PDA

View Full Version : Ross Park - Pocatello

ajroadtrips
08-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Been a little slow around here, so I'll post up. Anybody else climbed at Ross Park in Pocatello?

Hesse and I climbed there recently. Fun! It's as close to a climbing gym outdoors as I can imagine. Picnic tables, manicured (and short) approaches, number routes (painted at the bottom), and well bolted. Wild. All right in the city.

Didn't get any pictures, because I was either climbing or belaying. Likely not a destination, but if your headed up that way, check it out. The climbing sorta reminded me of the limestone in American Fork, but seemingly more technical movement. (Basalt I think.)

We got great info from the seiclimbing.com site. A ton of routes for all levels. My only complaint was the routes are quite short, again though, ala a climbing gym.

-deserthiker

Brian in SLC
08-24-2007, 07:37 AM
Been a little slow around here, so I'll post up. Anybody else climbed at Ross Park in Pocatello?

If you liked Ross Park, you'd probably love Massacre Rocks.

Have a friend who climbs at Ross Park, but, for me, I sail right on past, usually for bigger and better venues. Ok, I'll admit to stopping to get a quick pump. Convenient as heck.

-Brian in SLC

ajroadtrips
08-24-2007, 01:10 PM
If you liked Ross Park, you'd probably love Massacre Rocks.

Have a friend who climbs at Ross Park, but, for me, I sail right on past, usually for bigger and better venues. Ok, I'll admit to stopping to get a quick pump. Convenient as heck.

-Brian in SLC

I'm hoping to get to Massacre later this fall when the temps get more reasonable. I gotta get Cri off the canyon addiction. :lol8: Although short, many of the Ross Park routes were a puzzle to decipher before getting too pumped.... I would bet the routes get substantially easier after a few tries when you know where the holds are.

I'm headed to Maple for the weekend. If your around, you should come down and climb with us. We're headed down Saturday morning, back Sunday. Heading down with the climbing gun, so I may get to TR some of the big boy routes... :cool2: