fun and completely necessary in our modern day. Some people get it and some don't.
:soapbox:

rockgremlin
10-02-2007, 10:33 AM

Oh BROTHER!! :roll: Bad comparison. Wildlife not on the same level as children. C'mon Tanya... :haha:

BTW, there is much more to hunting than just "going out and shooting at dumb defenseless animals." Many folks I know around here feed their families with the meat they get from hunting every fall. They stock their freezers full of deer and elk, and that's what they eat throughout the year. Is that bad?

Sure wild animals may be physically stronger than humans, but we are SMARTER, which is why we dominate all other life forms on this planet. In the evolutionary heirarchy, brains will always trump brawn.

CarpeyBiggs
10-02-2007, 12:42 PM

Hell, if I lived in Monticello, I'd be suicidal too. :roflol:

rockgremlin
10-02-2007, 01:26 PM

Hell, if I lived in Monticello, I'd be suicidal too. :roflol:

:roflol: That got me laughing pretty good there... :roflol:

tanya
10-02-2007, 02:24 PM
[hunting is fun and completely necessary in our modern day. Some people get it and some don't.
:soapbox:

Fun? Okay.... getting out with the guys... driving around looking for something to shoot..... yeah ... I can see the fun I guess, but but but but..... Can't you just paint ball shoot the critters or something? Send 'Beech out with an antler hat? :naughty:

There must be better ways to have fun than killing? :eek2:

Why is it necessary? :ne_nau:

What don't I get? (Granted I look at the world in a rather odd way) :mrgreen:

Opps... hit edit instead of a new post. I am not sure what the other said... but oh well. I hate when I do that!

tanya
10-02-2007, 02:25 PM
I learned while driving the motor home through Utah that deer will often try to cross in front of it AFTER they see it coming, but a blast on the air horn scares them away from it.

I never knew that! Thanks Stan! There are so many deer on the roads here!

tanya
10-02-2007, 02:31 PM

Oh BROTHER!! :roll: Bad comparison. Wildlife not on the same level as children. C'mon Tanya... :haha:

BTW, there is much more to hunting than just "going out and shooting at dumb defenseless animals." Many folks I know around here feed their families with the meat they get from hunting every fall. They stock their freezers full of deer and elk, and that's what they eat throughout the year. Is that bad?

Sure wild animals may be physically stronger than humans, but we are SMARTER, which is why we dominate all other life forms on this planet. In the evolutionary heirarchy, brains will always trump brawn.

I know it seems extreme, but the need to go out and shoot things seems pretty extreme too and not macho or manly to me at all.

I don't hold other animals as high as humans but still killing some defenseless animal is cruel and yes I know there are too many deer and that if we don't shoot them then disease will kill them sort of thing. I also understand the eating meat thing and feeding the family, but I doubt that is why many hunt -- perhaps I am wrong, but some men I think do it because they think they are tough when they are out killing the poor things.----- I don't think they are tough at all.

:ne_nau: An odd way of looking at things, but its my way. :mrgreen:

rockgremlin
10-02-2007, 02:48 PM
I also understand the eating meat thing and feeding the family, but I doubt that is why many hunt --

What other reason is there? I have never known or heard of anyone who has ever gone hunting and shot big game for sport, leaving the carcass behind. You paint this picture of men going off into the wilds to do nothing but revel in violence and satisfy their bloodlust by killing innocent creatures. I think you are painting the whole hunting scene with really broad strokes and unfair generalizations. I know many, many good folks who religiously hunt every year who are anything but bloodthirsty or violent.

Incidently, what SHOULD humans kill deer with if not a gun? What about archery? Is that bad too? Should we just chase them down and strangle them with our bare hands? Would that suffice as a "fair" hunt?

NOT trying to pick a fight here, just telling it the way I see it...

tanya
10-02-2007, 03:02 PM
I also understand the eating meat thing and feeding the family, but I doubt that is why many hunt --

What other reason is there? I have never known or heard of anyone who has ever gone hunting and shot big game for sport, leaving the carcass behind. You paint this picture of men going off into the wilds to do nothing but revel in violence and satisfy their bloodlust by killing innocent creatures. I think you are painting the whole hunting scene with really broad strokes and unfair generalizations. I know many, many good folks who religiously hunt every year who are anything but bloodthirsty or violent.

Incidently, what SHOULD humans kill deer with if not a gun? What about archery? Is that bad too? Should we just chase them down and strangle them with our bare hands? Would that suffice as a "fair" hunt?

NOT trying to pick a fight here, just telling it the way I see it...

Don't get me wrong... I LOVE blood thristy and Violent men :haha: !!!!! but I don't think of hunters as those types. I think of them as thinking hunting is macho.... if it's for meat then why not go to the store. Hunting is not cheap. All those little things they need to hunt really do add up. I could make a whole case to be a vegan here too.

I think archery is better, but still technology has made that too so there is no sport.. just slaughter.

Bare hands!!!! Yeah..... now that would be far more even and almost a fair fight! :five:

greyhair biker
10-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Well, in my own defense, when I DID hunt I enjoyed it...but lets clarify a bit. I enjoy getting out in the wild/nature/god's creation and hiking/tracking game/even living off the land if 'n I had to. I hunted for ONE REASON only...I needed the meat to feed my family. You can feed a family for a LONG time on just one Elk. It is expensive if you make it that way, it doesnt have to be. Yes, the initial investments in weaponry,camping gear, etc are to a point but it's like anything you get into you can make it what you want. I NEVER at any time did it for the sport/to thin out the herd/to be macho/whatever. Lots of my friends do however...doesnt make them bad people. The last two hunts I went on I packed in on horseback with friends up in the Hoback area for Elk. Both times I shot my elk and both times I lost the blood trail in black timber - NO one could find it...I was so disgusted with the whole thing and just plain sick about not being able to finish the HARVEST -yes, that is what it is -that I packed up and went home, and called another friend and ordered a half of a beef and a pig - that was a very expensive year. Nowadays I order a half a beef, about 800# this year, and a full pig...already had the freezer investment :nod:
.....I love to shoot handguns, rifles, shotguns, whatever...my whole family knows how to handle a gun, as Fourtycal will attest....he has a very envieable arsenal BTW ----but all this aside, you all do your own thing and just enjoy it okay and I won't judge you too harshly either :nod: :five: :popcorn:

greyhair biker
10-02-2007, 06:17 PM
...BTW, my wife wants a pink 'cricket' and would go to the shooting range in highheels....her words not mine :lol8:

fourtycal
10-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Good job defending yourself there greyhair, and you didn't even have to break out a gun :five: :haha:

The main difference between beef from the store and game animals is one is raised and harvested by ranchers, the other is raised by the utah division of wildlife resources and harvested by hunters. Venison helped our family get through tough times when I was young and I still love to eat it. I can buy beef for much less than I spend on hunting now but I like hunting, call me macho :ne_nau: .
:2guns:

tanya
10-02-2007, 08:53 PM
...BTW, my wife wants a pink 'cricket' and would go to the shooting range in highheels....her words not mine :lol8:

Like any skill... shooting a gun well is SEXY! I like the pink and highheels idea. :lol8:

I am pretty much just being difficult guys. Don't let me give you too hard a time. I have gone hunting and all that kind of stuff too. Maybe I was feeling :Ahnuld: macho at the time.

CarpeyBiggs
10-02-2007, 09:05 PM
I have never known or heard of anyone who has ever gone hunting and shot big game for sport, leaving the carcass behind. You paint this picture of men going off into the wilds to do nothing but revel in violence and satisfy their bloodlust by killing innocent creatures. I think you are painting the whole hunting scene with really broad strokes and unfair generalizations. I know many, many good folks who religiously hunt every year who are anything but bloodthirsty or violent.

Yeah, like these guys???

http://youtube.com/watch?v=eHzvJfK6o-0

rockgremlin
10-02-2007, 09:56 PM
I have never known or heard of anyone who has ever gone hunting and shot big game for sport, leaving the carcass behind. You paint this picture of men going off into the wilds to do nothing but revel in violence and satisfy their bloodlust by killing innocent creatures. I think you are painting the whole hunting scene with really broad strokes and unfair generalizations. I know many, many good folks who religiously hunt every year who are anything but bloodthirsty or violent.

Yeah, like these guys???

Key words: BIG GAME (ie deer, elk)

Rabbits are vermin with long ears.

tanya
10-02-2007, 10:03 PM

Yeah, like these guys???

Key words: BIG GAME (ie deer, elk)

Rabbits are vermin with long ears.

:eek2: They are cute little animals :ne_nau:

CarpeyBiggs
10-02-2007, 10:15 PM
You paint this picture of men going off into the wilds to do nothing but revel in violence and satisfy their bloodlust by killing innocent creatures.

:roflol: Just read your next sentence. Sure, you said big game in your first sentence, but the delineation isn't clear for your next. You called them "creatures." I think rabbits would fit that description.

CarpeyBiggs
10-02-2007, 10:22 PM
I have a feeling Shane will soon post in this thread. In anticipation, let's play a quick little game. We'll call it "predict the post."

1- In Shane's response, he will defend poaching with one of the following arguments:

a) I know lots of people who poach wild game, many of whom are faithful card carrying members of SUWA.

b) I like to hunt big game like I hunt women. Poach 'em and leave 'em. Permits and permission are for sissies. I don't see how people could have a problem with that.

c) Deer are overpopulated anyways. Killing a few and leaving them behind is actually good for the ecosystem.

d) all of the above.

Sombeech
10-02-2007, 10:23 PM
I've killed hundreds of ants within 5 minutes, and left their rotting carcases out in the sun.

CarpeyBiggs
10-02-2007, 10:23 PM
I've killed hundreds of ants within 5 minutes, and left their rotting carcases out in the sun.

But did you revel in your victory?

Sombeech
10-02-2007, 10:29 PM

But did you revel in your victory?

I may have won the battle, but the war still rages on.

rockgremlin
10-03-2007, 06:09 AM
I have a feeling Shane will soon post in this thread. In anticipation, let's play a quick little game. We'll call it "predict the post."

1- In Shane's response, he will defend poaching with one of the following arguments:

a) I know lots of people who poach wild game, many of whom are faithful card carrying members of SUWA.

b) I like to hunt big game like I hunt women. Poach 'em and leave 'em. Permits and permission are for sissies. I don't see how people could have a problem with that.

c) Deer are overpopulated anyways. Killing a few and leaving them behind is actually good for the ecosystem.

d) all of the above.

b), definitely b) :lol8:

BTW, I killed two rabbits on my way to work this morning. I pulled the car over and reveled in my victory both times... :lol8:

Rabbits are soooo stupid. Both times they crossed the road in front of me, and then at the last minute pitched themselves under my tires.

tanya
10-03-2007, 12:27 PM
You paint this picture of men going off into the wilds to do nothing but revel in violence and satisfy their bloodlust by killing innocent creatures.

:roflol: Just read your next sentence. Sure, you said big game in your first sentence, but the delineation isn't clear for your next. You called them "creatures." I think rabbits would fit that description.

Yeah! Take That! ~raspberries~ :bootyshake:

tanya
10-03-2007, 12:28 PM

Are we thinking the same Shane? I think that might be the women leaving him. :haha:

d) all of the above.

tanya
10-03-2007, 12:29 PM

You are so MEAN ..... :eek2:

I think I am getting turned on. :haha:

tanya
10-03-2007, 12:31 PM

d) all of the above.

b), definitely b) :lol8:

BTW, I killed two rabbits on my way to work this morning. I pulled the car over and reveled in my victory both times... :lol8:

Rabbits are soooo stupid. Both times they crossed the road in front of me, and then at the last minute pitched themselves under my tires.

I hit a chipmunk, even though trying to avoid it of course, when I was in college and still have nightmares about it. :ne_nau: