PDA

View Full Version : Hunters Admit Shooting Arrows Into Cows

Iceaxe
09-10-2007, 02:03 PM
I am so happy they caught these guys....

Thwarted teen hunters admit shooting arrows into cows
By Nathan C. Gonzalez - The Salt Lake Tribune

Frustrated that their August deer hunt was a failure, a pair of Orem teens turned to shooting at least nine cows with arrows, the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources said.

An anonymous tip led authorities to the two juveniles, who admitted to shooting the cows over a two-week period, according to DWR Conservation Officer Paul Davis.

"The two teens were frustrated that they hadn't harvested any deer during the archery deer hunt and shot several cows during the first weekend of the archery deer hunt in the Clyde Creek area near Strawberry Reservoir," Davis said in a statement.

The juveniles admitted to authorities that they shot more cows about a week later. They later confessed to shooting at least nine total cows with arrows.

No cows have died from being shot because the arrows were topped with practice points, instead of the more lethal broadhead, or razor, arrow points designed for hunting big game, DWR said.

Authorities learned of the first shooting Aug. 18, which was the opening day of the archery deer hunt. Five more cows impaled with arrows were discovered the following weekend.

"The cow-shooting incidents outraged archery hunters, livestock owners and the community in general," DWR said.

The Utah Bowman's Association, Bowhunters of Utah, Hoyt and Easton contributed reward money totaling $6,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those involved with the crime.

The investigation is ongoing.

rockgremlin
09-10-2007, 02:13 PM
I don't blame them. Beef tastes better than venison anyways... :lol8:

Jaxx
09-10-2007, 02:16 PM
"The Utah Bowman's Association, Bowhunters of Utah, Hoyt and Easton contributed reward money totaling $6,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those involved with the crime."

That's pretty cool that those companies did that. Stupid teens giving the hunting community a black eye.
It kind of reminds me of stupid kids and paintball. I love to play paintball but every time I tell someone I have to follow it up with "I don't drive around shooting peoples cars or houses. I don't shoot signs either."

Brian in SLC
09-11-2007, 07:40 AM
I am so happy they caught these guys....

Thwarted teen hunters admit shooting arrows into cows

Oh, that brings back some semi bad memories from my youth...

Got into bow hunting as a kid. Was a fairly good shot for awhile, bare bow. Someone I knew, uhh, used "slow elk" for practise once...with them rubber dum dums.

Whack, mooooooo.

Pretty bad.

-Brian in SLC

Rev. Coyote
11-13-2007, 12:50 PM
At least they weren't shooting coyotes.

Sombeech
11-13-2007, 09:45 PM
What did they do with the beef?

CarpeyBiggs
11-13-2007, 10:55 PM
What did they do with the beef?

They shot them with practice tips. The cows didn't die.