PDA

View Full Version : Looking for partner to haul me up this - Fri 10/5

Randi
09-28-2007, 01:21 PM
http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/zion/ladymtn.htm

http://www.zionnational-park.com/zion-lady-mountain.htm

Not exactly "haul "the whole way - I can walk on my own! ; )

I'm gonna be in Zion for a day, and would like to do this hike, but don't have the gear/technical know how to do it alone. Anyone just happen to be out there (or local) wanna do this?

~Randi

price1869
09-28-2007, 08:08 PM
The second spot is not too far up the hill; a right facing off width dihedral about 12' high, weighing in at about V-0 or 5.7 yards.

Wow, 5.7 yards? Way to be precise.

(disclaimer: I know what the Yosemite Decimal System is.)

Sombeech
09-28-2007, 08:25 PM
Wow, 5.7 yards? Way to be precise.

Just in case you brought a 5.6 yard rope, and got your hopes up.

asdf
09-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Just in case you brought a 5.6 yard rope, and got your hopes up.
:roflol:

hank moon
09-30-2007, 12:24 PM
Ok, so Tanya needs to do a little updatin' - while you're at it, V0 is way harder than 5.7!

Advice on that point: stick to the YDS and delete the boulder rating.

Cirrus2000
09-30-2007, 02:49 PM
http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/zion/ladymtn.htm

I'm gonna be in Zion for a day, and would like to do this hike, but don't have the gear/technical know how to do it alone. Anyone just happen to be out there (or local) wanna do this?

~Randi
Randi, I wish I was going to be there then - I'd be game to climb/hike that, especially after trying some of my first sandstone trad climbing in Red Rocks last week. What a rush. Unfortunately, I'll be there a week after you.

Hope you manage to find a partner...

Bo_Beck
09-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Ok, so Tanya needs to do a little updatin' - while you're at it, V0 is way harder than 5.7!

Advice on that point: stick to the YDS and delete the boulder rating.

First of all it is rated 5.7 according to me. Errors do happen. 5.7 yards was obviously a typo.

Second.. The chimney that once had a steel ladder is a 1 move problem that doesn't require a rope, but most individuals feel more secure. V0 is the easiest boulder problem and I rate the 1 move problem at V0....should I call it V minus 5? Not! It is a V0 boulder move, but if you want it called 5.7 then we'll call it 5.7 by golly!

tanya
09-30-2007, 07:42 PM
5.7 yards was obviously a typo.

Opps...... :oops:

It's fixed :mrgreen:

Randi! :nono: Quit causing problems. :lol8:

price1869
09-30-2007, 09:30 PM
I thought it was a cute typo.

I walk into the wilderness tomorrow. No backpack, no tent, no pad. If I survive, you'll hear from me before 10/15

Cirrus2000
09-30-2007, 10:50 PM
I walk into the wilderness tomorrow. No backpack, no tent, no pad. If I survive, you'll hear from me before 10/15
Any clothes? Making a TV show?

Good luck!

tanya
10-01-2007, 12:31 AM
I thought it was a cute typo.

Awwwwww :oops:

What kind of Wilderness? The Zoo?

Brian in SLC
10-01-2007, 07:54 AM
First of all it is rated 5.7 according to me. Errors do happen. 5.7 yards was obviously a typo.

Second.. The chimney that once had a steel ladder is a 1 move problem that doesn't require a rope, but most individuals feel more secure. V0 is the easiest boulder problem and I rate the 1 move problem at V0....should I call it V minus 5? Not! It is a V0 boulder move, but if you want it called 5.7 then we'll call it 5.7 by golly!

Here's my TR from when we did Jacob Canyon, on the other side. Makes for a nice loop "hike".

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

Jacob Canyon Descent @ Zion National Park

Overview: Technical canyoneering descent of the canyon located between Jacob and Isaac, exiting in the Court of the Patriarchs. Approach via the Lady Mountain Trail, then 10 rappels, the longest being 215 feet. Compiled by Brian following his and Dwight

Randi
10-01-2007, 08:50 AM
[quote=Randi]http://canyoneeringusa.com/utah/zion/ladymtn.htm

~Randi

Randi, I wish I was going to be there then - I'd be game to climb/hike that, especially after trying some of my first sandstone trad climbing in Red Rocks last week. What a rush. Unfortunately, I'll be there a week after you.

Hey, thanks. I'll actually be back in Zion the following Th. (11th) to do Kolob but am probably
heading to DV after that. Yeah, it's too bad we can't meet up. But thanks a bunch for being receptive to hanging out. Maybe some other time? I'm always game to head to Zion for a weekend! Ugh, looks like you live kinda far away though...

I'm not big into climbing, but I really enjoy it. And I

Randi
10-01-2007, 01:06 PM
[quote]Here's my TR from when we did Jacob Canyon, on the other side. Makes for a nice loop "hike".

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

Jacob Canyon Descent @ Zion National Park

Overview: Technical canyoneering descent of the canyon located between Jacob and Isaac, exiting in the Court of the Patriarchs. Approach via the Lady Mountain Trail, then 10 rappels, the longest being 215 feet. Compiled by Brian following his and Dwight

Brian in SLC
10-01-2007, 02:35 PM
Hey Brian, thanks for the guide that's not a guide ; )
The TR sure sounds detailed enough to follow ~ even for me!
Sounds like that was an exciting trip!

Yeah, great day. Lady Mtn was on my radar for YEARS, but, finally got 'er off the list back then. A friend (seasoned climber, second "non-Lowe" ascent of the Lowe Route on the NF of Angel's Landing) highly recommended it as a fun romp, and he was right.

Bonus was the canyon on the backside, which made for a nice loop. Neat to not have to return the way we came, and, had little or no beta for it besides an old '72 Ascent article with some semi messed up route descriptions (classic "East of the Valley, West of the Gunks"). Chatted with Jeff Lowe a tad about that terrain and what was no doubt his hardware from climbing back in the 70's we used as anchors in Jacob. Pretty neat.

Boulder up to V0 on the Lady Mtn route? Geez, that's what, like 5.10a or so? Nah, not on that route.

Also, my ascent was tainted by the grabbing of the little iron nub with my right hand...so, 5.6 A0...ha ha.

Neat gig. Get an early start. We weren't flying up (or down) the thing, but, we didn't get lost either.

-Brian in SLC