PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a tent

DiscGo
08-28-2007, 10:34 PM
My wife has finally signed off on letting me get a sweet tent.
Which of these tents would you get if you were getting one?
EV 3
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=3&prod=218&cat=21&viewAll=False
Trango 4
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=3&prod=192&cat=21&viewAll=False

The Trango 4 is listed as more of a "base camp" and the EV 3 is listed as mor of a summit tent. The EV 3 weighs half as much but the Trango 4 is roomier.

Anyway, what do you think?

asdf
08-29-2007, 06:17 AM
whatever tent you want discgo...... I would say it really depends on what you need it for. You also may want this post moved to the camping and backpacking forum.

Alex
08-29-2007, 07:27 AM
What exactly are you looking for?

Looking at both those tents I'd tell ya, I never liked the "front" door entrance to tents. I always liked the side entrance. Getting in and out of the "front" door tents is always a pain and you have to know yoga to drag your ass out.

Also, if you are looking for a backpacking tent, look how small the package is when it's folded up. That came as a priority for me, since you can fit so much into a backpack.

Another thing if you have a kid, pay attention to the door itself. My kid kept tripping himself on the bottom part of the door lip. I got another tent that the lip was low to the ground so he could easily clear it.

Make sure there is good ventilation at the top of the tent and the rain cover doesn't touch the body of the tent. That is what makes the condensation on the inside.

Jaxx
08-29-2007, 08:34 AM
I vote Ev3 because my favorite color is orange.

Alex
08-29-2007, 08:41 AM

Oh come on! Men don't pick tents because of the color!!!! :eek1: :puke8:

Jaxx
08-29-2007, 08:42 AM

Oh come on! Men don't pick tents because of the color!!!! :eek1: :puke8:

I am 13% gay according to the online test I took. :roflol:

Alex
08-29-2007, 08:43 AM
:roflol: Jaxx, I loved the come back!!! :2thumbs:

Jaxx
08-29-2007, 08:47 AM
:roflol: Jaxx, I loved the come back!!! :2thumbs:
Thanks!

OK in all seriousness I like the Trango 4 because it is a 4 person. With your wife, baby and gear you will probably want the room. If its for backpacking then the EV3 is almost half the weight and it's pretty!

Edit: I just noticed that the fly on the Trango is yellow/gray. Yellow is my 2nd favorite color :2thumbs:. The Fly on the Trango looks awesome too. The next tent I buy is going to have a full fly, it makes a big difference.

Alex
08-29-2007, 08:49 AM
and it's pretty!

DUDE!!!! :eek2: :nono:

Jaxx
08-29-2007, 08:51 AM
and it's pretty!

DUDE!!!! :eek2: :nono:

I did that just for you :2thumbs:

madsjim
08-29-2007, 11:05 AM
I don't personally own a Trango, but I know that they are bombproof. The Trango is one of the most popular tents for Himalayan climbing and if they weren't so expensive and heavy I would have one myself. I expect the 4 person Trango is very spacious and comfortable.

The Ed Viesturs version is a very technical tent. It is single walled so it would be lighter and easier to set up, but I believe it would not be as spacious as a Trango.

Both tents are awesome, but I would go with a Trango.

Jim

DiscGo
08-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Thanks a lot for the feedback.

I have wanted a four person four season tent for years. My big thing is that the Trango is twice as heavy, so I'd have to carry a lot more weight.

denaliguide
09-02-2007, 05:35 PM
i've spent several nights at 17,200 on denali in a trango and can say that it is a bombproof tent. while its not light i think if you go with the wife and kids you will fiind the roominess a plus. definitely not a solo tent though. but if you go backpacking with a couple of others it divides 3 ways easily (tent, poles, fly).

benlittle
09-07-2007, 01:31 PM
This may have been covered but..........What are you going to use it for?

Decide that then go forward.

Brian in SLC
09-12-2007, 07:49 AM
I have wanted a four person four season tent for years. My big thing is that the Trango is twice as heavy, so I'd have to carry a lot more weight.

If you want double walls, 4 person, and a 4 season tent, 12 pounds is about where it shakes out.

Are you going to use it just for backpacking and/or winter camping? And not, say, a climbing expedition to a place where you'll be stuck in bad weather?

Reason I ask is, you can plunk a ton of cabbage down on a bombproof tent when you might never actually take advantage of it.

Most 4 season backpacking use seems like you could get a pretty good weather forecast and prudently bail if severe weather was going to happen. Also, in winter, with snow, you have other shelter options.

Single wall tents are going to be lighter, but, they're also more prone to gettin' destroyed in bad weather, especially heavy snowfall. If you need to shovel a tent out and you hit the sides, you'll knock a bunch of holes in it. With a double wall tent, all you need to do is repair the fly. Single wall, its tougher.

Also, I think for sitting out prolonged storms in nasty weather, double wall tents are more comfy. Somewhat personal preference though.

And, if you had to cook in the tent (always not recommended but it happens), the single wall tents all seem to be more prone to bursting into flames than a double wall. Some of the single wall tents can't be sold in the U.S. and/or certain states due to flammability concerns.

Anyhoo, if you want to save weight and bulk, single wall is where its at.

http://www.bdel.com/gear/tents_overview.php

Double wall, these guys are worth a look (I think MSR bought Moss, and, I've had a couple of large Moss tents and they are the most bomber tents out there):

http://www.msrcorp.com/tents/expedition.asp

One thing I'd consider when buying a four person four season tent is its footprint. Ie, how many stake out points does it have. 4, 6, 8? For me, less is more. A square tent seems more efficient for space, and, it only takes four points to hold it down. Which means, when the poo hits the fan and you need to move, you only have to unhitch four points.

Mountain Hardware tents seem great. They are popular. Its interesting, in the 80's, it seemed that North Face and maybe Wild Country dominated the expedition tent market. MH really went after the market and pretty much nailed it down. I've seen them in use a bunch and they would be pretty highly recommended.

Burliest tent I own is a Bibler Fitzroy...followed by my Moss Little Dipper (which is currently in pieces due to givin' er all in a bad storm).

Favorite current tent is a BD Lighthouse...

Anyhoo...cheers!

-Brian in SLC

stefan
09-12-2007, 09:03 AM

hey brian,

what are your thoughts about the lighthouse vs. the hilight.

i have been considering getting one of these for a little bit, here. i tend to go for the smaller packing (6"x12" for lighthouse and 6"x9" highlight) and lighter weight (3lb3oz lighthouse and 2lb10oz for hilight). though increased space is nice, and i like the 2-pole design a little better.

Brian in SLC
09-12-2007, 03:03 PM

what are your thoughts about the lighthouse vs. the hilight.
i have been considering getting one of these for a little bit, here. i tend to go for the smaller packing (6"x12" for lighthouse and 6"x9" highlight) and lighter weight (3lb3oz lighthouse and 2lb10oz for hilight). though increased space is nice, and i like the 2-pole design a little better.

Depends on how tall you are, maybe. The lighthouse ilooks like its more based on the older Bibler Eldorado foot print, whilst the hilight looks like an I tent foot print. So, a bit shorter (87" v 82"). From experience, I know I don't fit in an I tent very well (6'1"). My feet hit the end and if its cold out, they tend to get cold.

For a solo rig, would be nice. For two sub 6 foot folk, who didn't mind being cozy, would be nice.

Go downstairs at the retail store and crawl in one! Really only about a half pound difference. The bulk is so low on these rigs, you can really get your pack size down too. All adds up.

Was kinda surprised how well mine did in a light rain the other weekend in the Wind Rivers. No leakage.

And, I really like the side opening. Crawled over my partner in the middle of the night to use the outside facilities, and, didn't even wake them up.

-Brian in SLC

Scott Card
09-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Does anyone have any experience with the four man 4-season Cabelas XPG tent? It is 13 lbs 1 oz.

mtreker
10-24-2007, 06:00 PM
It depends on where your going? the trango is 100% water proof due to the fly. The EV is not, it is designed for high alt. low percip.