PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Loader Hunt

shagster
09-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Went hunting with the muzzle loader all day yesterday. :cold: I was surprised at the lack of hunters I saw, and how cold it was. :ne_nau: I thought it was going to be packed, but to my surprise I only saw a few other groups thoughout the day. I rode the fourwheeler from Curtis Creek to Randolph to somwehere west of Bear Lake to Hardware Ranch and then back. I got off and hunted several areas, but I saw far more deer sitting right off the side of the road. I ended up seeing about 50-60 does, 3 bucks, a spike and 2 two points, and a cow elk. I sat and watched the 3 bucks for at least 25 min. a piece. The deer were not very spooked at all. I guess I will have to take more time off work next week and head out again. :five:

Anyways how did everyone else do? Or am I the only guy with a muzzle loader tag?

DAA
09-28-2007, 08:15 AM
Sounds like a nice way to spend a day!

Rooster32 has a Book Cliffs ML tag. Anxious to hear how his hunt went out there.

- DAA

COUNTRYBOY
09-28-2007, 01:00 PM
I cant go till Sunday. :frustrated: But there has been a lot of bucks seen where I am going, and I know that there is very little pressure there. My bro saw a few big ones on the archery hunt but couldn't get close enough to fling an arrow. So its my turn. :targetpractice:

tapehoser
09-29-2007, 04:59 PM
I did that last year, but it was in the Southern Region. Must be a LOT more muzzy hunters in the south than in the north. Or perhaps the deer were so plentiful that they all got one on opening day? Good luck!

shagster
09-30-2007, 01:51 PM
Was out again yesterday afternoon. Saw a few does, a two point, and one of those mythical bucks you only hear about. My brother and I were riding back down the mountain right before dark when we saw this buck standing about 50 ft off the side fo the rode. We were on the top of the mountain where it was snowing and we were also in the cloud cover. WE got off the four wheeler and got ready to take a shot. Everytime we got ready to shoot the cloud cover would roll in and take the shot away, I mean it was so thick the buck would disapear and you could only see 5 feet in front of you. This happend about 4 times then the last time I took the gun off of safety and went to squeeze the trigger and the cloud cover filled in before I could get the shot. When it cleared the buck had diaapeared. :ne_nau: I was pissed. We went to see if we could follow it through the trees, but it was getting too dark. We figured the buck to be at least 26 + inches and never did see how many points other than it was a monster. Maybe we will catch up to him again. We have been the only hunters in the area this season. Hopefully he will hang around. :2thumbs:

rooster32
10-01-2007, 01:40 PM
Well....no Book Cliffs deer yet.

Saw and passed up on a ton of 18-22" bucks. Most were pretty spindly or young. Saw 3 that were above the 27" range, but they were very weak up top. Lots of deer like these....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/rooster32/booksdeer1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/rooster32/booksdeer2.jpg

The biggest deer I saw taken was a 22" heavier horned 4 point, but other then that no monsters yet.

I hunted Wed. - Sat am and then bugged out. The weather was getting pretty questionable, so I didn't want to get stuck up there.

I am heading back out tomorrow morning till the close on Thurs..

I'll check back when its over!

COUNTRYBOY
10-02-2007, 10:35 AM
I had some good fortune this year. I found this guy with two other bucks and two does. My son and I debated on whether to take this guy, but I told him that it was his call, and well, I think he will be a hat rack in the boy's room.
I only had Sunday to hunt. So I guess I was more focused on filling the tag than looking for that trophy. Next year I won't care as much about filling my tag, seeing as how I have been successful for 3 years in row.
Also for those that want to know, he was harvested with a T/C Hawken .50 using patch and ball. I was having problems with my other bullets.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k121/jester95/0930070927.jpg

rockgremlin
10-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Geez, the deer in that first photo Rooster32 posted looks anorexic! :haha:

rooster32
10-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Killed this buck the last morning of the hunt...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/rooster32/DSC_2039b_cr.jpg

DAA
10-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Nicely done! Beautiful buck, and you sure earned your chance for him.

- DAA

Caddis
10-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Nice buck Rooster, good deep forks on him.

Sombeech
10-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Killed this buck the last morning of the hunt...

Nice!

accadacca
10-06-2007, 03:17 PM
Your all more talented than I. :nod: Tks for the pix.

rooster32
10-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Thanks guys!

The cape is off to the taxi and the meat is being processed.....life's good!

shagster
10-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Nice buck!! :2thumbs: Well the season came and went too fast as always. Had plenty of chances at smaller bucks, but nothing that was worth shooting. Maybe next year I will find the right one...

shlingdawg
10-07-2007, 09:55 AM
I spent a week up around Hoop Lake w/ my brother & his friend looking for big bucks. We saw a HUGE 4 point monster just outside of Mountain View, WY, but it wasn't in the right state to shoot it.

They passed up a handful of spikes and small two points. They shot at a nice 4 point but didn't hit it. On the last day, the friend shot at a 2 point but didn't get it so we left.

It snowed twice on us but melted both times. Good luck to the Elk Hunters this week.