PDA

View Full Version : 98 Grand Cherokee Rear Axle question.

AJ
09-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Hey there,

Thought I'd ask the pro's. ;) I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 that has had axle noise for a couple of years. It got worse, so I took it to my normal shop. They replaced the wheel bearings, but the noise still continued. They said the noise was internal to the axle, and recommended driving it until it broke.

Wanted a second opinion, so I took it to a dealer. They confirmed it was internal to the axle, and said it would be a couple hours to take the axle apart to find out exactly what was wrong (thought maybe pinion and carrier bearings); gave an estimate of $1600 - $2000 to rebuild it.

I know dealers are expensive, so I was going to call around to some shops to see if I could get my axle rebuilt, or get a rebuilt axle for less. Or even get an aftermarket axle. The Jeep GC has 140k on it, but other than the axle, doesn't have anything mechanically wrong; so I definitely want to fix it, just want to fix it the best way. Am I going along the right path? Am I overlooking something? Any other suggestions?

Specs: Dana m35, 194mm, 3.55:1

Feel free to answer the post, or e-mail me directly at aj@meet-outdoors.com.

Thanks!
A.J.

JP
09-07-2007, 02:42 PM
and said it would be a couple hours to take the axle apart to find out exactly what was wrong (thought maybe pinion and carrier bearings); gave an estimate of $1600 - $2000 to rebuild it.
How's it going AJ :mrgreen: Yea, 140 on the Dana 35 is pretty good. A few questions for ya; Is your ZJ stock? Do you wheel it? Are you thinking of wheeling it? Is it a daily driver and that's its main purpose?

The reasons for the questions depend on how you use your ZJ and if it's worth it to rebuild the 35, replace the 35 with another or upgrade to something stronger.

The Dana 35 is one of those axles that gets replaced when people begin to lift, re-gear and lock the axles. So, you can probably pick up a used 35 that was taken off a Jeep that was recently upgraded. Since these axles are not a hot commodity, you maybe able to grab one of these 35's (complete; bolt right in)) for nothing or next to nothing. 35's that are replaced usually just get thrown away. All you have to do is make sure the gearing is the same as yours. Look around, I'm sure you will be able to find a match. Then all you will have to do is a complete rear axle swap. The newly acquired 35 will bolt right in. Just check some of the local 4x4 clubs and see if anyone is getting rid of a 35. Just keep in mind, you have disc rear brakes, some of the 35's are drum. If you end up with an older one I do believe you can swap the drums off of the newly acquired one and use your discs on it. But, again, I'm pretty sure you will have no problem finding an exact match.

Now if you are planning on an upgrade, there are several ways to go. The Dana 44, the Ford 8.8 and even the Dana 60. Of course upgrades come with a price. The Dana 44's that were under the Grand Wagoneers work well (gears and spring perches will probably need to be added), Some of the TJ's and all the Unlimited's come with a 44 rear (spring perches are there and you still may have to regear it), the Ford 8.8 is a C-Clip design like the 35 (which is one of the issues with the 35) but the 8.8 is a heck of a lot stronger and if the axle does break, the rear disc brake setup kind of keeps the axle from sliding out (the 8.8 is a very common replacement for the Dana 35). And then the bad boy on the block, the Dana 60. A lot more money to make these work, they'll need some narrowing, axle shafts will have to be custom made on one side, gears, yada, yada, yada.,

Feel free to fire away any questions if I caused you some :lol8:

AJ
09-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Thanks for all the info JP.

The ZJ is pretty much stock. Put on bigger tires, but the suspension and axles are stock. As for it's purpose; I have a 2006 Commander lease right now that I use for my normal vehicle; and I only use the 98 Grand for deep snow or trips where I may run into rougher terrain. When the lease is up, I'll get something with better gas mileage (Vibe, Caliber) as my primary vehicle; and use my 98 Grand for times when I may need 4WD and/or clearance (snow, etc.)

As for wheelin it, I do a little, but it's mainly just to get to where I want to go. (To get to a climb, a canyon, etc.) I don't go out just to go wheelin; so I'd lean more towards another 35. It's got me through quite a bit of stuff; enough for what I need.

I was more concerned about getting a used rear axle, as I didn't want to go through the same issue again down the road (at least, not too quickly.)

My only new question is you just calling it a 35. The specs for my truck called it a Dana m35. Does the m mean anything?

Thanks again for the info. It's good news that those aren't a hot commodity...

JP
09-12-2007, 06:15 AM
My only new question is you just calling it a 35. The specs for my truck called it a Dana m35. Does the m mean anything?

Thanks again for the info. It's good news that those aren't a hot commodity...
I'm just calling it a 35, because that's what it is. The letters were there for various reasons, I'm not sure what the "M" stands for. There was a "C" that stood for custom because they were not shipped to Chrysler complete, Chrysler has to put them together. Again, when the 35 was first being used, they were drum brakes, somewhere in the mid to late 90's they switched over to disc rear brakes. Yours has disc rear, but an 89 YJ has drum and that 35 also had leaf spring perches versus coil spring perches which yours has. I would scan through some On-line off road forums/clubs and start looking for a Dana 35 from say 96-97 and up, TJ's & ZJ's. They'll be coiled, disc and a good chance of having matching gear ratios. And again, the cost could be next to nothing and it would be a direct bolt in. So the "M" may have something to do with options, it's shipping with Chrysler or whatever else. Walk into that Chrysler dealer and go ask a mechanic if he knows what the "M" stands for or the parts guy if it's something you want to know.

AJ
09-12-2007, 09:03 PM
That's good enough for me. Thanks again for all your help and info.

JP
09-15-2007, 06:29 AM
Anytime :nod: