PDA

View Full Version : Schanze's at it again

shlingdawg
09-11-2007, 09:33 AM
This douchebag cracks me up. He's the ultimate attention whore.

Schanze Flies Paraglider Within Feet of Boat

It appears former computer man Dell Schanze is back to his flying stunts. The latest? He piloted his ultralight paraglider within feet of a boat sailing on the Great Salt Lake. Schanze claims he did "nothing illegal."

The Island Serenade sets sail for sunset cruises on the Great Salt Lake year 'round. The cruises are billed as peaceful and beautiful. But on Friday night the cruise was disrupted by someone who told KSL he wasn't breaking any rules.

Photos were taken Friday night, just as the Island Serenade set sail with 43 people on board. Suddenly an ultralight glider swooped down in front of the boat.

The boat's captain, Clint Baty, said, "On one of his banks he came in front of us and turned, and I thought he was going in the water. He didn't miss the water by six feet."

"This thing would buzz across and bank in front of us, turn and come behind us, and came back from behind," Baty said.

The captain says the ultralight made four or five passes and was gone within a couple of minutes.

We zoomed in this photo and could plainly see it is Dell Schanze in the pilot's seat. Last summer he pleaded no contest to public nuisance charges for flying his paraglider along I-15 during morning rush hour.

I called Schanze for an explanation about Friday's incident. He told me those on the boat enjoyed his air show and were waving to him and taking his picture.

He said everything he did was "totally legal," adding, "It's a question of rules, and I obey the rules."

I asked him about getting within feet of the boat. He responded, "I can fly right by someone, as long as I am not putting them in danger."

"The only reason those people should have been scared was if I landed in the water. I can fly an inch away from the boat and not endanger anyone," he said.

That's not the opinion of the boat's captain.

"I felt like he was endangering the boat and the people in it," Baty said.

We checked court records and found that Schanze's probation from two misdemeanor cases both expired in the last few weeks.

The FAA has already issued Schanze a warning letter from the paragliding incident last year. The next step could be a fine and an order keeping Schanze on the ground.

LINKY (http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=1783601)

Iceaxe
09-11-2007, 09:59 AM
http://scottwax.com/rice/ratedr/attention%20whore3.jpg

rockgremlin
09-11-2007, 10:27 AM
I don't understand why the media can't leave him alone. They follow him almost as much as they chase ambulances. :roll:

Give the guy a break. Let him live his life already!

shlingdawg
09-11-2007, 10:32 AM
I don't understand why the media can't leave him alone. They follow him almost as much as they chase ambulances. :roll:

The guy brings it on himself. He thrives on it.

savanna3313
09-11-2007, 10:33 AM

Come on.....he loves it! :cool2: I think when the media has left him alone too much, he has to go off and do another "fly-by" to get attention headed back his way. It's not exactly subtle to buzz the I-15 during peak traffic hour. :haha:

jmho

:popcorn:

rockgremlin
09-11-2007, 10:52 AM
It's not exactly subtle to buzz the I-15 during peak traffic hour. :haha:

Ya, but it was subtle to buzz some lonely boat out on the Great Salt Lake. The only way the media caught wind of it was because someone on the boat opened up their big yapper and gave the local news media a call.

I hate the media!!! Don Henley said it best:

I make my living off the evening news
Just give me something-something I can use
People love it when you lose,
They love dirty laundry

Well, I coulda been an actor, but I wound up here
I just have to look good, I dont have to be clear
Come and whisper in my ear
Give us dirty laundry

Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre up
Kick em all around

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who
Comes on at five
She can tell you bout the plane crash with a gleam
In her eye
Its interesting when people die-
Give us dirty laundry

Can we film the operation?
Is the head dead yet?
You know, the boys in the newsroom got a
Running bet
Get the widow on the set!
We need dirty laundry

You dont really need to find out whats going on
You dont really want to know just how far its gone
Just leave well enough alone
Eat your dirty laundry

Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down

Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre stiff
Kick em all around

Dirty little secrets
Dirty little lies
We got our dirty little fingers in everybodys pie
We love to cut you down to size
We love dirty laundry

We can do the innuendo
We can dance and sing
When its said and done we havent told you a thing
We all know that crap is king
Give us dirty laundry!

shlingdawg
09-11-2007, 10:57 AM
A boat w/ 43 people on it isn't exactly "lonely".

savanna3313
09-11-2007, 12:46 PM
It's not exactly subtle to buzz the I-15 during peak traffic hour. :haha:

Ya, but it was subtle to buzz some lonely boat out on the Great Salt Lake. The only way the media caught wind of it was because someone on the boat opened up their big yapper and gave the local news media a call.

I agree with you 100% that the media sucks for the most part. But I think SuperDell likes the attention and brings it on himself. :blahblah:

savanna3313
09-11-2007, 12:47 PM
A boat w/ 43 people on it isn't exactly "lonely".

:2thumbs:

Jaxx
09-11-2007, 12:55 PM
too bad the people on the boat didn't shoot him down with their flare gun, or atleast shoot it in front of him. It's not illegal to shoot flares, just like it's not illegal to buzz boats, right?

accadacca
09-11-2007, 08:11 PM
:asshat:

James_B_Wads2000
09-12-2007, 06:55 AM
Kind of off topic but: Has anyone ever taken a cruse or gone sailing on Great Salt Lake? I have always wanted to do it.

James