PDA

View Full Version : camelbak

rlm
08-27-2007, 09:00 PM
I have just returned from the infamous kings peak hike, trip report will follow soon, ,
first does anyone have any ideas on the best way to clean a camelbak without buying there effervescent tablets,
will a clorox mixture or denture cleaner tablet work as well?
this goes for the tubing as well
thanks

denaliguide
08-27-2007, 09:24 PM
i bought a cleaning kit that has a device which you run through the tube and the inside i just use a bottle brush or a sponge, depending on if i'm clleaning the a narrow mouth or wide mouth.

TreeHugger
08-28-2007, 03:59 PM
I have never "cleaned" a camelbak and have never had any problems with any of them. I dont understand the big deal about them as there is invariably always a thread about cleaning camelbaks on every mountain biking and hiking site I've ever known! If I am using water in my camelbak, I empty it out and hang it open to dry. If there is gatorade in it, I rinse it then hang it out to dry. Once in a while, if there has been gatorade in it for al couple of days, because I forgot to rinse and hang, I will use dish soap, and a bottle brush - squeeze a little soapy water through the tube and then rinse and hang open to dry. Easy. :-)

accadacca
08-28-2007, 08:20 PM
I have never "cleaned" a camelbak and have never had any problems with any of them. I dont understand the big deal about them as there is invariably always a thread about cleaning camelbaks on every mountain biking and hiking site I've ever known! If I am using water in my camelbak, I empty it out and hang it open to dry.
I do the same thing, just hang it to dry. The last bladder lasted like 5 years. :cool2:

asdf
08-28-2007, 08:35 PM
I keep mine in the freezer ... I rinse it out and dry it as best I can then toss it in the freezer until next time I use it. :popcorn:

hank moon
08-28-2007, 08:50 PM
I have never "cleaned" a camelbak and have never had any problems with any of them.

since moving west, i haven't cleaned one. Back east, it's a must. stuf grows, turns green, etc.

i love the west.

Mtnman1830
08-28-2007, 10:08 PM
I just dry mine out, rinse it well if I put any crystal light in it.
Keeping it in the freezer will keep things from growing, but I have never had a problem.
I read somewhere that efferdent will work instead of buying the over-priced cleaning tablets.

Sombeech
08-29-2007, 10:41 PM
If you don't want to clean it, fill it 25% full with water, and maybe a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice. The acids seem to eat up any stale flavor, and it doesn't taste too bad when you use it again.