PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Doing the Ugly Toad of Zion with Tom Jones and Bo Beck....

tanya
09-23-2007, 06:43 PM
It was a fun day and a day in Behunin that I think even Shane would have liked! It was dirty and wet... just like he likes it. :haha:

marc olivares
09-23-2007, 08:02 PM
uh tanya....

http://www.curevents.com/vb/images/smilies/worth.gif

Bo_Beck
09-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Photos of Tanya today in Behunin Canyon

marc olivares
09-23-2007, 08:04 PM
ohhhh dirty!
now were talkin' :naughty:

Iceaxe
09-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Chivalry is dead.... ??? :ne_nau:

http://uutah.com/forum/files/tanya-behunin-2.jpg

tanya
09-23-2007, 08:31 PM
The guys were awesome! Tom even shared his cookies with me! Bo as usual carried almost everything. I did not have to hardly do a thing all day but laugh and scream once in a while when I sunk in quick sand or went in deep cold water. :haha: Wonderful trip!

Just so you cannot say Behunin is always dry...... Check this out!

tanya
09-23-2007, 08:32 PM
ohhhh dirty!
now were talkin' :naughty:

Really Really dirty! I forgot there was a burn up there and wore pink shirts and beige pants..... :ne_nau: I was so dirty at the end of the day! :lol8:

tanya
09-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Another shot of Bo

tanya
09-23-2007, 08:42 PM
Tom Jones Photos...

I have some of Larry and Chris, Tom's friends, but won't post them since they don't post here and you guys don't know them.

tanya
09-23-2007, 09:07 PM
One more of Bo

CarpeyBiggs
09-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Hey, I know Chris... He is fair game, post 'em up. :lol8:

tanya
09-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Hey, I know Chris... He is fair game, post 'em up. :lol8:

Larry too?

Chris did not show his face much, but I have lots of his backside :mrgreen:

Chris Photos

tanya
09-23-2007, 09:35 PM
Larry Pictures

CarpeyBiggs
09-23-2007, 09:35 PM
I haven't met Larry, but I met Chris while I was up in Vancouver this summer. Really cool guy, and he is doing some great explorations up on Vancouver Island and vicinity.

Great TR and pics, almost makes Behunin look fun! Right Shane? :lol8:

sparker1
09-24-2007, 05:11 AM
Thanks for the TR and photos. Why so many of the guys from the rear, and none of you?

oldno7
09-24-2007, 06:19 AM
THX tanya

looks like Tom has lost his love for the atc-xp,noticed he's been using a pirana lately.

surely you'll post more pics Tanya :2thumbs:

Bo_Beck
09-24-2007, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the TR and photos. Why so many of the guys from the rear, and none of you?

Because I shot the photos of Tanya with her Camera, and when I'd go down before her and pull out the camera to shoot photos of her coming down the batteries were always missing :ne_nau: Not really, but I did shoot a LOT of photos and I'm sure you'll see some of her on rappel soon :2thumbs:

Bo_Beck
09-24-2007, 06:26 AM
THX tanya

looks like Tom has lost his love for the atc-xp,noticed he's been using a pirana lately.

Tom suggested that the Pirana was a prototype......you could hear him coming down from a MILE away!!!!!!! :haha:

Iceaxe
09-24-2007, 07:40 AM
Tom suggested that the Pirana was a prototype......you could hear him coming down from a MILE away!!!!!!! :haha:

Is that good or bad? :ne_nau:

That's one of the fun things about going with Tom, often you get to test out new gear and ideas.

:popcorn:

Bo_Beck
09-24-2007, 07:48 AM

Is that good or bad? :ne_nau:

That's one of the fun things about going with Tom, often you get to test out new gear and ideas.

Don't know if its good or bad? It was certainly easy to know who was on the rope at the time! That thing groaned and squeeked LOUD! If nothing else it could be used as an emergency signalling devise! :2thumbs:

Scott Card
09-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Thanks for posting Tanya and Bo. Didn't recognize Behunin with all the water. Looks like a different canyon.

tanya
09-24-2007, 11:49 PM
I will get an album made for Behunin and put up a few more photos from the trip. :nod:

tanya
09-24-2007, 11:51 PM
Thanks for posting Tanya and Bo. Didn't recognize Behunin with all the water. Looks like a different canyon.

Yeah.... it was really wet! The only thing was it was full of that black stuff from the burn. It was so DIRTY!

tanya
09-25-2007, 12:01 AM
THX tanya

You know I have to make a whole album of the canyon. Sort of a wet and a dry album. Here is the dry album from last time we did Behunin. It looked much different this time!

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/index66.htm

Jaxx
09-25-2007, 08:39 AM
Very nice pictures! Thanks for postin'

Bo_Beck
09-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Tanya - On Rappel

sparker1
09-26-2007, 05:02 AM
Thanks, Bo. It's good to see the girl in action.

Bo_Beck
09-26-2007, 06:34 AM
Thanks, Bo. It's good to see the girl in action.

Yep! She's quite the Canyoneer! The rope was wet and muddy and on the way down the muddy water would peel off the rope and totally saturate your clothing. Those creme pants and pink shirt weren't quite as bright as the smile on her face when she got down! :haha:

:2thumbs:

Bo_Beck
09-26-2007, 07:07 PM
Haven't seen a rise from Iceaxe yet? Maybe it just wasn't wet enough in Behunin to stimulate him?

Ok....is this wet enough for you Shane??????

Bo_Beck
09-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Haven't seen a rise from Iceaxe yet? Maybe it just wasn't wet enough in Behunin to stimulate him?

Oh...and PS: Thanks to Cindy Purcell (Past District Backcountry Ranger Zion) for the photo. I was busy under the falls trying to give a conditional belay to two folks trapped under the "wave". Fortunately we lost only 600' of rope, two packs, a couple harnesses and some other misc. gear and no LIVES! Walls of water are scary in Behunin!

tanya
09-26-2007, 07:33 PM

Oh...and PS: Thanks to Cindy Purcell (Past District Backcountry Ranger Zion) for the photo. I was busy under the falls trying to give a conditional belay to two folks trapped under the "wave". Fortunately we lost only 600' of rope, two packs, a couple harnesses and some other misc. gear and no LIVES! Walls of water are scary in Behunin!

You are trying to stimulate :cold: ? I have tried for years.... I don't think he stimulates. :mrgreen:

tanya
09-27-2007, 06:43 AM
You have to tell the story now Bo....

How the entire SAR Team and Zion's head ranger almost got taken out in Behunin!

Bo_Beck
09-27-2007, 07:19 AM

Whut ? :ne_nau: I was just out for a casual stroll and when I looked up there it was! :eek1: Water! and lots of it!

I'll post when I get my :asshat: on and find a little time.

Bo_Beck
09-27-2007, 07:48 AM

Ok I found a moment and also located my :asshat:

Don't rember the year but Cheto Olais and Cindy Purcell had just been assigned as Cheif Ranger and District Backcountry Ranger at Zion. We had a SAR training scheduled for that weekend and they wanted to see "Their SAR Team" in action. We thought it better to show them "Their Park" so decided to take them through Behunin. It was only drizzling off and on that day I promise! Well...needless to say it was a beautiful day for a hike until the 2nd to last rappel. IT LET LOOSE! 9 of us had to get out of there real fast. Simul raps were the faire. Everyone down except Tony and Karl. Simul rapping the last rap and maybe 35' down as I was giving conditional belay at the bottom, it went dead silent (the waterfall from majestic had been deafening up until this moment)...I looked up and A HUGE wave slowly blackened the sky...the silence soon was filled with O WHOOOOSH. Logs, rocks, trees, sand...all started coming down but the wave had enough lateral momentum that it went over the heads of Tony and Karl ( I couldnt see them) but maintained my grip on the ropes as the area I was in filled with water and threatened to take me downstream. Soon I hear screams and there they both were. I swam/ scurried left and scrambled up on a buttress to give tham a pool to land in and then grabbed their hands one at a time and pulled them up onto the rock aside me.

We out of 9 members, lost 2 harnesses, 2 packs about 600' of rope, but were alive to talk about it and learned a lesson we should have already known

:bath:

Take a shower in the bathroom....not a canyon!.

Scott Card
09-27-2007, 07:58 AM
:dropmouth: Holy cow. I am glad I don't have that story. Was the water hitting that gigantic boulder at the bottom and sending it back your way? Yikes. But a pretty good welcome to the park if I do say so my self. Hello rangers, come see your park, come see your park flood, see the flood up close and personal. Run ranger run. :nod: Baptism by flash flood. :haha:

Bo_Beck
09-27-2007, 08:10 AM
:dropmouth: Holy cow. I am glad I don't have that story. Was the water hitting that gigantic boulder at the bottom and sending it back your way? Yikes. But a pretty good welcome to the park if I do say so my self. Hello rangers, come see your park, come see your park flood, see the flood up close and personal. Run ranger run. :nod: Baptism by flash flood. :haha:

Here's another picture. The rock you see on the right side of both pictures is the "Big Rock" you are referring to. The initial "Wave" I was told hit on top of the boulder, but then the water hit the frontside and came down where you touchdown on the freehang. You know that talus area. That area was a river and was where I was standing/swimming trying not to be swept downstream.

Bo_Beck
09-27-2007, 08:13 AM

Here's another picture. The rock you see on the right side of both pictures is the "Big Rock" you are referring to. The initial "Wave" I was told hit on top of the boulder, but then the water hit the frontside and came down where you touchdown on the freehang. You know that talus area. That area was a river and was where I was standing/swimming trying not to be swept downstream.

If you look closely at the picture on the left you can see 2 ropes and Tony and Karl partway down the buttress which is the last rappel in Behunin. You can also see the waterfall that was coming off Mt Majestic that was deafening just prior to the "Wave that shot out of Behunin.

Jaxx
09-27-2007, 08:24 AM
If you look closely at the picture on the left you can see 2 ropes and Tony and Karl partway down the buttress which is the last rappel in Behunin. You can also see the waterfall that was coming off Mt Majestic that was deafening just prior to the "Wave that shot out of Behunin.

That looks intense. I hope I never have to deal with that. Was it looking cloudy before you entered or did it come on you while you were in the canyon. One of my fears is that we will be in a canyon and a thunderstorm will come in on an otherwise clear day and catch us by surprise.

Bo_Beck
09-27-2007, 08:32 AM

That looks intense. I hope I never have to deal with that. Was it looking cloudy before you entered or did it come on you while you were in the canyon. One of my fears is that we will be in a canyon and a thunderstorm will come in on an otherwise clear day and catch us by surprise.

:asshat: No...it was a good chance for rain in the afternoon...thus my headwear in this post. It was cloudy on the way up and didn't start drizzling until the 3rd to last rap. IT LET LOOSE WITH A VENGENCE at the top of the 2nd to last rap. It was thundering and clapping lightening up canyon big time when we got to the top of the 2nd to last rap. We should have had better sense than to be in a canyon that day. :asshat: :asshat:

But you know sometimes we think we are invinsible! :stud:

Scott Card
09-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Oh man, that's nutz. Thanks for sharing.

CarpeyBiggs
09-27-2007, 10:36 AM
WOW. What a story. That is just crazy, awesome pictures too.