PDA

View Full Version : Pine Creek Sar Photos

Bo_Beck
08-29-2007, 07:39 AM
For those that may be interested I have posted a few pictures of the Pine Creek SAR on Aug 15 showing the Reeve in conjunction with a high line. Photos were taken from the Tunnel Window and show the lower and raise to a more or less degree.

Jaxx
08-29-2007, 08:14 AM
Nice pictures. That really puts the height in perspective. Good work!

oldno7
08-29-2007, 08:24 AM
WOW
those are incredible Bo,THX

tanya
08-29-2007, 08:30 AM
Nice!

Alex
08-29-2007, 08:34 AM
Man, I sure hope I never have to go through that. Thanks Bo!

rockgremlin
08-29-2007, 08:46 AM
Very nice! Thanks for posting those up!

Iceaxe
08-29-2007, 08:50 AM
Thanks Bo :2thumbs:

Riding the basket up looks a little scary to me :nod:

accadacca
08-29-2007, 08:56 AM
Thats awesome! Thanks for posting. :popcorn:

marc olivares
08-29-2007, 11:24 AM
that's so COOL!!!
thanks for sharing Bo

:2thumbs:

Bo_Beck
08-29-2007, 11:43 AM
WOW

I actually didn't take the photos. Tom Haraden, the park information liason took all the photos. I was in the first photo riding the litter down to thread the slot. Glad you all could enjoy seeing the photos that Tom took
:five:

Alex
08-29-2007, 11:52 AM
Well then thanks to Tom for taking the pics and to you for sharing them :2thumbs:

shagster
08-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Nice!! :2thumbs:

jvwarren
08-29-2007, 01:00 PM
Nice shots! I have some pictures from the bottom of this SAR. I'll figure out how to post them. I can't figure it out- if you want them, I'll email them and you can post them.

~J [/img]

AFI
08-29-2007, 01:54 PM
:2thumbs:

Cool Pics

James_B_Wads2000
08-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Nice shots! I have some pictures from the bottom of this SAR. I'll figure out how to post them. I can't figure it out- if you want them, I'll email them and you can post them.

~J [/img]

Click Here (http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1718) to view instructions on how to post pictures. Then post them, we would love to see them. http://btjdesign.com/emoticons/5.gif

James

Sombeech
08-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Is this from an actual rescue, or training?

Bo_Beck
08-30-2007, 05:28 AM
Is this from an actual rescue, or training?

Its from a rescue recently in Pine Creek. The fellow in the litter is a member on this forum. He has posted on Pine Creek SAR in this canyoneering topic list. He is doing well I think and very fortunately wasn't injured too badly. Our team had done a replica training at this exact location a few years ago so when the "real mccoy" happened a couple weeks ago we pretty much had it 'sussed'. I made one mistake though (not critical); If you look at the red strap that connects the litter to the "carriage" near the highline. When I rigged this carriage system, I should have made the strap much shorter and it would have been much easier to haul the litter, and patient through the tunnel window.

tanya
08-30-2007, 06:33 AM
I think riding in one of those baskets would give me a heart attack. :mrgreen:

tanya
08-30-2007, 06:34 AM
WOW

I actually didn't take the photos. Tom Haraden, the park information liason took all the photos. I was in the first photo riding the litter down to thread the slot. Glad you all could enjoy seeing the photos that Tom took
:five:

I think Tom H. should try a ride in a litter. :eek2: It would give the man a whole new perspective! (Super nice guy!!!!)

Brian in SLC
08-30-2007, 07:50 AM
Wow, that's pretty cool. Amazing rescue. Can't believe you guys shot the line through the window first try. Them line guns must be pretty accurate.

So...we were chattin' about this a tad at dinner the other day...

Couldn't have 6 folks carried a litter out the bottom of the canyon? I know its rough terrain, but, wouldn't that have worked in the dark? Might have takin' four hours, but?

Had the rescue been more time critical, what would the options have been? Carry to a location where a helicopter could long line the victim out?

Great looking rigging!

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

Brian in SLC
08-30-2007, 08:02 AM
Thought I'd try to upload a pic...interesting to compare the last rappel in Pine Creek from the rescue photo's, and one takin' when the canyon has some flow (late Feb 2004).

-Brian in SLC

Bo_Beck
08-30-2007, 09:31 AM
Wow, that's pretty cool. Amazing rescue. Can't believe you guys shot the line through the window first try. Them line guns must be pretty accurate.

It was a WHOLE BUNCH easier shootin out the window and just getting the projectile to land somewhere on the rim on the other side rather than trying to hit the window from the rim on the other side :haha:

So...we were chattin' about this a tad at dinner the other day...

Couldn't have 6 folks carried a litter out the bottom of the canyon? I know its rough terrain, but, wouldn't that have worked in the dark? Might have takin' four hours, but?

Brian...We did a rescue last year and the guy had made it several hundred yards downstream from the last drop. I was put in charge of carrying the guy back up to the bottom of the last rappel. The team rappeled out the window then went down the last drop. We walked downstream for maybe 10 minutes, loaded the patient into a litter then proceded to carry him back upstream. Kevin had estimated it would take us maybe half hour to get him back up to the bottom of the last rappel. 2 hours and 45 minutes later we had him there! He wasn't a perticularly big fella either. Carrying a litter through boulder fields is really really tough work! I suspect it would have taken our team of 7 at least 6 hours to get the guy downstream and out? This guy we hauled up and out the window a couple weeks ago was a BIG FELLA! It would have taken us even longer than 6 hours to get him downstream if that. Plus it is a whole lot safer to do what we did using a highline and reeve rather than trying to carry him out. He wasn't critical so spending the night and working by daylight made sense.

Had the rescue been more time critical, what would the options have been? Carry to a location where a helicopter could long line the victim out?

We would have done it the same way...using a highline with a reeve, but would have done it that same night.

Great looking rigging!

Cheers,

-Brian in SLC

James_B_Wads2000
08-30-2007, 11:41 AM
Thought I'd try to upload a pic...

Sweet pic Brian! What is that, like 10cfs?

James

Brian in SLC
08-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Sweet pic Brian! What is that, like 10cfs?

Not sure. Was raining pretty steady. High enough flow that I'd have been pretty nervous trying a descent.

Here's a shot of Heaps. Same rain.