PDA

View Full Version : Sunflower seeds anyone?

Sombeech
09-13-2007, 09:27 PM
The harvest is here. Got any hiking trips planned? Take some.

I just plucked and washed most of the seeds today and I'm drying them out in paper bags. I picked the flowers off a couple of days ago.

I'll probably cook some up tomorrow. I've got some yummy recipes in mind.
Salted
Butter
Garlic Butter
Lime
Tabasco
Ranch
BBQ
Dill
any other ideas?

I may even send some samples out to y'all. Looks like I'll have plenty.

I'm quite proud of my tallest sunflower. I should've measured it, but I'm @ 6'1" (depending on what time of day it is) and I'm guessing it stood 11 feet tall. :cool2:

Cirrus2000
09-14-2007, 12:13 AM
Dude! Serious harvest! :cool2:

Alex
09-14-2007, 05:16 AM
Nice Justin, bring some to work :2thumbs:

Kent K25
09-14-2007, 06:24 AM
Man, some of those recipes sound awesome!

RugerShooter
09-14-2007, 06:53 AM
I've had some of Justin's seeds, they are great

KillEmAll
09-14-2007, 10:46 AM

I hope we are still talking about sunflowers here. :haha:

accadacca
09-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Coolness. . .I would like to try some. :cool2:

greyhair biker
09-14-2007, 12:23 PM
:dropmouth: holy cow dude! -winter storage.... :lol8:

savanna3313
09-14-2007, 12:48 PM

I just plucked and washed most of the seeds today and I'm drying them out in paper bags. I picked the flowers off a couple of days ago.

Salted
Butter
Garlic Butter
Lime
Tabasco
Ranch
BBQ
Dill
any other ideas?

Cajun - of course! Roast some using some Tony Cachere's seasoning.

greyhair biker
09-14-2007, 12:53 PM

Salted
Butter
Garlic Butter
Lime
Tabasco
Ranch
BBQ
Dill
any other ideas?

Cajun - of course! Roast some using some Tony Cachere's seasoning.
hey - that's good stuff there - I have it in my stash! Hey, try a mix of Cholula hotsauce and teriyaki....ummm - delish!

RugerShooter
09-14-2007, 01:04 PM

I hope we are still talking about sunflowers here. :haha:

Yes the sunflowers of course

Mtnman1830
09-14-2007, 03:18 PM
try some jerky seasoning...

I liked the salt and pepper Zotes....

Sombeech
09-14-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm cooking the first batches now.

Salt

Garlic Salt Butter

and just for savanna, Cajun. :twisted:

tanya
09-14-2007, 06:07 PM
Those are a little tall for my taste, but I have been wanting to plant sunflowers around our rental house.

How do I go about it?

Sombeech
09-14-2007, 06:47 PM
Those are a little tall for my taste, but I have been wanting to plant sunflowers around our rental house.

How do I go about it?

Piece o' cake. Actually, most of these will only get to be about 9 feet. This one grew at a 45 degree angle which helped increase it's height.

It depends if you want to harvest the seeds or not. If you do, there are several types, I think these are called "Mammoth". Very inexpensive.

If it's just for decoration, they've got all kinds of mixed colored ones, like just to the right in the first picture. You can see the dark brown and orange ones, they get about 7 feet tall. No edible seeds, smaller heads.

How to grow:
Plant the seeds @ 1" deep. They don't need much water, but it always helps.
You can plant them in groups of 2 or 3, then thin them out when about 6" tall, or you can just plant them about a foot apart.

No maintenance after that. You'll be amazed at how fast they grow, and how well they decorate the yard.

Each packet of @30 seeds is probably 2 bucks.

Sombeech
09-14-2007, 06:50 PM
My Salt n Vinegar batch just came out. Very good. Very tangy. :nod:

I'll try Ranch next.

tanya
09-14-2007, 07:00 PM
Just for decoration. I have graveyard tonight and am bored. Want to drive me down some. :lol8:

Kent K25
09-14-2007, 10:41 PM
Can I paypal you some cash to get some shipped my way? I love seeds and would love to try out some home grown and home flavored ones. PM me and let me know.

Bo_Beck
09-15-2007, 04:42 AM
I'll probably cook some up tomorrow. I've got some yummy recipes in any other ideas?

Honey Mustard??????

Good looking harvest! Almost as big as the 2 harvests that have happened on Pine Valley Mountain in the past 2 weeks!

http://tinyurl.com/ysxp9v

accadacca
09-15-2007, 05:43 AM
Want to drive me down some. :lol8:
Yeah, bring that uutah shirt too; pre-soaked. :lol8:

tanya
09-15-2007, 10:35 AM
He is all talk and no action!!!! He never showed!

:lol8:

tanya
09-16-2007, 12:38 AM
I'll probably cook some up tomorrow. I've got some yummy recipes in any other ideas?

Honey Mustard??????

Good looking harvest! Almost as big as the 2 harvests that have happened on Pine Valley Mountain in the past 2 weeks!

:eek2: Are you saying that little Mormon boy, 'Beech ... is harvesting intoxicating substances. :mrgreen:

tanya
09-16-2007, 03:02 AM
Want to drive me down some. :lol8:
Yeah, bring that uutah shirt too; pre-soaked. :lol8:

I think he is afraid! You will have to drive that motorbike down and do it. :twisted: :lol8:

Bo_Beck
09-17-2007, 06:59 AM

Honey Mustard??????

:eek2: Are you saying that little Mormon boy, 'Beech ... is harvesting intoxicating substances. :mrgreen:

I would never imply that! He just looks proud of that fine harvest of his, and he ought to be. I can't say that the farmers of the crops recently harvested north of town here would be as proud, nor I don't think we'll see a picture of them posing as proud owners :roflol:

Shan
09-17-2007, 10:25 AM
That's alot of seeds! Yum!

We used to make teepees (or tipis?) from the sturdy stalks and old sheets. Sometimes a whole village complete with a fire pit! Mom didn't like the fire pit in her yard.

Sombeech
09-17-2007, 03:18 PM
We used to make teepees

This reminds me. Did you hear about the Native American who drank 1000 cups of tea? He drowned in his own TeaPee.

greyhair biker
09-17-2007, 03:20 PM
We used to make teepees

This reminds me. Did you hear about the Native American who drank 1000 cups of tea? He drowned in his own TeaPee.
...oh brother....you read too much Boys Life mag when you were a kid didnt you.... :lol8:

savanna3313
09-18-2007, 07:02 AM
We used to make teepees

...oh brother....you read too much Boys Life mag when you were a kid didnt you.... :lol8:

That would fit in the same category as the following:

Confucious say: "Those who fart in church, sit in their own pew" :fart:

:roll:

Sombeech
09-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Can I paypal you some cash to get some shipped my way? I love seeds and would love to try out some home grown and home flavored ones. PM me and let me know.

I've still got a lot of these. I've been waiting for them to dry out, and to see if any of my recipes caused violent diarrhea before I gave any away.

I've still got plenty of uncooked seeds just drying in paper bags, deciding which recipe to use.

So far I've got
Cajun
Lemon Pepper
Tabasco
Salt
Vinegar
Ranch Garlic
Garlic Butter

The Tabasco really has a good kick, good flavor. The Cajun is decent, but salty. The plain Salt is OK, but doesn't last long. Vinegar is really tart, a little too much for me. The rest are pretty good.

No need to pay me. Just put in some requests for flavors, and I'll find a way to get a baggie down to you.