PDA

View Full Version : Utah DWR Forum Shutdown

accadacca
09-07-2007, 10:42 PM
The DWR forum went online in January 04 and didn't become active until the summer of 04. I would frequent the site on occasion and it was a very active forum. Looks like they left their users high and dry. Members of uutah are reporting that they pulled the plug on Wednesday. :compthrow: :gloom:

http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/forums

Notice

After much discussion, the DWR has decided to terminate the Wildlife Discussion forums. We have greatly appreciated the interest and participation from everyone.

Over the past three years the traffic to the forums increased substantially, and along with that came an increase in the kinds of forum problems that we felt were incompatible with our role as a government agency. There was no one single reason or incident that caused us to make this decision. Instead, it was a tough call that we made over a long period of time by weighing a number of different issues.

We appreciate the views expressed here over the past several years, and we look forward to hearing from you and working with you in the future.

We have saved everyone's private messages, and you may log in to retrieve them. All other information is unavailable.

Thank you.

The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources

stefan
09-08-2007, 08:27 AM
hmm, interesting.

do you guys know what the slew of reasons is? was hunting as an adrenaline sport part of the problem?

accadacca
09-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Found this too:

The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources has recently completed an assessment of public use of the Wildlife Discussion Forums. It is our conclusion that these forums have not been sufficiently used as platforms from which wildlife enthusiasts could share their experiences with others.

We had hoped these forums would provide information such as "where to go" and "what to do" stories, even showing off harvested specimens, and providing up-to-the-minute assessment of a multitude of fishing and hunting or even watching sites. Although those desired uses have occurred, they are over-shadowed by a parade of constant criticism of selected individuals, agencies, and organizations. There have also been attempts at commercial marketing and other unacceptable uses.

These forums have demanded a significant amount of personnel time to monitor and control. Due to this fact, Utah Division of Wildlife Resources has closed the Wildlife Discussion Forums in order to re-direct our Web editor's time to improved services within our Web environment. We will be adding new Web site features in the future where sportsmen and others can obtain up-to-the-minute information on wildlife activities throughout the state. Thanks for exploring our Web site and visit us again soon.

http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/forums/index2.php

Iceaxe
09-08-2007, 01:24 PM
Better question is.... how do we tap into this vast pool of homeless hunters and welcome them to the uutah forum?

I thought the DWR forums were pretty popular and I'm surprised they pulled the plug.

blarson
09-08-2007, 05:20 PM
i use to go to their site 4 or 5 times a day. it really sucks that they shut it down. i wish that they would have listed a few forums like this one for people to stay in touch. they did let you keep your private messages but i'm not sure if you can still send a private message to other users.

DirkHammergate
09-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Better question is.... how do we tap into this vast pool of homeless hunters and welcome them to the uutah forum?

I thought the DWR forums were pretty popular and I'm surprised they pulled the plug.

Create a forum with this as the gallery photo:

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/2424/jimboif6.jpg

That'll bring 'em in like the Pied Piper.

waltny
09-09-2007, 01:15 AM
Im one of those guys.... I was here though before they went away. I tried to convince some of the other guys to come here, guess we will see. There has been about 5 start up sites from the ashes of the DWR, and about 3 established sites via'ing for all the wayward members. I know about 5 or 6 fishing guys are here, not sure for how long though.

orvis1
09-10-2007, 01:32 PM
The only way I found you was LOAH told me about this site a while back, and when DWR shut down I thought I would take a look.

icthys
09-10-2007, 02:06 PM
Im one of those guys.... I was here though before they went away. I tried to convince some of the other guys to come here, guess we will see. There has been about 5 start up sites from the ashes of the DWR, and about 3 established sites via'ing for all the wayward members. I know about 5 or 6 fishing guys are here, not sure for how long though.

What are some of the other sites? I was getting some good clients ordering rods from over there. Guess I was part of the problem determined by the DWR, my fake wolf picture probably didn't help either.

Anyway, I now need other forums to find guys who want custom rods built.

Jaxx
09-10-2007, 02:11 PM
I do like how the fishing area is getting busier. Thanks DWR!

tapehoser
09-10-2007, 02:28 PM
I was on that site almost from the beginning. Typical, though. They are run by the gub'ment and cannot tolerate any controversy.

All of the moderators, however, opened their own site here:

http://www.utahwildlife.net

Sombeech
09-10-2007, 03:34 PM
All of the moderators, however, opened their own site here:

http://www.utahwildlife.net

Hmm, looks like a pretty good start. Where did you find this site?