PDA

View Full Version : Braggin' on my Cuz

Iceaxe
09-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Just thought I'd do a little braggin' on my cuz..... from my mamma's side...
And YES... I have raced her.... and YES she beat me....

Weber State runner chasing her Olympic goal
By Michael C. Lewis - The Salt Lake Tribune

Until just a few months ago, Ogden's Lindsey Anderson never envisioned herself as an elite international athlete. She figured she would finish her college track eligibility at Weber State, maybe run a fall marathon while finishing her degree, and then settle down to start a family.

Ten minutes on the track changed everything.

When Anderson ran the best 3,000-meter steeplechase of her life to start her final college season barely five months ago, she began to realize just how far her talent could take her. And once that happened, the 22-year-old Morgan native discovered a whole new frontier for her running career - a revelation that she now believes will deliver her to a historic starting line at the 2008 Beijing Games in China next summer.

"I expect myself to be there," she said.

With good reason.

Though far from a running prodigy growing up, Anderson is now among the world's best in the steeplechase, which will be contested by women for the first time in Beijing. Her personal-best time of 9 minutes, 39.95 seconds makes her the fourth-fastest American in the event this year - it's also the NCAA record - and she recently returned from her first major international competition at the World Outdoor Track & Field Championships in Japan, where her confidence continued to soar despite failing to advance to the final.

"It was so exciting just to be able to race over there," she said. "And the longer I was over there, the more I felt like I deserved to be there. When I first realized I made the championships, I was so excited to go. But when I was over there, and being with the rest of the team, I thought, 'You know what? I deserve to be here.' "

Anderson never would have thought such a thing last spring.

But she began her final college season with the Wildcats by running 9:46 at the Mt. SAC Relays, a massive improvement from her previous best of 10:20 that illustrated the effect of training under new coach Paul Pilkington, a former All-American for the Wildcats who returned to WSU as an assistant coach two years ago.

A former world-class marathoner - he's most famous for unexpectedly winning the 1994 Los Angeles Marathon after being hired as a "rabbit" to lead others through the halfway point on a fast pace - Pilkington helped Anderson increase the volume and intensity of her training.

"She had worked hard before," Pilkington said, "but I think we redefined what 'hard' was."

Although her specialty race consists of only 7 1/2 laps of a 400-meter track, plus hurdles and water jumps, Anderson ran as many as 85 miles a week during her most challenging training. Pilkington added a lot of long intervals and faster "tempo" runs designed to increase Anderson's strength and stamina, and before long, Anderson was dropping her times all over the place.

She already had finished seventh at the NCAA cross country championships last fall, two years after not even qualifying for the event, and run personal-bests at 3,000, 5,000 and 10,000 meters.

Then, she ran that 9:46 that surprised even Pilkington, and a whole new world of possibilities opened up for her.

The time was fast enough to qualify for both the world championships and the Olympics, meaning that as long as Anderson finishes in the top three at the U.S. Olympic Trials next summer at legendary Hayward Field at the University of Oregon, she will become part of the historic field for the steeplechase in Beijing.

"She's always been confident with her running and her coaching," said Mark Anderson, her husband and fellow former track teammate at Morgan High School. "But with Pilkington, she actually started to believe that she could do it. And it was never an, 'I can do this.' It turned into, 'I will do this.' "

Not bad - especially for a woman who ran a modest 5:09 mile in high school, received scholarship offers from only Weber State and Southern Utah, and nearly quit running midway through her junior year in college out of frustration at her lack of progress.

"I never felt, up to that point, that I'd run as fast as I could," she said.

But Anderson said she knew that Pilkington and his unique distance running expertise could help her "get to where I wanted to be." So she re-dedicated herself to training last summer, and set the stage for her remarkable ascent this year.

Now, instead of preparing to run the Chicago Marathon next month - she had already paid the entry fee - and perhaps starting a family soon after, Anderson will be working toward her goal of reaching the steeplechase final at the Olympic Games, "not just getting there," as Pilkington said.

That would assure her a place in the pantheon of great Utah steeplechasers that includes Brigham Young's Henry Marsh, WSU's Farley Gerber and the trio of women - Michaela Mannova, Elizabeth Jackson and Kassi Andersen - who won national and collegiate championships in the event before it was allowed into the Olympics. Josh McAdams of BYU won the men's collegiate steeplechase title last year, and is a strong contender to join Anderson in Beijing.

It won't be easy, however.

Though she finished third at the USA Outdoor Track & Field Championships in June and picked up an endorsement deal with Nike along the way, Anderson faces strong competition from at least four other Americans, three of whom have run faster than she has this year.

Pilkington figures Anderson needs to improve her finishing speed and knock another 10 seconds off her time, but both of them agree that it will be easier to train for one important race without the exhausting schedule of college cross country and track races getting in the way. Anderson will be student-teaching at Fremont High School this fall to finish her degree in education, though, which will force her to train only before and after school for at least a few chilly months.

Thinking of the possible reward, however, warms her like a fire.

"I would love to make it to the Olympics, and my dream would be to do well in the finals," she said, eyes wide. "Obviously, with not making the finals at the world championships, getting through the trials and finals would be huge . . . and doing well would be the ultimate."

LINDSEY ANDERSON FILE
* Ran the 3,000-meter steeplechase in 9 minutes and 57 seconds in sweltering heat at the World Outdoor Track & Field Championships in Japan last month, but failed to reach the finals.
* In order to reach the 2008 Beijing Games, she must finish in the top three in her event at the U.S. Olympic Trials next summer in Eugene, Ore.
* Her personal-best time of 9:39.95, set at Stanford's Cardinal Invitational in April, made her the fourth-fastest American this year, with the eighth-fastest time.
* Russia's Gulnara Samitova-Galinka holds the world record in the event at 9:01.59, while Russia's Yekaterina Volkova has run the fastest time this year in 9:06.57.

COUNTDOWN
Second in a monthly series about Olympic hopefuls with Utah ties leading up to the 2008 Games.

TEN MINUTES ON THE TRACK CHANGED EVERYTHING
. . .
The 22-year-old Morgan native discovered a whole new frontier for her running career - a revelation that she now believes will deliver her to a historic starting line at the 2008 Beijing Games in China next summer.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site297/2007/0911/20070911__spt_olympics_0911~1_Gallery.jpg
Lindsey Anderson, who set the NCAA record for the 3,000-meter steeplechase at Weber State, is pursuing a berth in the 2008 Summer Olympic Games.

KillEmAll
09-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Nice. I just got through reading the article in the Trib at lunch.

Iceaxe
07-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Just a little update if anyone cares....

Steeplechase, hammer finals include Utahns
The Salt Lake Tribune
07/01/2008

Morgan's Lindsey Anderson easily qualified for the finals of the women's steeplechase at the U.S. Olympic Trials for track and field on Monday night, running the third-fastest time in a semifinal heat at Hayward Field in Eugene, Ore.

Layton's James Parker advanced to the finals of the men's hammer throw, as the former Northridge High star and Utah State All-American seeks to make his second Olympic team.

A former Weber State standout, Anderson ran her 3,000-meter race in 9 minutes, 49.71 seconds, and finished second in her semifinal heat behind Nicole Bush in 9:49.53.

Anderson needs to finish in the top three in the final on Thursday night to make the team for the 2008 Beijing Games in China.

"I wanted to go out quick so it wasn't a sitting race. It was a good pace, so I feel good" for the final, she said. "I didn't care about winning this one. I wanted people to come out and stay with me. I wanted to make it an honest race."

Joining Anderson in the final will be former college teammate Sariah Long of Ogden, who qualified by running 9:56.72 in the same semifinal.

sparker1
07-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Unless you were on a motorcycle, beating you probably didn't take her best effort. :lol8:

Iceaxe
07-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Unless you were on a motorcycle, beating you probably didn't take her best effort. :lol8:

Ouch!!! that was just plain cruel....

:stud:

sparker1
07-01-2008, 06:17 PM

Ouch!!! that was just plain cruel....

:stud:

Sorry, the truth sometimes hurts.

savanna3313
07-01-2008, 06:26 PM

Damn Sparky! You are a true smart-ass! :haha: I love it! :2thumbs:

sparker1
07-01-2008, 06:53 PM

Damn Sparky! You are a true smart-ass! :haha: I love it! :2thumbs:

Aw, shucks.

Iceaxe
07-04-2008, 11:24 AM
:banana: Lindsey's going to the Olympics. :2thumbs:

U.S. Olympic track and field trials: Former Weber State star earns berth in 3,000 meter steeplechase
The Salt Lake Tribune
Article Last Updated: 07/04/2008 01:50:36 AM MDT

EUGENE, Ore. - Coming around the final turn of the biggest race of her life, Morgan's Lindsey Anderson was all alone in second place.

No lead ever felt more satisfying.

Needing to finish in the top three to qualify for the first women's steeplechase ever contested in the Olympics at the Beijing Games later this summer, Anderson ran like never before at the U.S. Olympic Trials for track and field at legendary Hayward Field late Thursday night.

The former Weber State standout completed an astonishing rise to the top of her sport by blowing away her previous best time on a cool and breezy night and assuring she will be part of an historic event in China, not even two years after expecting to finish her college career uneventfully and pursue a career in teaching.

"I can't even think of the words to describe how I feel," she said. "It's just so unbelivably amazing, and any good word you could use to describe it."

With her husband, parents and three sisters watching from the stands - her twin Angela wore a T-shirt emblazoned by hand with the words "my twin is faster than your twin" - Anderson ran with the leaders from the start and finished second in 9 minutes 30.75 seconds, an improvement of nearly 10 seconds over her previous best time.

"It was so exciting coming down, knowing that I was going to make the Olympic team on that last straightaway," she said. "There are absolutely no words to describe that feeling."

Thousands of fans roared a deafening ovation as Anderson sprinted the final straightaway behind Anna Willard, who broke the American record in 9:27.58, and far ahead of third-place Jenny Barringer of Colorado, the two-time NCAA champion who many regarded as the race favorite.

Not that Anderson knew it.

"I wasn't going to look," she said, "and I wasn't going to let down at all."

Her family could barely stand it, either, even though her cushion seemed safe. "I'm still shaking, man," her husband Mark said nearly 30 minutes later. "I'm still shaking."

Moments after crossing the finish line, Anderson turned with a huge smile and hugged Barringer, then Willard, and accepted a small American flag to wave before commencing surely one of the longest victory laps in track history.

Eventually donning a white Team USA jacket and accepting a bouquet of flowers, she hugged her friends - fellow former WSU runner Sariah Long finished 12th, in 10:00.62 - slapped five with fans she had never met, and even signed her autograph on a baby girl.

"Right on her belly," Anderson said.

Only a modestly achieving runner for most of her career at Morgan High School and WSU, neither Anderson nor her family ever expected she would run professionally after college. But she made a remarkable transformation in her senior season, vaulting herself into the world of elite international track and field.

The breakthrough 9:39.95 she ran for the Wildcats in the spring of 2007 still stood as her personal best when she took the same Hayward track on which the fearless Steve Prefontaine once ran, and she responded to the biggest challenge of her life with a boldness the legend would have appreciated.

She ran with the lead pack from the start, unconcerned with a blistering record pace. She knew that if she could stay with Willard and Barringer, she would be fine.

"It just fit perfectly with what she wanted to do," Mark Anderson said. "Exactly."

By the time two laps remained in the 7 1/2-lap race, in which runners must leap over 30-inch hurdles and a water pit on each lap, the top three had started to open a gap on the rest of the strung-out field. With 600 meters to go, they were well clear, setting up a final lap that was comfortable for everybody except those involved.

"Get to the finish line," is all Anderson could think. "Let's go!"

When it was over, Anderson became the first track athlete from Utah to qualify for Beijing, though others can join her in the next two days.

Former Brigham Young All-American Josh McAdams and Ogden's Michael Spence will run the final of the men's steeplechase after advancing out of their semifinals on Friday night, and Provo's Josh Rohatinsky and Ogden's Seth Pilkington - son of WSU coach Paul Pilkington, who coaches Anderson - will contest the 10,000 tonight, about the same time Layton's James Parker attempts to make his second Olympic team in the hammer throw.

"I know I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight," Anderson said. "I'm going to be up, probably just running in my sleep, not being able to calm down. I'm just so excited."

sparker1
07-04-2008, 06:20 PM
That's great. Now you can say you were (just barely) beaten by an Olympian. Way to go, cuz. :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
08-11-2008, 11:01 AM
My cuz sent me these pics from opening ceremony.

Iceaxe
08-11-2008, 11:13 AM
I have been told these are the dates and times (Mountain Daylight Time) for the Women's 3000m Steeplechase.

Women's 3000m Steeplechase Qualifying
Date: 15 Aug 2008
6:25 AM Mountain Time

Women's 3000m Steeplechase Final
Date: 17 Aug 2008
7:30 AM Mountain Time

:jump_nutt:

sparker1
08-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Gotta be a wonderful time for her. Go Lindsey.

packfish
08-11-2008, 12:10 PM
:2thumbs:

Iceaxe
08-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Said she was surprised that Boozer and D-Will knew all about the other athletes from Utah and the events they were entered in. I believe opening ceremony was the first time they ever actually met.

savanna3313
08-11-2008, 11:31 PM
What an experience! Best of luck to her! :2thumbs:

abirken
08-12-2008, 09:41 PM
WOW ICE! This is very impressive. I wish her the best and will totally keep up on this. She's like a superwoman! :2thumbs: :nod:

savanna3313
08-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Saw her interview on KSL earlier tonight. Seems like a really sweet and grounded young lady. Are you sure she's related to you Shane??? :haha:

Go USA! :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
08-15-2008, 08:31 AM
For those playing along at home....

Lindsey finished 8th out of 17 in her heat race and did not qualify for the finals.

Women's 3000m Steeplechase Results
http://www.nbcolympics.com/trackandfield/resultsandschedules/rsc=ATW033900/index.html

:popcorn:

sparker1
08-15-2008, 10:17 AM
Too bad, but she has a great experience to remember and share with others.

I just ordered the DVD of 2008 Olympic highlights.

KapitanSparrow
08-15-2008, 10:54 AM
I'm sure we'll see here again in 4 years.

Iceaxe
08-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Olympic track: Utahn can't beat the heat, but honored to be in historic steeplechase event
By Michael C. Lewis - The Salt Lake Tribune

Posted: 7:53 AM- BEIJING - Lindsey Anderson chugged around the track at the Bird's Nest national stadium, eyes fixed on the runner far ahead, knowing she had to make up ground in the steeplechase at the Beijing Olympics and straining to find that extra gear to make it happen.

It never did.

The Morgan native and former Weber State star was sapped by the heat trapped inside the stadium on an otherwise beautiful summer evening, and her legs refused to perform the way they had so spectacularly at the U.S. Olympics Trials last month.

She finished only eighth in the first heat of the first women's steeplechase in Olympic history as a result, and did not advance to the final on the first day of track and field competition here.

"My breathing felt fine," she said. "My legs just weren't quite there for me, so it's a little frustrating."

Anderson finished in 9 minutes, 36.81 seconds - the second-fastest time of her career - while her husband, parents, sisters and in-laws watched from the stands. But she was nearly 15 seconds behind fourth-place Cristina Casandra of Romania, the final runner to automatically qualify for the final.

The top four finishers in each of three heats advanced, along with the next three fastest runners from any heat.

World-record holder Gulnara Galkina-Samitova of Russia won the heat easily in 9:15.17 - the heat included three of the seven fastest women this year - while Anderson ran alone for the last three laps. Ultimately, she was about eight seconds away from qualifying for the final on time.

"I kind of knew that I wasn't going to be able to catch up to that fourth, or even fifth or sixth place," Anderson said. "So as hard as I was trying, just knowing that fact, it's hard to get that gear, that adrenaline going again."

Still, Anderson said she was thrilled by her first Olympic experience, and wants to try to do it again at the 2012 London Games.

How that all will work out, with her desire to start a family equalling her desire to keep competing, she's not sure yet.

But for the moment, she was honored to compete in a historic race on behalf of all the female steeplechasers from Utah - from Elizabeth Jackson to Michaela Mannova and Kassi Andersen - who won collegiate and national championships before her and helped legitimize the sport before it was accepted into the Olympics.

"Walking into that stadium and seeing all those people who are so excited to watch the races and be a part of this history was just unreal," she said. "You can't beat that feeling of being out there running in front of them."

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site297/2008/0815/20080815_095819_steeple2_400.jpg
Lindsey Anderson, center (No. 3135), a Morgan High School alum and former Weber State star, clears the water jump along with the other competitors in the first women's 3000-meter steeplechase heat in the National Stadium at the Beijing 2008 Olympics on Friday, Aug. 15. Anderson finished in 8th place. (Chris Detrick/The Salt Lake Tribune)

Felicia
08-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Dang! She did great! :2thumbs: