PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report finally some shots of kingspeak this august 2007

rlm
08-30-2007, 07:29 PM
finally some of the pictures from our kings peak hike. Some interesting notes and disclosures:
we left henrys fork trailhead wed aug 22 at about 11:00 am, when we arrived at elkhorn crossing we took the bear lake side trail, and shortly after taking that right, we followed a faint trail straight ahead of us, that led us to Henrys fork lake, where we made our 4 day camp.
One of the smartest things we did was take the next day off, not only due to the weather, but it gave us all a chance to acclimate to that altitude. and just plain feel better.
The morning of the ascent, we left at about 6:30 am, traveled up gunsight and over into painters, like almost all rookies I would think, but along the mountain side, we decided to cut straight up and catch the trail, rather than skirt around and take the long way up. this did save us some time, but also took a toll on our wind.
the Hike up was great, weather was great, the only mistake that I made was not taking enough water, I was led to believe that there was no water to be had once we started to make the ascent to the top, this is just not true, a filter would have been nice, especially for the longer than expected descent.
We had probably the best 4 days in the Uintahs that I think I have had for a while. If anyone has any questions about our Itinarary, please post it, we came up with some creative ways to keep our weight down, I traveled with food and water at about 30 lbs. so not bad, I was really trying to get below that.
Also I have been anti trail shoes up until this hike, the descision to finally dump my hiking boots and the subsequent blisters, made this trip really fantastic.

James_B_Wads2000
08-31-2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the TR rlm I have added it to the Utah High County Pointing Index (http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14340).

I also resized your pictures to prevent side-scroll. Click Here (http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1718) to view instructions on how to post pictures. The ideal size is medium or 800 X 600. That way we can all easily view your pics on our crappy-ass work moniters, So go ahead and resize some more and post them. The more the merrier.

Camping at Henry Forks Lake was a good idea. Dollar Lake is way too crowded and over used. Plus Henry Fork is bigger. Did you go check out the giant falls above the lake? I saw the moose swimming, did you guys swim in those super warm lakes :cold: ?

Looks like good times!

James

rlm
09-03-2007, 10:26 AM
I downloaded the powertools, and that is extremely slick. thanks for resizing those photos,
I found a couple of falls, but nothing that I would consider warm? where exactly are they?
I will be doing this trip again, and would like to know all the great little secrets to this hike,
I did not do the chute either up or down. is that really a good option to bagging the peak?>
thanks again.

James_B_Wads2000
09-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Sorry my sarcasm was not conveyed well in my post. When I said super warm lake I was joking, those lake are freezing cold :cold: . But it is still nice to swim in to get the 5 day old grime off.

The falls I am speaking about are above and feed Henry Fork Lake. The look huge from distance, in fact we could hear them roaring from the other side of the basin. We hiked to some smaller ones closer but we were too tired to hike to the big ones.

James