PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat video

DAA
09-11-2007, 06:55 AM
Just for grins...

Called in a bobcat the other day. Season doesn't open for quite awhile yet, so he got a free pass. Pretty rascal.

Click here for the video (http://photos.imageevent.com/daffleck/coyotes/EarlyBobcat.wmv).

Notice how at one point the cat freezes, then turns towards the camera. That was when my buddy who was sitting below me (I was running the camera), shifted his weight just a tiny bit - the cat made us instantly when he did that. You know what they say about curiousity and cats though. Even after making us, the cat still had to go finish investigating the sound so he went right up to the caller and the decoy, then flared off a bit. He stopped once more towards the end - you see him look at the decoy, then look at me, then at my partner, then he's OUTTA THERE!

Anyway... Kinda slow around here, waiting to here about some of y'alls archery Elk hunts, and it's always cool seeing these cats come in to the call, so I figured I'd post the vid just for grins.

- DAA

fouristhenewone
09-11-2007, 07:24 AM
Okay - DAA, I swear my purpose isn't to start a huge argument here, i just can't not ask you this question. Last time you and I had a discussion, it was about coyotes, and how much you appreciated their beauty, etc. but still hunted them. You made some fairly convincing arguments regarding the fact that they couldn't be overhunted, and so on.

I'm confused about why you would want to hunt bobcats though? I mean, I've lived in Utah all my life and have seen a total of two, and yes, I understand cats are reclusive but, I have to believe they don't have nearly as large a population as coyotes do, and likely don't breed as rampantly either.

So, why? Also - that video was awesome. I can see why someone would want to lure a bobcat in to video tape it, they are pretty little animals that you'd rarely see otherwise. But, then to shoot it? I don't get it? it's not even sporting, I mean, you clearly were able to get the thing within a hundred yards....

Jaxx
09-11-2007, 08:28 AM
Those are cool looking animals, nice vid. Is it hard to get a permit for Bobcats? I have never seen a Bobcat and I hope I never do, while hiking.

But I have seen a cougar...
http://www.byucougars.com/athletic_department/images/cosmo2.jpg

:roflol:

Iceaxe
09-11-2007, 08:49 AM
DDA your video's are sweet. :2thumbs:

DAA
09-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Aside from just the fun of doing it, which is really the primary reason I hunt at all, I hunt bobcats for their fur. A nice prime bobcat will bring $250 on average, with really nice specimens bringing twice that. Fur is a wonderful renewable resource.

Bobcat are managed as fur bearers in Utah though. Completely different than coyotes, which aren't managed at all, but are classified as varmints. Bobcats have a season, and a bag limit and you have to buy temporary possession tags. The DWR sends out quesionnaires to anyone who gets tags to obtain data on days spent afield per cat taken etc., they require you to bring in at least a jaw bone from every cat to obtain permanent possession tags. They use the jaw to gather data on average age, sex, health etc. of the cats being taken. In other words, the bobcat population in the state is managed pretty intensively, and there is zero danger of over hunting or harming the population (my opinion, anyway...).

Note - according to the data gathered by the DWR, 98% of all bobcats taken in Utah are taken by traps and snares. Recreational hunters who actually go out and call them in to the rifle, such as myself, account for a statistically insignificant portion of the over all annual bobcat taken in this state. Literally, far more bobcats get run over by cars, than killed by hunters like me.

As far as not seeing many, and thinking that means that there aren't many, well... You just don't know where or how to look. Using techniques developed specifically for the purpose of assessing the numbers of bobcat in an area (which I won't discuss on the internet - very few hunters know how to do this either), and looking in the right places, I could take you out on just about any given date and we'll see bobcats. They are there, in just about every piece of suitable habitat across the whole state. Without actively trying to get a look at them though, you'll rarely see one. I think my chance sightings of bobcats over the years number less than a dozen. And I spend vastly more time in bobcat habitat than most. But if I go out to try and see them, I usually do. I should point out, that being able to go out and "see" them, in the context I'm talking about here, has nothing to do with actually "hunting" them (other than knowing where they are, to come back and hunt them another time). Really, it isn't necessary to actually see them to know how many bobcats are in an area, or even get a good idea of the age and sex of the bobcats in an area. Under the right conditions (fresh snow, especially), I can take a fast paced hike through an area and know how many bobcat, coyote, etc. are around, whether they are mostly passing through, or spending a lot of time there. Even without snow, bobcats are peculiar enough in their habits and terrain preferences that it's pretty easy to see if there are any using an area by looking for sign on the ground. It is ingrained habit in me, that any time I'm outdoors, anywhere, doing anything, I'm scouting the ground for sign. It's just automatic, I don't even think about it, I just do it. Even while driving dirt roads, I can't help but be looking for scat or other sign that can be seen from the drivers seat. I see bobcat sign all the time, all over the place. They are around.

I hope that answers your question(s). You asked in a very polite manner, which I do appreciate, so I've tried to respond likewise. Honestly though, it kind of wears me out, that I have to try and explain and or justify my predator hunting almost every time I post about it here. This is the only "hunting" forum where I've ever run into this. I really am tired of it. But, again, you were not the least bit offensive in the way you asked. It's just that I am tired of "being" asked. So, I hope you'll not be too offended if I don't answer these kinds of questions anymore. I frequent hunting forums to exchange information and enjoy sharing the details of hunts. I'm really not interested in carrying on these kinds of discussions, they rarely remain polite and are even more rarely productive in any way. I'm just not into it.

- DAA

Brian in SLC
09-11-2007, 09:38 AM
I'm really not interested in carrying on these kinds of discussions, they rarely remain polite and are even more rarely productive in any way.

You might be underestimating the importance of your dialog. My bet is that is WAY more productive than at first blush.

Its hard to find constructive and intelligent input from either side of this diametrically opposed issue. Kudo's to you for providing some.

Thanks,

-Brian in SLC

shagster
09-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Nice video. I have been lucky enough to see a few of these in the past years, man they are beautiful creatures. One of these days I would like to harvest one. Nice work as always DAA!! :2thumbs:

fourtycal
09-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Very nice! I have seen several while out in the hills. I know they are plentiful but I still feel lucky when I just see one by chance.

Thanks for the answer too, you do a great job of explaining the hunt. It does suck to have to justify it all but you are good at it :thumb:

accadacca
09-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Thats a kewl vid. I would love to see one that close. :popcorn:

REDFOX
09-11-2007, 09:35 PM
I think that I have said it before. Excellent video!!! Most people do not have the knowledge, skills, or patience to capture the videos or have the experiences that you share and bring to this forum. As far as I am concerned your contributions to this Hunting section really standout with your one of a kind videos and hard earned expertise in the field. Those that need an explanation are not forced to view the hunting section and perhaps should avoid it. No explantion is necessary for me, keep up the excellent work ! :2thumbs:

rooster32
09-12-2007, 06:43 PM
"I could take you out on just about any given date and we'll see bobcats."

Come on DAA..let's go!!! The ONLY time I see cats while calling is before the season, if I don't have tags or am hunting something else :roll:

How's the calling going so far? I haven't been out yet. Been spending a lot of time training the dog and now grouse hunting. Two more weeks and I hope to be hauling a big buck out of the Books.

Need to go have a beer and lunch...

Later!

Andrew

DAA
09-13-2007, 07:13 AM
Come on DAA..let's go!!! The ONLY time I see cats while calling is before the season, if I don't have tags or am hunting something else :roll:

How's the calling going so far? I haven't been out yet. Been spending a lot of time training the dog and now grouse hunting. Two more weeks and I hope to be hauling a big buck out of the Books.

Need to go have a beer and lunch...

Later!

Andrew

:mrgreen: We could go see 'em easy enough. We wouldn't be calling them in or shooting them though. :mrgreen: As you well know, calling one in to the rifle during the season isn't anything you can count on very often.

Cheeseburger and a beer for lunch always sounds good to me :nod: . I'll be gone next week, we ought to try for after your deer hunt.

Coyote calling seems like it is going to be good this year. Weather was favorable around denning time. Lots and lots of bunnies all over the place. From what little I've seen so far I think recruitment was up this year - bigger litters with higher survival rates. We called in 12 coyotes the same day we called in the bobcat in the video clip. I won't be getting out again for at least a few weeks though.

Hope you get a nice one out of the Books! I love it out there. Hunted deer there a lot, before it went to limited entry. And I still do quite a bit of coyote hunting out there.

- DAA