PDA

View Full Version : Pickup Lines

Iceaxe
09-04-2007, 12:50 PM
Far as I'm concerned a good pickup line is worth its weight in gold. Maybe if you guys are lucky I let you hear the one I used to meet my Hot Young Stripper Wife.

:2thumbs:

Research team has pickup lines down to a science
By William Weir - The Hartford Courant

Even the worst pickup lines - ''You remind me of a parking ticket, because you've got FINE written all over you,'' for instance - serve an evolutionary purpose, according to a team of Scotland psychologists.

Researchers at the University of Edinburgh have conducted a study of opening lines uttered by would-be Casanovas, which appears in an October issue of the psychology journal Personality and Individual Differences.

Why a study on pickup lines? More than just another opportunity for embarrassment in the pursuit of love, opening remarks at a bar reveal volumes about character and general fitness. And they reveal whom the user is trying to attract.

Peter Caryl, one of the study's authors, figured this warranted a closer look.

Most people probably know that a bad pickup line will quickly end the conversation, he says, but ''I don't expect that most of them think they're revealing anything about their genes or fitness by speaking to someone new in a bar.''

Pickup lines have long been a staple of pop culture, often mined for comedy. VH1 now has a whole program dedicated to the craft with the reality show ''The Pickup Artist,'' in which a fellow named Mystery (the self-proclaimed world's greatest pickup artist) coaches down-on-their-luck schlubs on meeting women.

But Caryl and his team in Edinburgh have the pickup line down to a science, literally. For the study, 127 women completed a survey to determine their personality type. They were then asked to rate the effectiveness of 40 vignettes, each one describing a scenario of a man trying to strike up a conversation with a woman.

Though there was plenty of overlap among the groups, extroverted women tended to prefer funny opening lines; nonconformist women resisted displays of wealth and appeals to their sense of culture. Chivalry appealed widely. A scenario in which a potential suitor chides drunken louts who cut in line won the hearts of female subjects in all personality categories.

An earlier study conducted by the researchers ranked the overall effectiveness of the same 40 vignettes, some written by the researchers and others culled from TV, movies and Web sites. Canned jokes and compliments did poorly, while remarks that reflected the specific situation or surroundings did best. Offering thoughts on a painting at a museum worked (though it helps to know something about art), as did asking for help in picking out a watch for a friend.

Opening lines with sexual innuendo - ''What has 148 teeth and can hold back the Incredible Hulk? My fly,'' for example - ranked toward the bottom of the list. But that doesn't stop guys from using them. Caryl theorizes that these lines are the users' way of zeroing in on more promiscuous women. If she's still talking to you after your Incredible Hulk joke (which ranked 36 out of 40), there's a better chance that she's less faithful to her current partner and more likely to be up for a one-night stand.

Generally, the 60 males surveyed did well predicting which remarks would work best but overestimated the effectiveness of the risqu

Iceaxe
09-04-2007, 03:02 PM
I'm beginning to think none of you losers have any good pickup lines.... :lol8:

No wonder I get all the hot women :2thumbs:

"Nice Shoes" :roflol:

:five:

greyhair biker
09-05-2007, 06:44 AM
use what you have to work with at the time and be yourself...improvise and run with it :haha: don't be afraid....no pickup line needed :2thumbs:

savanna3313
09-05-2007, 07:48 AM
use what you have to work with at the time and be yourself...improvise and run with it :haha: don't be afraid....no pickup line needed :2thumbs:

I love it! :2thumbs: Men who have natural charm don't need a pick up line. :naughty:

Iceaxe
09-05-2007, 08:54 AM
Yeah right.... just walking up to a woman and saying...

"Hi, my name is Bob"

is a pickup line....

Call it what ya want.... but meeting a woman with no intro is a pickup.... And I know standing in the corner and hoping she walks over and picks you up doesn't usually work. :haha:

So.... tell us your best method of meeting a member of the oppisite sex.....

:rockon:

RAM
09-05-2007, 09:49 AM
The whales were jumping, I look out over the railing at the Inside Passage, south of Ketchakan Alaska, on the ferry boat to Seattle. The ferry I have caught by hitchhiking a plane ride, in a 2 seater over two days from Haines Juction, thru Juneau to Ketchakan. I have hitched from Fairbanks and am headed by thumb to New England and summer camp.....she walks by....ummmm. One of the worst lines ever!! Just popped into my head. From where? ...."How would you like to take 2 and a half years out of your life and walk from Chile to Alaska with me?" Bad I know, but the women married me. Our first date was Mt. Rainier....where she kinda broke her tailbone glissading. Ya never know, until you go. Some are gonna fly, some gonna die. :cool2:

El Ramoo

Iceaxe
09-05-2007, 09:57 AM
"How would you like to take 2 and a half years out of your life and walk from Chile to Alaska with me?"

That's actually a pretty good opening line..... if she does anything other then walk away you know she probably shares at least some of your interests.

I mean honestly... walking from Chile to Alaska is not going to appeal to a large number of women.

Scott Card
09-05-2007, 09:59 AM

Agreed... Although I am out of the game and haven't used any lines for a long time (or ever maybe.) I don't remember ever having planned using a line. I do remember in high school some girls that I was intereste in saying how cheezy lines they were hearing were. Also, I know myself and if I would have planned a line, I surely would have botched it and looked even more stupid that I did. Unlike Ice, I am confident that I was pretty goofy. Girls scare me. Actually, I am afraid of no man and only two women. My mother and my wife... but I digress.

And as for Ice's comment, I actually used to walk up to girls and say, "Hi, I'm Scott" So as boring as that is, that was it. The conversation would go from there or it wouldn't go. The one gift I did have was that I understood the hints pretty well. I didn't hang around those that were not interested for very long.

greyhair biker
09-05-2007, 10:02 AM
just SMILE...if she smiles back, you're good to go.....can it be any simpler? :ne_nau:

Scott Card
09-05-2007, 10:07 AM
The whales were jumping, I look out over the railing at the Inside Passage, south of Ketchakan Alaska, on the ferry boat to Seattle. The ferry I have caught by hitchhiking a plane ride, in a 2 seater over two days from Haines Juction, thru Juneau to Ketchakan. I have hitched from Fairbanks and am headed by thumb to New England and summer camp.....she walks by....ummmm. One of the worst lines ever!! Just popped into my head. From where? ...."How would you like to take 2 and a half years out of your life and walk from Chile to Alaska with me?" Bad I know, but the women married me. Our first date was Mt. Rainier....where she kinda broke her tailbone glissading. Ya never know, until you go. Some are gonna fly, some gonna die. :cool2:

El Ramoo

Yes but El Ramoo was blessed with the gift of gab. I would have planned to say "How would you like to take 2 and a half years out of your life and walk from Chile to Alaska with me?" But it would have come out more like "How would you like to take two and half years to chill in Alaska and walk with me" HUH? exactly. So I said Hi, I'm Scott..... :blahblah: Maybe I just bored em and wore em down. :haha:

Iceaxe
09-05-2007, 10:18 AM
I do remember in high school some girls that I was intereste in saying how cheezy lines they were hearing were.

If your opening intro sounds cheezy it's not very good. :nod:

Nothing wrong with "Hi, I'm Scott".

Sounds like most of you didn't even realize the first words out of your mouth to a stranger are a line..... or whatever else you want to call it...

I want to hear from Tanya and Savanna and what they went for.

Jaxx
09-05-2007, 11:59 AM
"dump your boyfriend and date me." We are married now.

nosivad_bor
09-05-2007, 12:21 PM
I was at a picnic over the weekend and saw this hottie with jeans shorts and one of those girly t-shirts on.

I roll up all - "so are you pregnant or what"

and she turned and smiled at me and said "or what"

Man I love family reunions my uncles are hilarious with those costumes!

Shan
09-05-2007, 01:05 PM
One my husband used on me when we were dating. He's dark and hairy, I'm blue eyed and fair.

"Do you have any Italian in you?"

"No"

"Do you want some?"

Iceaxe
09-05-2007, 01:10 PM
One my husband used on me

Proof Positive that cheesy lines work.... :roflol:

Deathcricket
09-05-2007, 01:44 PM
I only recall this one because it was the worst ever but worked.

"I'm drunk can you drive me home?"

Iceaxe
09-05-2007, 02:03 PM
I met my wife in a crowded club.... she was the hottest girl in the club so I walked over and told her so.... something like...

"Hey, your the hottest girl in this club so I thought I'd start at the top, wanta dance?"

:banana:

I don't know if it was cheesy or not..... but it worked

savanna3313
09-05-2007, 06:08 PM
I do remember in high school some girls that I was intereste in saying how cheezy lines they were hearing were.

If your opening intro sounds cheezy it's not very good. :nod:

Nothing wrong with "Hi, I'm Scott".

Sounds like most of you didn't even realize the first words out of your mouth to a stranger are a line..... or whatever else you want to call it...

I want to hear from Tanya and Savanna and what they went for.

Ok....I remember mostly just lame stuff for the most part (kinda cute sometimes when they blushed delivering the line) :nod: but I remember mostly my reply to an old standard "Haven't I seen you somewhere before"? My reply in my best southern drawl was "Perhaps in one of your better dreams....." :cool2: :haha: This was someone I ended up dating for a long time and almost married because he liked my smart-ass attitude. Smart-ass?? Me???? :ne_nau:

More than a "line" a guy with a great smile and great eyes goes SO much further in catching my attention.

And this is strictly for Sparker1's sake, a nice hoo-haw bulge doesn't hurt either. :roflol:

savanna3313
09-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Yeah right.... just walking up to a woman and saying...

"Hi, my name is Bob"

is a pickup line....

Call it what ya want.... but meeting a woman with no intro is a pickup.... And I know standing in the corner and hoping she walks over and picks you up doesn't usually work. :haha:

So.... tell us your best method of meeting a member of the oppisite sex.....

Just go to the grocery store. You won't believe how many men will walk up and ask you about "stuff" in the store. Make out like they're all helpless and such. :roll: :haha: I actually had Randy Harmon from Harmon's chase me around with a Harmon's brownie once that I didn't want to buy nor eat. He finally walked up to me in the check out line and placed it in my grocery bag. Last grocery store "pick up line" was someone asking me the best type of ground beef to use for homemade chili. Basically he wanted me to check his meat....... :roll:

:popcorn:

savanna3313
09-05-2007, 06:20 PM
One my husband used on me when we were dating. He's dark and hairy, I'm blue eyed and fair.

"Do you have any Italian in you?"

"No"

"Do you want some?"

That's so bad it really is funny! :five:

sparker1
09-05-2007, 06:53 PM
And this is strictly for Sparker1's sake, a nice hoo-haw bulge doesn't hurt either. :roflol:

Thanks, Savanna. But what happens when you discover the socks stuffed in his undies?[/quote]

DirkHammergate
09-05-2007, 07:44 PM
"You're cute..." then you just sorta let them stew as to why they're just "cute".

It works.

Iceaxe
09-05-2007, 08:00 PM
My reply in my best southern drawl was "Perhaps in one of your better dreams....."

I've had that come back used on me before..... next line....

"Oh yeah, it was you, I hardly recognized you with your clothes on"

:lol8:

savanna3313
09-05-2007, 10:51 PM
My reply in my best southern drawl was "Perhaps in one of your better dreams....."

I've had that come back used on me before.....

Not like I would've used it on you. :naughty: It's all in the delivery, darlin'.........

:haha:

:popcorn:

savanna3313
09-05-2007, 10:54 PM

Thanks, Savanna. But what happens when you discover the socks stuffed in his undies?[/quote]

Oh - I never let things go that far. :wink: I'm mostly just a flirt. :bootyshake:

opskmallory
09-06-2007, 12:15 PM
"How would you like to take 2 and a half years out of your life and walk from Chile to Alaska with me?"

That's actually a pretty good opening line..... if she does anything other then walk away you know she probably shares at least some of your interests.

I mean honestly... walking from Chile to Alaska is not going to appeal to a large number of women.

or a number of large women.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I personally always thought the simple "Hi"s and "My name is...." seemed to work best. I got lucky with my wife. She hit on me first.

sparker1
09-06-2007, 07:47 PM
[

Oh - I never let things go that far. :wink: I'm mostly just a flirt. :bootyshake:

What a surprise. My illusions are shattered.