PDA

View Full Version : New trail development - unnamed

greyhair biker
09-17-2007, 08:57 PM
a few of us up here have been looking at this area for years now and we finally got up the guts to go and build. The area is less than 15 min from my front door by bike!
I've still got a few ladders to install and rockcairns to put up here and there but the area is literally covered with building materials - just need handtools, and guts!

RedSpecialized
09-18-2007, 08:48 AM
That looks like it will be a pretty fun ride. I'll have to try it out when I'm in Wyoming sometime. See if I have the GUTS to ride it.

greyhair biker
09-18-2007, 09:23 AM
I'll try to get better action shots too but it's hard to do when youre so focused on the build.....and balance, keeping skin on the body, breakage, you know...stuff like that. :haha:

accadacca
09-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Coolness. . . :cool2:

scoutabout
09-20-2007, 01:11 PM
Is this an area open for cross-country mechanized travel? Did the land manager approve making improvements to build an actual trail?

I'm just wondering where stefan and scott paterson are on this. If it was a motorcycle trail, they'd be calling the police.

Just curious what people thought about that.

Jaxx
09-20-2007, 01:16 PM
Is this an area open for cross-country mechanized travel? Did the land manager approve making improvements to build an actual trail?

I'm just wondering where stefan and scott paterson are on this. If it was a motorcycle trail, they'd be calling the police.

:roflol:

looks cool. I rode my bike for the first time in 6 years without my kids this past weekend and I got killed. I decided I either need to step it up and get in shape or just give up. I haven't decided yet :haha:

Ride On
09-20-2007, 03:06 PM
i'll go ride it next time im there.

tanya
09-20-2007, 03:14 PM
You can name it .... Tanya Trail! :lol8:

greyhair biker
09-20-2007, 03:45 PM

well, it's physically impossible (I think) to get a motorcycle up in where we're building, at least it wouldnt be any fun riding for a few dozen feet & then walking the bike but the area is covered with old motorcycle trails...at least above this area. It can be accessed from whats called the Gunsight trail. It will never be an officially mapped trail because of who owns the land but they told us as long as we dont know 'officially' about it they wont do anything, as is evident of the years of useage. It's also within 3 -4 miles of the shooting range...even though it's to the side of it it still falls within the NRA 'out of bounds' zone.

greyhair biker
09-20-2007, 03:46 PM
You can name it .... Tanya Trail! :lol8:
:naughty:

greyhair biker
09-29-2007, 07:51 PM
Got back up yesterday morning to check new developments the guys have been working on. Here are some of them...

live2ride
09-30-2007, 10:43 AM
your not a kidding that is a long way to fall if you miss. Looks like sweet trail development up there. Very nice job.

greyhair biker
10-02-2007, 08:40 PM
I rode this again this afternoon on my GT(I drive) and full pads again....what a BALL! The trails' still has a bunch of refining to be done but all in all it took me about 1 1/2 hrs...it's only about a 10 minute ride from the house to the trailhead like Ive said and technical right from the start. Most of it takes real balance and even some patience...move too fast and youre going down :eek2: It's just screaming "RIDE ME!!"

greyhair biker
10-09-2007, 06:16 AM
Here's a short video of one of many drops on this trail.

http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l113/wliedtke/?action=view&current=159.flv

REDFOX
10-09-2007, 08:40 PM
That trail is looking great ! I may need to make the drive to Wyoming to try some of those drops. :2thumbs:

RedSpecialized
10-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Count me in! Can you ride this ride in the winter?

greyhair biker
10-11-2007, 05:52 AM
Count me in! Can you ride this ride in the winter?
Hmmm...never tried it yet....I guess we'll see :2thumbs:

greyhair biker
10-23-2007, 08:11 PM
We were out building today...I think we are a bit certifiable really 'cause this trail is gonna be SICK! Here are a few more pics...more ladders and more to come.

Sombeech
10-23-2007, 08:42 PM
Those ladders look sweet.

greyhair biker
10-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Ok - out again today to cut some trail...and a couple more ladders...

Sombeech
10-24-2007, 08:11 PM
What are you going to name this trail?

greyhair biker
10-24-2007, 08:22 PM
not sure yet..but 'chutes and ladders' was toyed with, also 'lunatic fringe' because of all the sick exposure. There is an old trail above this area called 'Gunsight Trail' and several chutes/drops come down from it so stuff like 'AK47' 'rapid fire' 'balistic line' - whatever so far. We were too busy building to think of a name :haha:

greyhair biker
11-02-2007, 08:57 PM
got a few more pics from todays' ride...the one guy riding the off camber stuff is Max...he is 62 years old! He is an amazing rider for his age...incredible!

greyhair biker
11-04-2007, 06:59 PM
another group out on the trail...got lots of pics of this group sent to me but all in a pdf file...cant get them to work so here's one of a guy jumping.

greyhair biker
11-18-2007, 03:16 PM
more pics from Saturdays ride...three new guys on the trail...

live2ride
11-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Looks like a sweet trail, what kind of distances are you riding out there, is it a loop or what. Great job on the trail building, I would love to come and ride that, but it looks as though the cold weather is coming!

greyhair biker
11-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Looks like a sweet trail, what kind of distances are you riding out there, is it a loop or what. Great job on the trail building, I would love to come and ride that, but it looks as though the cold weather is coming!
I'd love to have you come up and ride...yes the weather is gonna suck but HEY, if'n it ainta rainin or a snowin....
and I think the trail is about 7 miles long. Another friend sent me a map he GPSed out just a few days ago and it is longer than I figured it was...I was too wrapped up in how technical it was to figure out how long it was :haha:

live2ride
11-19-2007, 01:12 PM
I will come and ride it even if I do freeze my :bootyshake: off. I love to ride when the weather gets cold because there are no crowds, something which I would think isn't a problem up there on this trail.

greyhair biker
11-19-2007, 03:56 PM
No way to crowd this trail man. I just got back from riding it about 20 min ago...actually, when I have little time I ride half of it...takes about an hour that way from my house.
Oh, and I was sent the wrong map stuff...seems its about 3-4 miles of actual trail - not 7. I figured as much but it's a damn gruelling trail though. I took my Dh rig...I just seem to keep finding more drops and jumps to hit, and the flow is getting better too. Trailbuilding is very time consuming stuff. I put up more cairns and stuff today (neverending).
The only way you wouldnt be able to ride this trail is if it was either soaking wet or frozen and slick. Body armor wouldnt be enough to help you if you slipped over a cliffface. Cold is not a problem if its dry.
SO, after thanksgiving when I get back up here I'll have time to get ready for an outing when you decide to come up. :2thumbs:

greyhair biker
01-01-2008, 03:23 AM
:eek2: gotta get some pics but this trail is NOT rideable this time of year....too dangerous!

greyhair biker
03-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Ok - I couldnt take it - I had to at least try to ride this trail. The phone takes crappy pics but they are better than nothing.

fourtycal
03-29-2008, 10:28 PM
:hail2thechief:

greyhair biker
04-05-2008, 12:13 PM
Ok - this trail has now been named
'Lunatic Fringe'

now we have another new trail getting built - I'll get some pics when I can get out on it. Yet another awesome trail with shelf jumps, table tops, cliffs and the like :2thumbs: :five:

live2ride
04-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Ok - this trail has now been named
'Lunatic Fringe'

now we have another new trail getting built - I'll get some pics when I can get out on it. Yet another awesome trail with shelf jumps, table tops, cliffs and the like :2thumbs: :five:

I like the name wade, fits it perfect! I am dying to get out and ride, SNOW GO AWAY!!!

greyhair biker
04-06-2008, 11:12 AM
I am SO stoked!! The 'crew' have been out again building trail, this time it's an extention of sorts of a well established trail up here called Brent N Mikes. This on is pure singletrack though with ways around the 'features'. Here are some pics to tease and to please -

Gixxer
04-07-2008, 09:01 AM
pure singletrack though with ways around the 'features'.

incredible!

jinx
04-07-2008, 09:17 AM
you guys should copyright the sweat pants while riding a bike look...

accadacca
04-07-2008, 12:47 PM
:lol8: Yep, thats a good look.

greyhair biker
04-07-2008, 02:16 PM
:lol8: Yep, thats a good look.
:roflol: the way you know its not me is that I only wear spandex :lol8:
Here are some from my ride this morning. This was so fun I had to ride it twice and I could'nt take pics of most of the drops - I was alone at the time and would rather ride than take pics.

greyhair biker
04-11-2008, 07:26 PM
We went out and worked on the trail today. The pics speak for themselves :2thumbs:

accadacca
04-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Sickness. . . :five:

glasscutter
04-11-2008, 10:41 PM
Very cool trail, looks like alot of hard work but it'll be great when it's done!

greyhair biker
05-06-2008, 07:18 PM
The first trail, Lunatic Fringe, has a sign now - and some deer as usual

greyhair biker
05-06-2008, 07:20 PM
I almost forgot. The 'new' trail - the one with the bridge off the big rock - has nearly been doubled in length and has several sick ladders/bridges added...sorry, no pics yet but incredible just the same!

Axpence
05-08-2008, 08:58 AM
wyoming is just too far, where in wyoming is this? google earth it for me/

greyhair biker
05-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Here you go...or you can Google Earth Green River, WY 82935

greyhair biker
05-16-2008, 10:58 PM
here are a few more from last nights ride. The new trail flows very well and there are many new bridges and ladders...just havent come up with a name for the trail yet...

greyhair biker
06-24-2008, 12:18 PM
cheezy mugshot from todays ride. Had to check out the trails, and they are sweet. Hot out today but still bearable. No one else out here for miles it seemed...a few deer & lots of bunnies. Dry as a bone.

greyhair biker
08-05-2008, 07:42 AM
a few more from my group up here.

greyhair biker
10-19-2008, 02:13 PM
Went out Saturday morning hiking the last section of the trail, decided to try to take some video....ended up going back out on it that afternoon and taking the bike for my maiden offroad voyage and many more videos. I've posted them on YouTube so I'll only put a few on here for now.
video from the morning hike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgkQFdaxLBY

some from the afternoon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bltfCPDf9Y4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDC-TnT5KEQ

this one was actually from up near the trailhead :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D80D9PjB2Po

bbennett
10-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Very nice :hail2thechief: ! That looks like a lot of fun. It's good to see that you don't hold any hard feelings towards the Salsa. It is the same one that cast you off its back and took you out for the season, right?

Sombeech
10-19-2008, 02:23 PM
video from the morning hike

Sweet, one of these days we'll get up there to ride it.

Hey, what were you filming with, and what software did you use to compress it? Looks like pretty high resolution on YouTube.

greyhair biker
10-19-2008, 02:48 PM
:haha: I have forgiven the Salsa...it still is a fun ride.

Ok Beech'...I am about illiterate when it comes to video. I just used my Canon PowerShot SD550 ELPH 7.1mp with video feature to take these. I don't have a clue of what I'm doing but I did figure out that in this mode the videos better be short or they will be too big to upload. I will invest in a real video setup in the spring( I can get them from my bikepart suppliers)

Kent K25
10-19-2008, 08:53 PM
:haha: I have forgiven the Salsa...it still is a fun ride.

Ok Beech'...I am about illiterate when it comes to video. I just used my Canon PowerShot SD550 ELPH 7.1mp with video feature to take these. I don't have a clue of what I'm doing but I did figure out that in this mode the videos better be short or they will be too big to upload. I will invest in a real video setup in the spring( I can get them from my bikepart suppliers)

What price can you get for the Helmet Hero Wide? It retails at $189

greyhair biker
10-20-2008, 06:59 AM
Apparently the Helmet Hero is what I have available for $173

Helmet HERO wide

Up to 56 minutes of video with 2GB SD card(not included), with 512x384 resolution at 30fps
3-megapixel sensor with built in 16MB memory
Adjustable sound recording levels
Automatic photo every 5 seconds mode
PC and Mac compatible, Driver free
Always-on mode lasts over 3 hours, powered by 2 AAA batteries (included)
Shockproof and waterproof (to 100 feet) digital helmet camera (Digital HERO 3) that also mounts to bikes, cars, skis and more
Works with any vented or non-vented helmet

I say apparently because my supplier has it listed as discontinued...means I can't get the 'wide' - don't even have it listed.

The Digital Hero is what I can get still:

Digital HERO 3

Up to 56 minutes of video with 2GB SD card(not included), with 512x384 resolution at 30fps
3-megapixel sensor with built in 16MB memory
Adjustable sound recording levels
Automatic photo every 5 seconds mode
PC and Mac compatible, Driver free
Always-on mode lasts over 3 hours, powered by 2 AAA batteries (included)
Shockproof and waterproof (to 100 feet) wrist camera that shoots digital video and photos
Compatible with helmet HERO expansion kit
Compatible with HERO bike mount kit when used with the Universal QR housing

It's going for $143
I get my new catalogs in the early spring so I don't know what will be available yet.

The other camera equipment I can get:
Twenty20 VholdR

Small, compact, wearable camcorder
192 degree rotating lens with twin lasers for frame aligning
Anodized aluminum case for protection
Easy-to-hit on/off switch even with thick gloves
Sealed rear door houses rechargable battery (included) with up to 2 hours' life and micro SD card slot (not included)
Built-in Fine Line compression processor delivers clean lines and sharp colors
Trail mount interface allows attachment virtually anywhere (helmet mount included)
Video recording rate is 50 minutes per 1GB, with a resolution of 640 x 480 (480 lines) at 30fps
-currently going for $399

VIOsport POV.1

Includes POV.1 recorder with LCD, camera head, LVDS cable, USB cable, 1GB SD card, wireless remote, POV Manager Software, Analog A/V cable, AA batteries, mount and case.
High-quality wearable video camera records with 720 x 480 resolution at 30fps
Single-handed operation and hands-free video capture
Components are shock-resistant, water-resistant and dustproof for use in the most hazardous environments
-currently $765

Kent K25
10-20-2008, 08:06 AM
Helmet Hero Wide is discontinued? It was my understanding that this was recently released and replacing the less expensive option. Weird.

greyhair biker
10-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Helmet Hero Wide is discontinued? It was my understanding that this was recently released and replacing the less expensive option. Weird.
That model was discontinued by my supplier. I don't think that means it was by the camera MFG. Bike part suppliers have a tendency to do that almost yearly AND I only know what I see in my catalog...like I said, I am illiterate when it comes to this stuff :ne_nau:

greyhair biker
10-21-2008, 10:06 AM
I just discovered that the new Hero Wide you are referring to is coming out in the 09 catalog...it is probably available from someone(other than my supplier). My info is for the 08 - I guess I'm in the middle of the year/model change and don't have all the info I need. Nothing is discontinued...my supplier just needs a few bolts tightened in his neck :haha: I'll do better research on it and updates to follow.

check out their website:
http://www.goprocamera.com/

Kent K25
10-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Good, that makes more sense. I thought it was a brand new release, guess it is.

Thanks for the update.

greyhair biker
05-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Here's a short video from this mornings' ride with the helmet camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLvWjS0hWgk

I tooke this at the downhill section

accadacca
05-10-2009, 08:42 AM
Here's a short video from this mornings' ride with the helmet camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLvWjS0hWgk

I tooke this at the downhill section
Very cool! Hauling A man. :popcorn: