PDA

View Full Version : help purchasing

ericchile
09-29-2007, 08:59 AM
So I think I am going to buy an ATV mostly for plowing and camping.

I am looking to buy a couple years used and have been searching on KSL mostly.

I am thinking about the sportsman 500 or similar rubicon (honda).

What sort of things should I check before buying? I am pretty mechanical (do my own work on the cars).

Any other places to search besides KSL?

Stuck N Utah
09-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Well the first thing you should check is to make sure it doesn't say polaris on the side of it thats a sure sign of a money pit, I'd go for the Honda because no matter how mechanically inclined you are you can't keep those damn polaris's out of the shop. I have an 06 Rubicon and its a great machine you might also want to look at the new Rancher 420 with EFI it would be great for what your looking for and there not to spendy.

Sombeech
09-29-2007, 05:52 PM
Well the first thing you should check is to make sure it doesn't say polaris on the side

:lol8:

ericchile
09-30-2007, 07:35 AM
So many Polaris out there... that there seems to be better deals for them than the Hondas. Maybe thats a sign.

Now Im really confused and the snow is already flying.

fourtycal
09-30-2007, 07:45 PM
Well the first thing you should check is to make sure it doesn't say polaris on the side of it

I second that vote. :roflol: Anything from Honda on it is going to be a good machine, they hold their value well and for good reason. I ride a rancher 4x4 and have yet to find a trail it won't tackle or a load it won't haul.

I have never looked but maybe try,
http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/
http://www.kutvclassifieds.com/

chickenlicken
10-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Don't rule out the Kawasaki's. I've had mine for 6 years, all I've had done is replace the tires and add some rims. My friends have honda's and they are also great machines. The hondas have a bit lower center of gravity which makes them great for climbing slickrock. While I've never owned a polaris, I've heard the same about maintenace issues with them.

ericchile
10-02-2007, 07:33 AM
Thanks for the info guys... I have now moved my search from polaris to honda or "other".

orvis1
10-02-2007, 02:11 PM
If you are looking for a work machine a honda is the ticket. If you are looking for a trial riding machine I understand the ride is not so good. We plow with our Grizzly 700 so nice not to shovel or use the snowblower anymore! :rockon:

fourtycal
10-03-2007, 11:06 AM
While we are talking about what not to buy, :haha: I would add Suzuki and Artic cat to the list. Both have some nice features and if you have a friend that is an atv mechanic and has a great source for factory parts you might be fine with one, but in general, just my opinion that has developed from many friends and horror stories I would avoid them.

My top three would be Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki in that order. :2thumbs:

Stuck N Utah
10-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Something else to look at if you like riding in the mud or going through water is the drive train, while I was in Ak I got really sick and tired of waiting for yamahas to dry there belts off so they could go again.

Reedus
10-25-2007, 08:47 AM
Shoot me a PM if you haven't bought one already. I have the means of picking any type of ATV you want for wholesale.