PDA

View Full Version : Best Gear Shops in Utah

price1869
08-22-2007, 06:07 PM
Well, let's list them out. Maybe what you think makes them good.

1. REI: Sandy on 106 or so and SLC at 3300 south - Duh, return policy, selection, garage sales, clearance sales, etc.

2. IME: 3300 south by REI- Cool staff, locally owned, tons of the best climbing/canyoneering gear.

3. Black Diamond: 3900 south and 18th or so east - Sells way more than just BD stuff and sometimes they have the cosmetic defect carabiners and other hardware.

4. Kirkhams: State Street and in the 3000's south - feels like a home made REI to me, but some people love it.

5. Sports authority: All over, doesn't carry climbing or real biking gear, but has good deals on accessories and clothes. I buy my North Face shorts there.

6. Big 5: all over - same as SA, but every once in a while you'll get a killer deal on some cool gear, like my $60 Smith and W knife that they were selling for $13.

That's a start, I have to go now, but there's the climbing shop up in ogden, all the places in Moab and Zion, Where else?

edited to add numbers

Scott Card
08-22-2007, 06:11 PM
Utah County -

Moutain Works (Provo) - best climbing gear selection in the area

Cabelas - need I say more.

Sportsman's Wearhouse (Provo) - cheap wet suits

Recreation Outlet (American Fork) - cheap clothes

Imlay Canyon Gear (Online) best canyoneering gear without question.

Brewhaha
08-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Okay, how about some of the smaller stores that most don't already know about.

Moab - You've got to love Gearheads. I am always amazed at what they have in that little store.

Here's a link with a few pics:

http://www.pbase.com/listorama/2004ut_gearheads

Scout Master
08-23-2007, 01:11 AM
Canyon Sports, Ogden!

Win
08-23-2007, 07:21 AM
I've gotten stuff from:

North Wash Outfitters - Bluff
Zion Rock - Springdale
Zion Adventure - Springdale

And my favorite: Bo @ Outdoor Outlet - St George

Win

gonzo
08-23-2007, 08:23 AM
The best running supply store in Salt Lake City is Salt Lake Running Company (http://www.saltlakerunningco.com). Although, their selection of trail shoes is pretty underwhelming.

Jaxx
08-23-2007, 09:11 AM
Mountainworks in Provo is packed full and the help is awesome.

Hansen Mountaineering in Orem also has awesome staff.

mtreker
08-23-2007, 02:56 PM
www.backcountry.com, utah based online store.

gonzo
08-23-2007, 03:22 PM
www.backcountry.com, utah based online store.

Was Utah-based. The were purchased a few months ago by Liberty Media, the same company that owns QVC and Expedia. They claim the entire operation will stay in Utah, but companies always claim "little will change" when they get bought out.

mtreker
08-23-2007, 05:03 PM
I work for them. they are working on expanding the warehouse.

Scott Card
08-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Hansen Mountaineering in Orem also has awesome staff.

I agree the staff is great but the gear selection has suffered recently. I was in there a couple of days ago and the selection for just about everything was slim pickins. Buy more gear so I can look at it and feel it and just maybe I will buy it. (if anyone there is listening)

moabfool
08-23-2007, 08:56 PM
Take REI off that list and maybe you'll have something. REI is a shadow of its former self. You can still get a decent selection of reasonably priced, main-stream gear, but if you want the really good stuff you'll have to go somewhere else. REI doesn't carry any real backpacking or mountaineering boots. No Bibler tents either. Is there a good approach shoe sold at REI? Nope. If you want pants and quick dry shirts, go to REI.

The Black Diamond shop on 3900 So., now there's a gear shop. They don't have nearly the selection that REI has, but who needs it when they only stock the best.

IME is a darn fine shop too, way better than BD if you're a serious climber (which I am not).

denaliguide
08-27-2007, 09:10 PM
pagan mountain sports in moab.