PDA

View Full Version : My solo journey from Utah to Alaska

tuckerdt
08-30-2007, 01:20 PM
I did this trip more than two months ago, but just got around to writing a trip report this week. I thought I would post the link to the report here in case anyone might find it of interest.

Beware: it is very long and detailed. Feel free to skip over the verbiage and look at the pictures.

Any questions or comments are welcome. I'll be gone from 9/1 - 18, and will respond after that date.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261633

double moo
08-30-2007, 08:16 PM
I may just have to change my screen name to "Jealous".

Udink
08-30-2007, 08:40 PM
That is awesome! I spent a good hour reading most of it, and the plethora of pictures go along great. Makes me jealous too. :five:

accadacca
08-31-2007, 11:16 PM
Sha-wheat! :popcorn:

tuckerdt
09-20-2007, 08:49 AM
I've had several questions about the items I found most/least valuable on this trip.

Most Valuable:

Airhawk seat cushion - expensive but worth every cent in my opinion. It never lost air over 8000 miles.

Garmin GPS - not a necessity but it sure increased my confidence

Primus miniature stove and multi-fuel gas - boiled a liter of water so fast you have to stay close by

Freeze-dried meals in a pouch - pour in boiling water, stir, seal the zip lock closure, and in 8-10 minutes you have a hot, tasty meal. I ate the majority of my meals this way.

Under Armour - top and bottom - with these I only used my heated vest one time crossing the Brooks Range at 38 degrees.

Water proof bags - I used the rubberized cloth types with roll up closures. I experienced more rain than not and these kept my stuff 100% dry. I used large ones for my clothes, and small ones for camera, important papers, etc.

Aluminum roll up table - many places I stopped didn't have a surface for my stove and this item ($20) was very useful, and packed up in a small bag.

Least Valuable:

T-Bag with waterproof(?) cover - anything in this bag during rain got wet.

-----------------------------------------------

There were many things I took that I didn't use (air pump and plug kit, tools) but would always have with me. Most of the items I took were obvious, or suggested by people in post ride reports. I read many AK reports in advrider and picked up many good ideas for packing, places to stay, eat, and areas of interest. This information can save you a lot of hardship.

I rode Avon Distanzia (F & R) on the way up. Traction on the Dalton Hwy in the rain was acceptable. I had my rear tire replaced on my way home in Fairbanks and George at Trail's End only had Metzler Tourances available.

If anyone has additional questions, let me know.

Tucker

jfeiro
09-25-2007, 06:34 PM
one word.......awesome!!...........ah second word....jealous

Jim