PDA

View Full Version : My Hiking/Hunting Boot Review

tapehoser
08-21-2007, 10:04 AM
So, I went to Cabela's yesterday with all my birthday cash and spent my wad in anticipation of this year's rifle elk hunt. I was prepared to spend at least $150, JUST on boots, more if absolutely necessary. I didn't just put these boots on and take them off. I wore them all for a good 15 minutes and walked up and down the little "rock" display that they have in the shoe section. I spent about 3.5 hours in the shoe section, and I am sure the associates were sick of me by day's end.
Here's what I found:

Meindl Perfekt Hunter: Stiff as heck and very narrow toe area. Felt that blisters would easily form on the lower-back portion of the heel. No insulation would require nice, thick socks.

Mendl Hiker Elite: Stiff but workable. No insulation. OK, but for the price....nah.

Danner Grand Slam: The 1200 gram Thinsulate boot was wonderful. Wide toe area, nice, soft feel and no hot spots. But the 600 gram boot was vastly different. Tighter in the toe area, which, for me, means blisterville. Since my purchase will be used in the hot summer months as well as the middle of October, 600 grams of Thinsulate was as much as I was willing to go.

Cabela's Whitetail Extreme: They were OK. They had LOTS of arch support which might be good for some, but for me, it just means blisters in my arch.

Irish Setter Raptor: YUCK! Felt terribly stiff and uncomfortable on my foot and would've even given me blisters on the TOPS of my feet. They just seemed a little weird to consider a 'hunting' boot.

Cabela's 6-Point: By far the best. Fit my foot like a glove and felt no hot spots or stiffness, except for the tread, which tended to return a good portion of energy back to my foot with each step.

Rocky something-or-others: Crappy boot. Felt like it was going to slice my foot apart if I kept walking in them.

Wolverine Ironwood: Pretty OK boot, but no insulation.

The boot prices varied from $59.00 - $189.00.

The winner, you ask? The $59 Cabela's 6-Point boot. Now, my experience will be different than everyone else's because feet are as different as finger prints. Nobody fits the same boot.

There ya have it.

fouristhenewone
08-21-2007, 10:52 PM
gotta say - pickin new boots is a bizzzitch... I spent several days worth of research and trying on before I was able to come to a decision. my montrail torre gtx have been worth it though. well over 1000 miles in them in the last few years, and they are still rocking and rollin. I love those things, best things since sliced bread and nekkid wimmin...