PDA

View Full Version : BYU Football

Scott Card
09-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Equal time right? Maybe it will only be a couple of us yackin' it up about the cougars..... but after game one all I have to say is SAAAAAAWEEEEEEET. :2thumbs: The most disappointing thing about the game was the special teams and the refs who didn't seem to know what was going on with the game several times. I am not complaining about the calls but wow they seemed like they were rookies or something. They screwed up the flow of the game a bunch of times. I'm nervous about UCLA next week.

CarpeyBiggs
09-01-2007, 10:30 PM
:haha: Mhhh hmm... :2thumbs:

Aside from crappy special teams, they looked pretty solid tonight. Good sign for a first game. And how about Unga? Curtis Brown, I don't really miss you anymore. Sorry.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

brookiekiller
09-02-2007, 01:56 PM
I am a Utah Fan, but give some love to BYU as well. I was very happy to see that they won in the manner they did. Kicking game will come along. The defense is scary good, or Arizona was scary bad. I am impressed with Max Hall - I think BYU is going to be excellent again this year.

Was that officiating crew from the Mountain West? That had to be the most poorly officiated game I watched in a long time. It seemed as there were flags on every play, and that they didn't know what the heck was going on.

The Mountain West had a pretty good weekend. Wyoming, BYU, Air Force, UNLV, and TCU with wins while Colorado State had a solid showing(should have won) against Colorado. New Mexico played a decent game at UTEP in a hostile environment. My butt is hurting from all the couch time, now it is time to get outside.

CarpeyBiggs
09-02-2007, 02:55 PM
I am a Utah Fan, but give some love to BYU as well. I was very happy to see that they won in the manner they did. Kicking game will come along. The defense is scary good, or Arizona was scary bad. I am impressed with Max Hall - I think BYU is going to be excellent again this year.

Was that officiating crew from the Mountain West? That had to be the most poorly officiated game I watched in a long time. It seemed as there were flags on every play, and that they didn't know what the heck was going on.

The Mountain West had a pretty good weekend. Wyoming, BYU, Air Force, UNLV, and TCU with wins while Colorado State had a solid showing(should have won) against Colorado. New Mexico played a decent game at UTEP in a hostile environment. My butt is hurting from all the couch time, now it is time to get outside.

Well said.. :2thumbs:

CarpeyBiggs
09-02-2007, 02:56 PM
Pics are up: www.danransom.com/byufootball/arizona

Iceaxe
09-02-2007, 04:24 PM
I'm a Utah fan first.

A Utah School fan second.

A MWC fan third....

So outside of the Utes I was pretty happy with opening weekend. I would like nothing more then to see BYU beat UCLA next weekend.

I was most happy this weekend watching Wy stomp Virginia.

:five:

rockgremlin
09-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Very impressed with the Y this year. Go Cougars!

Too bad the Utes suck so bad this year...

Scott Card
09-03-2007, 09:44 AM
Pics are up: www.danransom.com/byufootball/arizona Great photos Dan. I particularly liked the Unga TD photos and the photo of the controversial Unga play. Interesting perspective that photo is. Looks like Unga's knee is not down on the ground but rather it is on the thigh pad of the defender. Great shot. Just for fun, how many photos do you snap in a typical game?

As to the refs, I heard that it was a group of refs from different conferences all thrown together. If that is true, that may explain the disjointed refing. Again, I am not complaining about the refs calls or lack there of but just how they ran the game.

CarpeyBiggs
09-03-2007, 09:51 AM
Great shot. Just for fun, how many photos do you snap in a typical game?

It depends. This game, I took less than 300. Mainly because I only had one camera, and it is SLOW for sports. In an intense game, with two cameras, both at 8.5 fps, I could easily shoot 1000.

Kent K25
09-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Had to sell my tickets to the AZ game since we were down in St. George. My dad planned a hike through the Narrows a LONG time ago so I couldn't back out. Caught most of the 4th quarter once we got home though. I honestly thought I'd turn it on to see us losing. Could be a sign of good things to come.

Go Cougs

Kent K25
09-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Today's game vs. UCLA was depressing and encouraging all at the same time

Scott Card
09-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Today's game vs. UCLA was depressing and encouraging all at the same time Yes indeed. What I hated was the presumption in favor of the home team. Come on. One out of four calls has to go the way of a visitor. I am usually not one to gripe but to only have Pac 10 officials is presumptively unfair. No wonder rumor is that many teams won't play pac 10 teams. Oh well, we have Max Hall and NOT Ben Olsen. :haha:

DirkHammergate
09-11-2007, 07:18 AM
Actually, if anyone is counting. Ben Olsen is currently the 3rd Best Mormon starting QB in college football. Nate Longshore, Max Hall, Ben Olsen the guy was waay overhyped.

Kent K25
09-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Yeah, I'm loving Max Hall so far. He's gotten off to a much better start than I would have ever expected.

Iceaxe
09-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Ben Olsen is currently the 3rd Best Mormon starting QB in college football.

:lol8:

Iceaxe
09-16-2007, 11:07 AM
BYU fans are soooooo lucky Olsen went to UCLA :nod:

live2ride
09-16-2007, 11:47 AM
so are Utah fans!! After all those INT's

DiscGo
09-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Actually, if anyone is counting. Ben Olsen is currently the 3rd Best Mormon starting QB in college football. Nate Longshore, Max Hall, Ben Olsen the guy was waay overhyped.

I really liked that quote

rockgremlin
09-17-2007, 01:27 PM
I think the Cougs coulda beat the Golden Showers if they wouldn't have had 138 yards of penalties stacked up against them.

Iceaxe
09-17-2007, 02:50 PM
BYU has always been better then most at shooting themselves in the foot.....

Interesting what a differnce a week makes..... now the Utah fans are all giddy and the Breed em' young fans are all moping around.

:popcorn:

CarpeyBiggs
09-17-2007, 02:58 PM
I missed both games that BYU lost, so I'm not sure what happened, but I personally don't think they will be that bad. 8-4 still is a good season in my book. I was a student during the crowton era, and any win was cause for celebration. If we get 8, and a bowl game, I'll be happy.

Air Force will be a real test, but I think the Y can take them. At home, BYU is a different team, methinks. I would like nothing less than to see BYU-Utah battling it out for the MWC championship in Provo in November. I'd be giddy for that... Oh yeah, and TCU getting beat up by UNLV. That would make me giddy too.

Scott Card
09-17-2007, 03:47 PM

Interesting what a differnce a week makes..... now the Utah fans are all giddy and the Breed em' young fans are all moping around.

As to your first sentence... ain't that the truth. As to your second, I'm not moping around I am just plain mad at all the yacking about discipline and then watch the players shoot themselves in the foot. No more talk till the play equals the past rhetoric. Hate to say it but Bronco is spot on by saying he got out coached by Tulsa.

CarpeyBiggs
09-22-2007, 11:15 PM

Wow, nicely said Ice. What a difference a week makes, no doubt. Rolla-Coasta!

Scott Card
09-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Hopefully the roller coaster is over and we will repeat last years record. Nice win for the Cougs against Air Force. I hope the defense is now grounded and will remain humble after Tulsa.

CarpeyBiggs
09-24-2007, 03:30 PM
I posted some pics, if you are interested.

www.danransom.com/blog

Scott Card
09-24-2007, 04:09 PM

www.danransom.com/blog

Um.... duh... of course I am interested. Great shots as usual. :hail2thechief:

accadacca
09-25-2007, 12:22 PM

www.danransom.com/blog

Um.... duh... of course I am interested. Great shots as usual. :hail2thechief:
Get lost. . . :utes3: :doorpeak: :cry1:

Scott Card
10-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Dan, were you at the Vegas game? If so you need to throw us cougs a photo bone. :nod:

CarpeyBiggs
10-17-2007, 08:30 PM
No, rough weekend for me... Was going to fly down with my friend, but every plan I had fell apart, ended up watching it at home.

I'll be at EW though. Got my new big-ace lens to try out. Should be good.

Iceaxe
10-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Tell me again who the cougars play this week???

American Fork JV???

:lol8:

CarpeyBiggs
10-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Could've been worse, we could've played Utah St. this year, who is much worse the Eastern Washington... :haha:

Or I could just say U-N-L-V. Those four letters will haunt Utah for the rest of this season...

accadacca
10-21-2007, 10:27 AM
T-U-L-S-A

CarpeyBiggs
10-21-2007, 10:44 AM
The difference is Tulsa didn't cost BYU a shot at the conference championship. UNLV, on the other hand....

BTW, pics of Eastern Washington are up... www.danransom.com/blog

Iceaxe
10-21-2007, 11:59 AM
Congrads on the win over the JV squad.

:roll:

Scott Card
10-22-2007, 08:55 AM
Congrads on the win over the JV squad.

:roll: Key words "the win". Hey even Bronco thought the timing of this game was bad. Shoulda been the first or second game of the season. Oh well, we'll get back on track in San Deigo. My only grip was that the offense did not look too good in the first half. Dropped ball after dropped ball. Blocking was crappy too. Thank goodness for Unga. Darn near won it single handedly on offense. Defense looked fine.

Scott Card
10-22-2007, 09:05 AM
The difference is Tulsa didn't cost BYU a shot at the conference championship. UNLV, on the other hand....

BTW, pics of Eastern Washington are up... www.danransom.com/blog

Sweet, I love that one "coming in hot" great shot. The one of Semanoff tells the story of the receivers and backs trying to catch a ball in the first half. Thanks for sharing.

accadacca
10-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Hey what do you guys think. The first 3 or 4 games I thought Max Hall was much better then John Beck ever was in his first 2 years. However, Max Hall has a stable of good running back around him. In fact I am not sure that BYU has EVER had this many good backs at one time. Is Max Hall further along than Beck at this stage or does he just have better support around him?

CarpeyBiggs
10-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Definitely farther along than Beck was...

Mentally, Max is on a whole different plane. Beck was a mental head case for the longest time, simply because his coaches didn't instill confidence in him. Max, on the other hand, is a gamer. He doesn't care about making mistakes, he just wants to win, and he is very confident. He is an unconscious gun slinger... Very Favre-esque in my opinion. He might throw a few dumb picks, but if I wanted someone to lead my team, and it was between Beck and Hall, I'd take all every time. It took Beck until his senior year at TCU to develop that killer mentality.

As for running backs, BYU has some good ones right now, but let's not forget Curtis Brown so quickly. Beck had him for three years. Brown is arguably the best all around RB to ever play at the Y. (Though Unga could supplant him, if he keeps it up) And let's be honest, BYU only has one good back right now. Fui isn't full speed yet, and Tonga is playing mainly fullback.

Reedus
10-23-2007, 08:58 PM
Got agree with the big carpet meister. Beck isn't even close to the quarter back that Hall is. Right on the money when talking about confidence. Beck choked sooo many times in key moments. Hall gets it done.

Kent K25
10-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Got agree with the big carpet meister. Beck isn't even close to the quarter back that Hall is. Right on the money when talking about confidence. Beck choked sooo many times in key moments. Hall gets it done.

I'd say you agreed with him and took it to a whole new level....He is further along at this point than Beck was, but Beck is a much better QB than Hall is. That's present tense you're using. You really think Hall is an early 2nd round draft pick RIGHT NOW?

Reedus
10-24-2007, 07:22 AM
Sorry, my bad. By the time Hall is a Senior, I bet he goes first or second round. He is shaping up to be the best quarterback BYU has put out IMHO

CarpeyBiggs
10-24-2007, 09:54 AM
Sorry, my bad. By the time Hall is a Senior, I bet he goes first or second round. He is shaping up to be the best quarterback BYU has put out IMHO

I might agree, but he has a definite size disadvantage to John Beck. I've stood next to both, and Hall seems much smaller, less physically built for the NFL. We'll see what happens though.

Also, Hall might be surrounded by the most talented group of wide recievers that BYU has ever seen by his senior year, so his numbers should be ridiculous. He'll have Pitta, Unga, Collie, Jacobsen, and Ashworth as a senior.

Scott Card
10-24-2007, 10:21 AM
Also, Hall might be surrounded by the most talented group of wide recievers that BYU has ever seen by his senior year, so his numbers should be ridiculous. He'll have Pitta, Unga, Collie, Jacobsen, and Ashworth as a senior.If there is anything that gets me giddy with excitement besides canyoneering, its talk like this. :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
10-24-2007, 10:59 AM
He is shaping up to be the best quarterback BYU has put out

OK.... everyone on the bandwagon.... :lol8:

Scott Card
10-24-2007, 01:56 PM
He is shaping up to be the best quarterback BYU has put out

OK.... everyone on the bandwagon.... :lol8:

I'm a bit more skeptical. I'll let you know what I think after his junior year. :nod: Although easy game, his throwing last week was shakey in my opinion.

Kent K25
10-24-2007, 05:36 PM

No problem, I figured that's what you meant, but had to make sure.

I hope you're right, but I'm not ready to make a statement like that. Too early, plus I loved Beck (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Scott Card
11-05-2007, 05:33 PM
Calling Dan Ransom.... any photos from CSU v. BYU game? Us Cougs are lovin' your work.

CarpeyBiggs
11-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Sorry man... Missed the CSU game. Was runnin' around in Moab this weekend. Did BYU win? :roflol:

Scott Card
11-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Wawawahat? Blaspheme!..... I was looking for on the side line but couldn't see you. I was going to point out "that fine looking young photographer" to my wife but I couldn't see you. Now I know why. You doing the TCU game on Thursday? Oh and it is at 7:00 p.m. in the night. :lol8: (who won.... jeeez :haha: )

CarpeyBiggs
11-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Yeah, I'll be at the TCU game. Gimme a holla.

Kent K25
11-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Great game tonight!

Night games always have a different feel to them and this was the most enjoyable game I've been to in a while.

Iceaxe
11-09-2007, 10:13 AM
He is shaping up to be the best quarterback BYU has put out IMHO

OK, the TCU games was the first BYZoo game I have watched this year, and while Hall looks like a nice QB he has a really long way to go before even contending for best ever at BYU. My prediction is he will evenutally land in the teir under the elite former BYU QB's.

Scott Card
11-09-2007, 10:27 AM
As a sophomore, Max is doing pretty darn well. I must say that TCU came to play and gave BYU a game. That was a game where no one left early. And Shane, Bronco did what I know you hate on the second to last defensive series.... prevent defense. Dang near cost us the game. I am glad they went back to pressure defense on the last defensive series. They totally rattled the QB. It wasn't BYU's best outing but it was good enough for the win. Actually the O-line played great and the 4th down stops were so much fun to watch. I was in the nose bleed section so I couldn't pick out Dan taking pictures but I am looking forward to his shots of the game. I was wishing for my harness and rope to exit the stadium quicker. :haha:

Iceaxe
11-09-2007, 12:34 PM
And Shane, Bronco did what I know you hate on the second to last defensive series.... prevent defense.

That defense should be called by it's rightful name..... The prevent you from winning defence.

I have no problem if the corners play a little soft and the safeties play a cover 2 zone.... or if the D wants to drop into a sticks defence on 4th and long... but this give up a guaranteed 15 plus yards a play stuff is stupid.

Actually the O-line played great

That is part of my thoughts on Hall. The Y seems to have a good o-line and that can make an average QB look good and a good QB look great.

Hall was at home against a mediocre team. After the future greatest ever comment I was expecting to see more. But remember, this is the only Y game I've watched this year. He is certainly no Tim Tebow who is also a Sophomore.

:cool2:

CarpeyBiggs
11-09-2007, 01:17 PM
Hall was at home against a mediocre team. After the future greatest ever comment I was expecting to see more. But remember, this is the only Y game I've watched this year. He is certainly no Tim Tebow who is also a Sophomore.

:cool2:

Hands down, the best defensive team BYU has played all year. Hall was good. Not great, but good. He isn't Tebow, but I'd say he is a better passer than Tebow, but lacks the rest of the athleticism Tim has. The O-Line is playing better, but you should've seen how bad they've played this year. They certainly haven't done much for Hall to make him look great. They almost cost Hall is life on multiple occasions with those nasty blind side hits he was taking multiple times a game.

I doubt anyone believes he will be the "best ever," but I do think he will be better than John Beck. The kid is a gamer.

CarpeyBiggs
11-09-2007, 01:17 PM
BTW, pics from the game are here:

http://www.danransom.com/TripReports/?p=136

Scott Card
11-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Nice shots, Dan. I particularly liked the one of the TCU #14 who is laid out about a foot off the ground. Great shot.

And I agree with Dan that TCU was the best defense that the Y has faced all year. They snuffed the running game but of course Unga only had, what, 5 touches in the first half? As for Hall, he is getting better. It did look that the offense was out of sync last night at times but that may very well have been due to the defense.

Iceaxe
11-14-2007, 03:15 PM
John Beck will be starting for the fish this weekend.

accadacca
11-14-2007, 03:18 PM
John Beck will be starting for the fish this weekend.
Hopefully he will do better then Alex Smith did on his last game. :roll:

Iceaxe
11-14-2007, 05:17 PM
Hopefully he will do better then Alex Smith did on his last game. :roll:

I think Beck is in for the same treatment as Smith.... it's hard to be great with no blocking and recievers dropping the ball....

....I guess Beck can look at the bright side.... Ricky Williams was reinstated by the NFL today :lol8:

CarpeyBiggs
11-14-2007, 07:28 PM
I think Beck is in for the same treatment as Smith.... it's hard to be great with no blocking and recievers dropping the ball....

Actually, if there is a bright spot on the dolphins team, it is the O-Line. The problem is no running backs, and crappy WR's. And a defense that leaks like civ. I hope he just wins a game or two this season.

accadacca
11-14-2007, 09:28 PM
True. Smiths O line is a bunch of friggin' pansies. Dood has like 3 seconds to deliver the ball before he gets close lined. And those announcers, especially dip shits like Kornheiser keep ranting about how bad he is. Give me a freakin' break pencil neck. Lets see you out there! :roll:

Iceaxe
11-14-2007, 09:45 PM
I hate Tony Kornhole....

And while were on the subject.... I hate Monson in the SL trib and Sports Talk.... he is worthless....

:roll: