PDA

View Full Version : It's raining in St George...

mfshop
09-22-2007, 08:16 AM
We're getting a good drenching down here today! Any good spots to watch the water runoff/waterfalls near here? Preferably somewhere easy to get to in the rain...or maybe even tomorrow when it's sunny. thanks!

sparker1
09-22-2007, 08:50 AM
Snow Canyon might be good for what you want, although I've never seen it in wet weather.

Win
09-22-2007, 11:34 AM
I just got back from Zion. it was pouring! We did a little playing around on the slickrock between Checkerboard and Quilt Mesa. Those pot holes were filling quickly and the water run off was neat.

I wanted go do Many Pools but my boss was wet and cold.

Cockeyed Falls was not running, but we saw a few in the main canyon on the way out.

Mfshop, you need to get out to Zion while it's raining. The water drains off really quick and the waterfalls stop really fast.

Win

mfshop
09-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was jogging once in Snow Canyon the day after a good rain, and there was still some nice flow down one of the washes. Pretty neat.

Win, yeah, I should try to check out Zion when it's raining one of these days. Both my state & national park passes expired recently, and I'm trying to hold off renewing for at least a little while...any other suggestions?

tanya
09-22-2007, 07:24 PM
Zion was awesome today with all the waterfalls!!! I could not see on I15 however on my way to St. George due to the fog... scarey!

There were such high and gorgeous waterfalls on the east side of the park!

COUNTRYBOY
09-22-2007, 11:17 PM
I never want to be there again during a storm, but years ago some friends and I got caught on the Angles Landing trail during a down pour. We stopped at Scouts Look out. The waterfalls coming of the sides of Refrigerator Canyon were awesome.

tanya
09-23-2007, 04:49 AM
I LOVE hiking in Zion when it's flooding! I prefer to not be in a slot at the time though. :mrgreen:

COUNTRYBOY
09-23-2007, 05:10 AM
+1 :2thumbs:

Win
09-23-2007, 07:02 AM
I headed back up last nite and stopped along 9 outside Rockville where there was a huge mudslide going on. I had to be a smart a$$ and get closer and slipped right into a nice mud puddle. What a freakin' mess I was. My Canon is off to their service area in the AM, nice and muddy ,too.

I'm heading up to Zion in a bit.

Win

sparker1
09-23-2007, 07:56 AM
Sorry about that, Win. Hope the camera comes through it OK, or did you want a new one?

Win
09-23-2007, 08:22 AM
Stan, I was really close to getting a 40D for backup, this may have pushed me over the top. I'll be curious to see how much the repair is and next to see if the 24-70 still works!

Win

At least I got a picture:

http://www.fototime.com/ACF8964E6CB35B4/standard.jpg

COUNTRYBOY
09-23-2007, 04:09 PM
I feel for ya Win. I dropped my Cannon in the lake while letting a fish go. It worked long enough for me to get it home and download the photos. I am taking it to Camera Country tomarrow to see if there is hope.

:wallbash:

americanhero
09-23-2007, 05:06 PM
sorry to hear that about your camera, Win. I hope, a repair is possible. :roll:
I dropped my old camera earlier this year and a repair was impossible. But afterwards I was totally happy I had to buy a new one.

tanya
09-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Great Photo! I hope your camera comes out okay. I dropped my Olympus and then waited a couple of years and only had to get the body. By that time the body was cheap!