View Full Version : new iPods

stefan
09-05-2007, 11:01 AM
from the text messaging from the apple event

new iPod shuffle colors

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/applebeat/applebeatgoeson23.jpg

new iPod nano with video

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/applebeat/applebeatgoeson45.jpg

24 hours of audio playback, 5 hours of video playback.

iPod Classic's new sizes:

The 80GB model (thinner than 30 GB) has 25 hours music, 5 hours video. The 160GB (thinner than old 80 GB) has 40 hours music, 7 hours video.

Price: 80GB for $249, 160GB for $349.

iPod Touch

just like the iPhone, but no phone

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/applebeat/applebeatgoeson161.jpg

The back of the iPod Touch has a black bit on the top right in order for the Wi-Fi antenna to connect out.

Storage: 8GB and 16GB, $299 and $399. Ships in a few weeks (this month)

iPod Touch battery life: 22 hours music, 5 hours video.

runs os x

new application: the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store:Browsing the iTunes store is similar to the iTunes app on the PC.

gonzo
09-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Underwhelmed.

stefan
09-05-2007, 11:48 AM
Underwhelmed.

again, you seem to have extraordinary expectations :ne_nau:

gonzo
09-05-2007, 12:10 PM
No, I just dislike it when Apple changes the color of something, or makes something marginally thinner, and we're supposed to go all gaga.

I like that the iPod Touch has a wireless (802.11? Bluetooth?) antenna. That's something they should have done a year ago. But, just like the iPhone I think that 8GB is waaay too small. I can't see myself laying down that kind of scratch for something that won't even hold 1/3 of my music collection.

The new Nano is somewhat intriguing, but I actually have to see it. The form factor looks a bit too "squishy" to me. That may be because of the angle on the photo though. I'll wait until Apple has info on their site before I judge it.

KillEmAll
09-05-2007, 12:19 PM
new application: the iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store:Browsing the iTunes store is similar to the iTunes app on the PC.

So what they are saying is that they have two piece of sh** programs to download songs from? Oh joy!

stefan
09-05-2007, 02:28 PM
No, I just dislike it when Apple changes the color of something, or makes something marginally thinner, and we're supposed to go all gaga.

who said you're supposed to go gaga over anything?
just updates and new products, man

i know a ton of people who will enjoy a new 160GB ipod which is thinner than the old 80 GB ipod.

and the iPod touch is a pretty nice device.

I like that the iPod Touch has a wireless (802.11? Bluetooth?) antenna. That's something they should have done a year ago. But, just like the iPhone I think that 8GB is waaay too small. I can't see myself laying down that kind of scratch for something that won't even hold 1/3 of my music collection.

16 GB too. give it time. flash memory is getting larger in capacity, smaller in size and cheaper, but it'll get there. it's funny how we always look beyond the horizon

still a pretty nice device.

i'd love to see that using the wireless you could sinc with a home computer and swap out tunes/videos and such.

The new Nano is somewhat intriguing, but I actually have to see it. The form factor looks a bit too "squishy" to me.

i agree it looks squishy. i would like to see them carry the old nano and the new one (with video) and drop the price on the old one. but apple likes to keep their lines simple.

That may be because of the angle on the photo though. I'll wait until Apple has info on their site before I judge it.

yeah, or go check it out in person. 24 hours audio is better. we'll see how long it really lasts.

i'm ready for another ipod, though i am not sure which ...

stefan
09-05-2007, 02:29 PM

So what they are saying is that they have two piece of sh** programs to download songs from? Oh joy!

riiiiiiight

accadacca
09-05-2007, 06:52 PM
http://uutah.com/forum/files/img_3623.jpg

Sombeech
09-05-2007, 10:54 PM
expandable mp3 players, the only way to go. :2thumbs:

put a 4 gig card in there, transfer it WHEREVER THE HELL YOU WANT.

stefan
09-06-2007, 07:21 AM
expandable mp3 players, the only way to go.

the only way to go?

Jaxx
09-06-2007, 07:28 AM

the only way to go?

Is there an echo in here?

stefan
09-06-2007, 07:51 AM

the only way to go?

Is there an echo in here?

would be had i not included a question mark ... a technical difference rendering a different intonation when the phrase is spoken, an action which is required for an echo.

in all seriousness, i know many people use the statement to indicate their suggestion is better, but, taken literally, it's surely not the only way to go or even the best way to go. it definitely doesn't keep the product simple, which some might consider the best and only way to go.

i wonder what complications and limitations would these cards present to the software use and or development, i haven't looked into this.

CarpeyBiggs
09-06-2007, 08:04 AM

put a 4 gig card in there, transfer it WHEREVER THE HELL YOU WANT.

I don't think I'd want to juggle multiple 4 gig cards though... And those cards be expensive, yo.

But then again, I'm not a fan of portable music devices. I've tried them, but I don't like 'em.

marc olivares
09-06-2007, 08:57 AM
... But, just like the iPhone I think that 8GB is waaay too small. I can't see myself laying down that kind of scratch for something that won't even hold 1/3 of my music collection....

Kris, i'm curious about this comment
do you really have or want your entire music collection on your ipod at one time? how do you use your ipod? for work ? exercising? in car?
the reason i ask is this; many think that more storage space is a bonus with ipods, and if one were loading multiple movie, sure i can see this.
but for music, really anything over 10gb is just silly.
this coming from a guy with a 60gb and a 10 gb ipod and almost a 1TB's worth of music. (yes, TB as in terabyte)
it's not realistic for me to have my entire collection on one ipod.
but i do find that the 10gb is typically more than enough.
hell for that matter my 1gb shuffle is more than enough but i digress.

for me, i'd rather have better battery life and less space, but that another animal all together.
i like the new line up, but not enough to buy yet another :ne_nau:

stefan
09-06-2007, 09:38 AM
it's not realistic for me to have my entire collection on one ipod.

it's simpler to put everything on it rather than think about it. it takes time to think about what you put on of course.

this is what i think is one great use of playlists. [i am sure you already do this marc] create multiple playlists for easy swapping. you put lots of time to create playlists (each playlist could be a set of albums or a set of tracks) and then you can use these playlists in all sorts of permutations to decide what goes onto the ipod. if you get to know these playlists, then when you want to swap out tunes on the ipod it's pretty quick

hell for that matter my 1gb shuffle is more than enough but i digress.

here i disagree. i bought a shuffle for minimalism, use at the gym, skiing. i took it on a trip to greece last week, and i have to admit, 1 GB was not enough. i swapped out tunes from my computer during the trip. i don't think it makes sense to have too much more than 1-2GB on a device with no display, unless there was a button allowing you to switch playlists or something ... but i realized for myself that i DEFINTIELY wanted more than 1GB.

i see 8GB and 16 GB being good amounts to have, especially for variety of music styles ... but you'll need to swap somewhat frequently (far less than a 1GB shuffle). if this is the case you sort of need to be active about what you want on there.

i feel some/many(?) people don't want to be so active, and they like the idea of just putting everything on and being able to access whatever when ever. maybe not everything, but a lot more than 20 GB.

person-dependent.

and we're not even talking about video here, which you pointed out is a whole different beast.

for me, i'd rather have better battery life and less space,

i ... now ... am with you on that one, a couple years ago i wasn't, considering i thought the ipod was small enough. battery life is huge though.

i like the new line up, but not enough to buy yet another :ne_nau:

i had a 40 GB iPod for some time, but it's started to fail me. i was very careful not to drop it for the longest time, but it suffered two huge falls and i believe it no longer functions properly (another BIG reason i want flash). i have been using the shuffle for awhile now, and i think it's brilliant in certain circumstances, e.g., skiing, gym, minimalism. but i would like to complement it with something else. so these new offerings have me looking. i am a little disappointed that they haven't (yet) extended the email software to the iPod touch ... this would almost make it a no brainer for me, i think.

of course i could wait a little longer

gonzo
09-06-2007, 10:13 AM
I was in the habit of using my iPod at work, where I never know what music i want to listen to. If some jerk...err...co-worker comes over to my desk and drops a bunch of new work on my lap with an unrealistic deadline I probably want to listen to The Prodigy (Fat of the Land is a great album when you're angry). But, if I'm just cruising through my day I want something a little more mellow.

I find setting up playlists to be tedious, so I have maybe two of them.

Of course, these days I don't listen to my iPod at all since the little b*stards are so fragile, and can't withstand the fall from my pocket to the concrete. ;)

opskmallory
09-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Remember when this
http://www.antiqueradio.com/images/Apr05-MP3-Fig2.jpg
and this
http://img.alibaba.com/photo/51603579/128MB_SmartMedia_SM_Card.jpg
were are all you needed? Ahh, the simpler days. :moses:

stefan
09-06-2007, 06:01 PM
High Quality Images of iPod (Fatty) Nano (http://tinyurl.com/2arkg3)

nelsonccc
09-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Went and looked at the new nano today. It's even thinner than the old nano and much thinner than my old aluminum mini. I was this close to buying a new nano with the lanyard last week. Decided to wait a week or so and now i'm glad i did. I'll be picking up my new nano tomorrow.

stefan
09-07-2007, 04:31 AM
Went and looked at the new nano today. It's even thinner than the old nano and much thinner than my old aluminum mini. I was this close to buying a new nano with the lanyard last week. Decided to wait a week or so and now i'm glad i did.

very wise.

had you hear rumors or was it just a random impulse not to. i know most folks would rather not follow the rumormill and pay attention to apple "events", but it can save you money and annoyance in the long run if you anticipate and wait.

I'll be picking up my new nano tomorrow.

let us know what you think. after seeing the high res images, i think it looks better to me than the old nano.

nelsonccc
09-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Went and looked at the new nano today. It's even thinner than the old nano and much thinner than my old aluminum mini. I was this close to buying a new nano with the lanyard last week. Decided to wait a week or so and now i'm glad i did.

very wise.

had you hear rumors or was it just a random impulse not to. i know most folks would rather not follow the rumormill and pay attention to apple "events", but it can save you money and annoyance in the long run if you anticipate and wait.

I'll be picking up my new nano tomorrow.

let us know what you think. after seeing the high res images, i think it looks better to me than the old nano.

Had heard the a new line was coming out early September. Decided to wait since I couldn't make up my mind anyways.

It's awesome. I'm not too keen on the aluminum on the back but it is lighter and thinner than the older nano. Color and screen is okay, i like the new album flow and the menu changes. Pretty sweet. Stoked.

asdf
09-09-2007, 07:21 AM

I must agree with you on that one.

oh yeah! MicroSD cards are cheep as hell right now. Plus like you said moving the data is very easy with the removable card.

As far as space I like having two players, A larger one to fit most all of my music and smaller one to take riding, biking, hiking, ect. I think this is the best way to go.

stefan
09-09-2007, 10:19 AM

I must agree with you on that one.

so are you two talking about the shuffle or something?

nano now does video, has a slightly new UI, beyond being thinner and color.

classic has 2x the capacity, slightly new UI and is thinner.

might not be mindblowing but it's of course more than you're suggesting.

apple bitching (without substance) gets <yawn> pretty boring. however, i do find it interesting that you two are so unbelievably swayed by marketing that you feel compelled either to go gaga or bitch about its apparent expectation. :haha:
[goes both ways, bitching about MS is superyawn]

it's cool, though, this is uutah, whatever goes. apple frequently updates their products, especially ipods, which i am sure most perceive as a good thing even if each update isn't mindblowing (god forbid). 'sbetter than the sameol' sameol'. :ne_nau:

stefan
09-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Had heard the a new line was coming out early September. Decided to wait since I couldn't make up my mind anyways.

nice. yeah, i think i might be waiting for the 3G iPhone. have to admit though, uutah looks pretty good(!!) on the iPhone, despite some strange variation in the font sizes.

It's awesome. I'm not too keen on the aluminum on the back but it is lighter and thinner than the older nano. Color and screen is okay, i like the new album flow and the menu changes. Pretty sweet. Stoked.

sweet. i'd like to hear about your experience with battery life. this is something apple could improve on. which color did you end up getting? i liked the black the best.

asdf
09-09-2007, 11:54 AM
so are you two talking about the shuffle or something?

I hear about every new little feature on anything in the ipod line in the morning news. Its just a bit overkill dont you think.

stefan
09-09-2007, 12:50 PM
I hear about every new little feature on anything in the ipod line in the morning news. Its just a bit overkill dont you think.

are you talking about TV/radio? if so that might be your problem :haha:
don't usually watch the morning news (don't have TV). i guess it'd be overkill, but not nearly as annoying as endless news about britney spears or whogivesafrak.

but considering that the majority of DAP users use ipods, the news is going to jump on it.

too bad news topics on tv aren't clickable, eh?

live2ride
09-09-2007, 07:22 PM
I just ordered the itouch in the 16 gig, cant wait for it to get here! :2thumbs:

stefan
09-09-2007, 11:09 PM
I just ordered the itouch in the 16 gig, cant wait for it to get here! :2thumbs:

shweet!

one nice feature of the iPod touch is that it has a normal headphone jack instead of the sunken jack that the iphone has. so any heaphones will connect without modification or adapter.