PDA

View Full Version : Spooky

AFI
09-20-2007, 09:25 PM
We are headed down with young kids (5 and 2 yrs.old) to hit calf creek. Has anyone attempted to hit spooky or peek a boo with kids? From what I have read they look tough just because they are narrow but don't want to make a mistake. Any thoughts?

CarpeyBiggs
09-21-2007, 06:55 AM
They are perfect for kids, but you will have to be very careful with them on some of the climbs. There is a 10 foot climb up into Peek-a-boo from the dry fork, and then depending on how far you go in spooky, there are some small upclimbs. Brimstone is probably to big of a day for the kids to walk down there and still enjoy it. It's a 15 minute walk farther down the dry fork, maybe longer with kids.

Brian in SLC
09-21-2007, 07:31 AM
We are headed down with young kids (5 and 2 yrs.old) to hit calf creek. Has anyone attempted to hit spooky or peek a boo with kids? From what I have read they look tough just because they are narrow but don't want to make a mistake. Any thoughts?

Went with friends who had a toddler and a baby in a backpack. No problemo. Was a sierra club type group of older folks in there that got bummed about seeing the young kids and one of them said something. Both parents weren't shy about givin' 'er right back. Was uncomfortable for a second, then hilarious.

One thing I'd watch for, that I'm not sure is always in issue, but, we saw around 5 dinky little rattlesnakes in Spooky. All at "kid" level too. It was cold in the canyon, and the snakes were super docile, but, that wouldn't be a good thing if a kid played with one, methinks.

I think if you were only 3 feet tall, Spooky would be easeir...kids have a blast in there.

-Brian in SLC

marc olivares
09-21-2007, 08:01 AM
my kids (2&5 at the time) loved both spooky and peekaboo (we do as a loop, up P down S) if the entrance to P is to wet and muddy to get up, dont get discouraged. simply walk left of the canyon opening and follow the smaller side drainage. you'll go up a sandy hill and it connects you with the upper section of peekaboo. from here you can walk back into the swirlies or continue up canyon to finish the loop.
spooky is much easier walking down for kids than up so this loop is a good one. i carried my 2 year old in a back until the sections narrowed, then she was on her own.

i'll back what Brian said about the snakes, i've seen little snakes in there every time i've been in there. so tell them to be careful.

stefan
09-21-2007, 09:05 AM
that photo is adorable ... one for the pic bar?

AFI
09-21-2007, 09:28 AM
Awesome - thanks for the info!

AFI
09-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Here are some pics from the trip
We hit the Peek-a-boo/Spooky Friday night and then lower calf creek on Saturday and Bryce on Sunday morning. Awesome trip and the kids loved it. We were glad we stayed in some small cabins instead of camping with all the rain we got Saturday night.

sparker1
09-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Good pics, very nice family. Glad the kids went for it.

Jaxx
09-25-2007, 08:41 AM
Awesome. I am going to have to take the family next year. I was worried about taking them but I think they can make it. Thanks for posting the pics.