PDA

View Full Version : Water Treatment Recommendations

gonzo
08-20-2007, 12:24 PM
For my birthday I was lucky enough to get some REI giftcards, which I'm going to put towards a water treatment system. I'm looking for something lightweight (for dayhiking and ultralight use). I'm thinking about the Katadyn Exstream XR, but I'm open to suggestions.

shlingdawg
08-20-2007, 12:33 PM
I have the Katadyn Hiker model. Worked great and never had a problem with it. They seem to make quality stuff.

bo_jangles
08-20-2007, 01:04 PM
I had the PUR hiker, which is now the Katadyn Hiker - and it did a good job. It provided a relatively fast flowrate with little pumping effort. There were a few times when the pump would not start on it's own - and I would have to pour water inside the cylinder to get it primed. The other downside is having to deal with the two hoses. First you have to find a good place to set your water bottle so it won't tip over while you pump (because pumping requires both hands) and then you have to get the intake end to stay put in a good spot in the water so it won't get clogged with sediment while you pump (there is a pre-filter at the very end of the intake tube). This is tricky to do in a small stream where it is shallow and the intake wants to move everywhere. But then you can prop it with stones and stuff so it will stay put. After everything is all set up, it's easy going.

But a while ago I got a model similar to the one you mentioned and it is much simpler - you can drink right from the bottle! Sweet. The only downside to it is that after pumping it for a couple minutes (it's a little slow, but who's in a hurry when you're camping!?) your hand starts to ache.

In the end, I'd go with the XStream.

goofball
08-20-2007, 01:33 PM
unless you are going where people or stock crap in the water you drink i wouldn't worry about water treatment. it has been a few years but i remember backpacker magazine doing a field test for little nasties in popular destination locations around the states. not one of them were even close to having ppm that would affect a human. for 5 years i have never used a filter/purifier and have not once got sick. i will amend that to say if my only option is a nasty pothole and i know this is likely the only option before i go, i will take a filter to remove particularte matter and some iodine tabs. just get living water, avoid stagnant pools, dunk as far under the surface as you can if at a lake, and enjoy !

more locally, i have hiked a good deal in the cottonwoods since moving here. almost all the popular trails to lake basins. i never have gotten sick from drinking from a living (flowing) water source.

bo_jangles
08-20-2007, 01:43 PM
Different strokes for different folks. I myself in the past had preferred to drink from streams and such (here in the wasatch) and I have gotten sick twice. I should have learned my lesson from the first time, because after you've gotten sick once - you never want to go through that again. I won't risk it anymore, unless it is meltwater directly off the snow or directly from a flowing spring.

If you don't get sick, the more power to you. As for me, I'll play it safe, filter my water, and never have the squirts like that again!

CarpeyBiggs
08-20-2007, 01:57 PM
Seriously, I wouldn't mess around with the wasatch water. My buddy got the bug just a month or so ago after drinking from water on Lone Peak. Crapping mucus bricks is not my idea of fun....

goofball
08-20-2007, 03:29 PM
very valid points guys. maybe i am tempting fate ? crapping mucous bricks for a week sounds un-fun for sure. i have just never heard of anyone getting sick from unfiltered water before. granted my circle is teeny tiny, but the few i have known for years all operate the same pretty much. and after 5 years i gotta keep goin ! i'll see just how long a run i can have. of NOT getting the runs, that is.

Scott Card
08-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Oh man, I would not drink the water around here. I have known several people who have been sick from drinking water in the mountains. Most recently a scout on a canoe trip told of his cramps and so forth. Yikes. I don't have any ultralight suggestions since I seem to be the designated camel with my 16 oz. MSR Miniworks ex filter. It has always served me and groups well including filtering the Escalante with all it's silt. I would like to hear what you decide on and how it works for you 'cause I would like to go smaller and lighter.

CarpeyBiggs
08-20-2007, 04:06 PM
It should be noted that some people can get the bug (giardia) but it never actually affects them. Perhaps you've had it already, or still have it, but your body is able to handle it. It isn't uncommon for people to be very resilient to it's consequences. That said, some people are very weak. It is possible to get the bug without even drinking the water, but by washing hands in a creek, and then eating a candybar, for instance. Very much a hit and miss type situation.

Judging by your track record, you may have the iron gut. But that isn't a game I'd like to play. Good luck.

accadacca
08-20-2007, 07:24 PM
Ive had this one for 5 years or so. It works great and Ive never ralfed using it. :lol8:

http://www.rei.com/product/617913?vcat=REI_SSHP_CAMPING_TOC

http://images.rei.com/media/164475.jpg

Sombeech
08-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Whatever you bring, empty 1 gallon jugs are always a must to store your water. They're feather light, and easy to tie on to the pack. Great for mixing gatorade or crystal light. :2thumbs:

scoutabout
08-20-2007, 09:08 PM
I have a "First Need" mechanical water purifier. It works great. The pump housing will screw on to a nalgene bottle, and it's easy to pump. The thing is awesome.

http://www.generalecology.com/portablesystem.htm

I also usually carry some bleach in a little eye dropper bottle just in case there's a problem with the purifier.

stefan
08-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Whatever you bring, empty 1 gallon jugs are ... Great for mixing gatorade or crystal light. :2thumbs:

crystal light? i haven't heard that name in ages

Sombeech
08-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Whatever you bring, empty 1 gallon jugs are ... Great for mixing gatorade or crystal light. :2thumbs:

crystal light? i haven't heard that name in ages

Great stuff. No sugar, tons of flavors. :2thumbs:

UTJetdog
08-21-2007, 07:43 AM
+1 for the Pur (Katadyn) Hiker.

I also pesonally know of two cases of Giardia from popular Utah mountain watershed. I've been told you wish you could die, and it can last for 10 days... No thank you!

crystal light? Don't forget the TANG :cool2:

J

gonzo
08-21-2007, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll do a little more research on my own and let you know what I settle on.

I had my dog vaccinated against giardia. I didn't even know there was a vaccination available. I wonder why there isn't one available for humans.

Scott Card
08-21-2007, 12:19 PM
I had my dog vaccinated against giardia. I didn't even know there was a vaccination available. I wonder why there isn't one available for humans.
We don't drink out of toilets .... well at least most people. Can't swear for folks on this site :lol8:

AFI
08-21-2007, 01:52 PM
I like Tang

RedRoxx
08-22-2007, 05:30 AM
For nasty water, pothole or otherwise; I take my First Need. Have filtered downstream from a dead rotting cow carcass ( saw that the next morning ) and did fine.
For cleaner water I use Aqua Mira and sometimes a little bleach for containers.

denaliguide
08-27-2007, 09:34 PM
heres another vote for the katadyn hiker. i've ad mine for several years. it's light and works great.

chromehead58
08-28-2007, 10:26 AM
I was just in sportsman warehouse..they had a filter that used lights...In the past i have used the pur hiker, but was looking at this, it is tiny light and the literature on it said it would treat like 4000 gallons before needing new lights..
has anyone seen these or know anything about them?

gonzo
08-28-2007, 10:39 AM
I ended up going with MSR MiniWorks EX (http://www.msrcorp.com/filters/miniworks_ex.asp). I looked at, and seriously considered, the Katadyn Hiker, but decided I preferred the grip-style pump to the up-n-down style. I also liked that it screws directly onto my Nalgene bottles, so I'll never mix up the input and output hoses.

Hopefully I'll actually get a chance to use it this weekend!

Jaxx
08-28-2007, 11:46 AM
I was just in sportsman warehouse..they had a filter that used lights...In the past i have used the pur hiker, but was looking at this, it is tiny light and the literature on it said it would treat like 4000 gallons before needing new lights..

I haven't used one personally but I did look into these while researching filtration. The big problem I had with these is that they don't filter, they just purify. I have filtered some nasty water that I was glad to not be drinking the floaties, no matter how purified it was. That is the same problem I have with the MSR handheld little pen one that uses salt, no filtration.

Scott Card
08-28-2007, 03:29 PM
[quote=chromehead58]I was just in sportsman warehouse..they had a filter that used lights...In the past i have used the pur hiker, but was looking at this, it is tiny light and the literature on it said it would treat like 4000 gallons before needing new lights..

"delete" Opps, didn't read your post carefully enough. Never mind.

ugly
09-03-2007, 06:21 PM
unless you are going where people or stock crap in the water you drink i wouldn't worry about water treatment. it has been a few years but i remember backpacker magazine doing a field test for little nasties in popular destination locations around the states. not one of them were even close to having ppm that would affect a human. for 5 years i have never used a filter/purifier and have not once got sick. i will amend that to say if my only option is a nasty pothole and i know this is likely the only option before i go, i will take a filter to remove particularte matter and some iodine tabs. just get living water, avoid stagnant pools, dunk as far under the surface as you can if at a lake, and enjoy !

more locally, i have hiked a good deal in the cottonwoods since moving here. almost all the popular trails to lake basins. i never have gotten sick from drinking from a living (flowing) water source.

ugly
09-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Ok, I don't know what I am doing, so to reference the above attempt to quote goofballs previous comment.

What about activated charcoal? This was a wonder drug in my youth. We used it topically on anything and oraly for any flipflop of the stomach. I still use it but never on a hike. I don't know anything about parasites so I have never risked it. But all these filtration systems use charcoal as a filter agent so why wouldn't it be just as effective to cut out the middleman and just injest the charcoal direct. I understand this is retroactive not proactive, but if for goofball who feels the risk is minimal and the obvious advatages this would at least prevent a three day aftermath. Of course this is only valid if it is effective.

Anyone know for sure?

Sombeech
09-03-2007, 07:26 PM
I thought the charcoal in the filters was just for the taste.

Cirrus2000
09-03-2007, 08:06 PM
I ended up going with MSR MiniWorks EX (http://www.msrcorp.com/filters/miniworks_ex.asp). I looked at, and seriously considered, the Katadyn Hiker, but decided I preferred the grip-style pump to the up-n-down style. I also liked that it screws directly onto my Nalgene bottles, so I'll never mix up the input and output hoses.

I love my MiniWorks. Love, love, love. Filtered some truly crappy, stinky, swampy water in Wrather Canyon this spring - came out sweet and delicous. Mmmmm.....

Scott Card
09-04-2007, 11:45 AM

Good choice. How'd you like it? I too prefer the grip-style pump to the up and down. Less tiring to me.

gonzo
09-04-2007, 12:46 PM
I didn't end up using it this weekend. I did a long hike up to Broads Fork Twin Peaks. I probably could have used an extra liter of water by the time I hit the beaver pond and stream in the meadow on the descent, but I was too tired to bother with it at the time.

I did filter a few liters from my sink (to clean the filter, as per the instructions), and it was incredibly easy to use once I got the umbrella gasket thing placed properly.

packfish
09-20-2007, 12:05 PM
http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2007/09/20/features/outdoors/45-aqualimpia.txt