PDA

View Full Version : New to fly fishing

jfeiro
09-08-2007, 06:38 AM
So.... here's the deal, took up fly fishing after 25 yrs of not fishing at all. Grew up in northern Minnesota with lakes aplenty and fish galore but kind of gave it up for multitude of reasons one of which is i don't ave the patience for sitting and waiting to get a bite.

Now, my brother-in-law has started to get into flyfishing and has gotten me kind of hooked, problem is I know absolutely nothing about it. I went to Cabellas last weekend and got loaded up with rod and reel, waders, boots a few flys and tools and have been kind of reading on-line different how to web sites on casting, set-up and everything else i can find to read.

I guess what i'm trying to ask for is ........HELP!!!!....or if someone would be willing to take a noob out and give some pointers would be greatly appreciated. Any advice, tips, pointers is what i'm looking for and i know i can always count on the people from UUTAH to help out. Thanks a million

Jim

chuckmiester
09-08-2007, 06:11 PM
if you were in logan i could help you out. however i wouldn't start on the provo as it would discourage you severely being new to the sport and all. once you know the provo than its fun but until then its not.

id try some high uinta lakes. i don't know what theyre biting but my go to patterns are a royal wulff with a beadhead flashback pheasant tail dropper.

hope this helps and welcome to the sport.

also give it some time to really know how to fly-fish. sometimes it can take patience.

packfish
09-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Read- a library is an amazing place to pick up knowledge. Rent- video's can really cut the learning curve. Watch- go to places and watch guys fly fish- just don't stand next to them. Take a community class. And once you might think you have it dicked- think again. You will never learn it all and be happy with that thought. It's becomes a life style as much if not more than back packing does and if you're smart you'll combine the two and get the best out of both endeavors.

brookiekiller
09-10-2007, 11:26 AM
I agree with the above statements about reading, and the Uintas. I would stay away from the majority of the Wasatch Front area and go someplace where the crowds won't be. That way you can get your confidence up and catch fish (stay away from the Mirror Lake Highway as well). It seems to me that the major rivers around here are full of elitests and those that frown on every little thing, not to mention the fish don't bite as easily and are more sophisticated. There are rivers and lakes in the Uintas with a little hiking you can toss just about anything in there and catch fish. This helps to get the basics of casting, knot tying, fighting fish, etc. to be second nature, and you can catch lots of fish.

icthys
09-10-2007, 12:28 PM
I'd be happy to take you out.

Give me a week or two after my trip to Montana and we'll fish the Middle P.

orvis1
09-10-2007, 01:40 PM
I will be camping behind Daniels Summit Lodge on the way to strawberry. We have a 30ft rampage toy hauler and a blue ford f350. We are planning on fishing sat aft and eve a combo trip of 1/2 flyfishing and 1/2 trolling. You are welcome to come, shoot me a pm...

jfeiro
09-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks everyone for all the tips and suggestions. I have been reading and sunday i went out and did some watching and then found an out of the way spot and tried casting a little.

Itchys, thanks for the offer and let me know when you get back and i'll take you up on your offer. Orvis, let me talk to my brother-in-law and see what's up. we were planning on taking the wives and camping up by big elk lake this weekend but i'll let you know.

Jim