PDA

View Full Version : lightweight packing

rlm
08-19-2007, 07:36 AM
I am doing my final backpack check, and am at 24# with food, but no water.
we are doing 4 days to kings peak, does that sound about right or am I still to heavy?
any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

CarpeyBiggs
08-19-2007, 09:32 AM
That's purdy good. Add 4 pounds for water (or less, there are places to pump) and you should be set. Have fun.

rooster32
08-19-2007, 05:29 PM
We're doing Red Castle and my pack will probably be 50-60lbs :eek2:

A big chunk of that will be dog supplies, shotgun and other bird hunting supplies.

I'd love to be sub 30lbs..

stefan
08-19-2007, 06:01 PM
We're doing Red Castle and my pack will probably be 50-60lbs :eek2:

A big chunk of that will be dog supplies, shotgun and other bird hunting supplies.

I'd love to be sub 30lbs..

you know, first time i did the hike to red castle, we met a guy and his dog. it was the first time i'd ever seen a backpack for a dog. i thought it was the coolest thing. guy said ... "the dog can come along, but he's gotta carry his own weight." i laughed. the dog seemed not to mind the pack one bit.

TreeHugger
08-19-2007, 07:00 PM
24# is very light for 4 days! I was 35 without water on our Iceland trip.

benlittle
08-20-2007, 08:48 AM
I am doing my final backpack check, and am at 24# with food, but no water.
we are doing 4 days to kings peak, does that sound about right or am I still to heavy?
any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Depends on how much you weigh. You should stay at or below 20% of your body weight.

I tend to go heavy. Not that I don't have light gear, I just like A LOT of food while packing.

KillEmAll
08-20-2007, 10:40 AM
Yeah, eating good is usually my #1 priority. If there's fish to fry I'll rely on that. Otherwise, I'm usually packing in a few cans of stew since I don't really like the freeze dried junk, and hey, I'm on vacation right? :haha:

benlittle
08-20-2007, 12:47 PM
LOL, I have never packed a can of food.

I just take a lot of goodies... cookies, mountain house, pringles, beef jerky, cliff bars etc. Lots of calories.

KillEmAll
08-20-2007, 01:23 PM

I just take a lot of goodies... cookies, mountain house, pringles, beef jerky, cliff bars etc. Lots of calories.

You consider Mountian House a goodie? Holy crap, you probably like black licorice too you sick bastard!

benlittle
08-20-2007, 03:16 PM

You consider Mountian House a goodie? Holy crap, you probably like black licorice too you sick bastard!

Mmm... Black licorice.

Mountain House is just good because there isn't any clean up. Most is pretty good. You can find plenty of other stuff that's dehydrated but it has to be cooked or boiled in a bowl/ pot. I personally hate cleaning pots while backpacking especially when you have to pump all the water you're using.

KillEmAll
08-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Yes, not cleaning up is quite nice. And in all honesty, for freeze dried their food aint half bad. The one thing that really irks me is that they typically only sell it in 2 serving sizes. I like my food, but not that much. Seriously, am I missing something with this? I'm not making dinner for my friends here. I can only stand so much of their "meat". And when they do come in single servings, it's usually the same price as a double. WTF!! Please, someone give me some insight here. I'm not gonna start halfing it either (tried it, major pain in my @#$).

rlm
08-20-2007, 04:29 PM
this year i made all of my meals from freeze dried ingredients, contents were smaller in size and no packaging. so I was able to put 4 days of food into a 1 gallon ziploc and pack into my pack weighing 2 lbs.
pretty good I think, now I'll see how filling it is.

caverspencer
08-20-2007, 08:37 PM
I just did Gilbert and Kings last weekend Thursday-Saturday. I was at 28lbs which seemed to heavy to me. I took way too much food and carried way too much water.

without food and water I can usually get my base pack under 20lbs, but that weight doesnt change much because for me all that changes is the amount of food and water I take.

Water is very abundant up there. Water was even flowing up at Anderson Pass.
I carried up a full 100 ounce bladder, I wish I would have done about 32 ounces instead.

benlittle
08-21-2007, 11:50 AM
this year i made all of my meals from freeze dried ingredients, contents were smaller in size and no packaging. so I was able to put 4 days of food into a 1 gallon ziploc and pack into my pack weighing 2 lbs.
pretty good I think, now I'll see how filling it is.

Cool. That's something I really want to try.

benlittle
08-21-2007, 12:04 PM
I just did Gilbert and Kings last weekend Thursday-Saturday. I was at 28lbs which seemed to heavy to me. I took way too much food and carried way too much water.

without food and water I can usually get my base pack under 20lbs, but that weight doesnt change much because for me all that changes is the amount of food and water I take.

Water is very abundant up there. Water was even flowing up at Anderson Pass.
I carried up a full 100 ounce bladder, I wish I would have done about 32 ounces instead.

That's just crazy low pack weight. Good for you. I've never EVER weighed less than 30lbs doing a 5+ day trip. :ne_nau:

caverspencer
08-21-2007, 12:42 PM
That's just crazy low pack weight. Good for you. I've never EVER weighed less than 30lbs doing a 5+ day trip. :ne_nau:

Note that I said WITHOUT food and water. Also this was only a 3 day trip, although I came prepared to stay up to 5 if I had to to get Kings and Gilbert. Like I said I had waay to much food.

FYI my tent is a BlackDiamond LightSabre Bivy, it weighs less than 1.5lbs, my sleeping bag is about 2.5 lbs (and I have yet to have a cold night), then I have a 3/4 length thermarest, an MSR whisperlight stove, a titanium 900ml evernew pot, and a titanium toolspoon, some first aid and other essentials, a full change of clothing, extra clothing based on expected temperature, and electronics such a camera, GPS, 2way radio, and cell phone. Unfortunately my back pack itself is about 5 of the 20 lbs. My next purchase may very well be an GoLite or REI UL backpack.

Oh and my day pack is the REI UL Flash, it only weighs 9oz and is surprisingly comfy.

Scott Card
08-21-2007, 12:43 PM

Note that I said WITHOUT food and water.

FYI my tent is a BlackDiamond LightSabre Bivy, it weighs less than 1.5lbs, my sleeping bag is about 2.5 lbs (and I have yet to have a cold night), then I have a 3/4 length thermarest, an MSR whisperlight stove, a titanium 900ml evernew pot, and a titanium toolspoon, some first aid and other essentials, a full change of clothing, extra clothing based on expected temperature, and electronics such a camera, GPS, 2way radio, and cell phone. Unfortunately my back pack itself is about 5 of the 20 lbs. My next purchase may very well be an GoLite or REI UL backpack.

Oh and my day pack is the REI UL Flash, it only weighs 9oz and is surprisingly comfy.

Yes, but did you cut the handle off your toothbrush? :haha:

caverspencer
08-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Yes, but did you cut the handle off your toothbrush? :haha:

No but I took off un needed buckels and tags.... does that count? :ne_nau:

Supplies like Sunscreen, Hydrocortisine and Icyhot I put in little tiny bottles....

Seriously though, the three places you can save weight fast is 1- tent, 2- sleeping bag and pad, 3- pack itself. Who cares about the 1/2 oz the toothbrush handle weighs...

Scott Card
08-21-2007, 12:55 PM
Seriously though, the three places you can save weight fast is 1- tent, 2- sleeping bag and pad, 3- pack itself. Who cares about the 1/2 oz the toothbrush handle weighs...

Agree. Of Course, I am not one to talk. I packed in a griddle into Kolob Canyon just so I could have my pancakes and bacon for the long hike out Kolob Canyon and the Narrows.

CarpeyBiggs
08-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Agree. Of Course, I am not one to talk. I packed in a griddle into Kolob Canyon just so I could have my pancakes and bacon for the long hike out Kolob Canyon and the Narrows.

Wow, Scott! When do I get to do a trip with you man? I'll carry the ropes if you carry the griddle.

Scott Card
08-21-2007, 01:34 PM

Wow, Scott! When do I get to do a trip with you man? I'll carry the ropes if you carry the griddle.

Hey, I left the dutch oven in the car. If you go to Freeze fest, you'll see the dutch oven crowd (of which I am a part) at its finest.

RedRoxx
08-21-2007, 06:52 PM
I was at 32 lbs with water for a 66 miles in the Gila Wilderness. I was out 7 days had enough food for 9 days.
Bivy
Sil tarp
one titanium cook pot
all freeze dry type food
WM Ultralight down bag
one set thin capilene thermals
Rain gear
Aqua Mira for water treatment

A few sundries-- my pack is an Osprey Expedition series. Large vol, weighed in about 3lbs empty.

fouristhenewone
08-21-2007, 10:36 PM
seems to get a lot harder to pack light when you've got the wife along. I can't imagine packin with the kids...thank god I've only got dogs....

denaliguide
08-27-2007, 09:31 PM
24 pounds seem good to me. when i go light my base pack is around 10 pounds plus food and water. i don't carry a stove so all my food is non-cook. i did a 8 day trip in escalante and my pack never weighed over 35 lbs. most was water. i had several dry camps so i carried a 6 liter dromeday and a 100 oz. camelback.

rlm
08-29-2007, 08:22 PM
I just got back from Kings peak, and several of our hikers were tarping, vs tenting. weight must be the only issue here, but if i'm going alone my tent with rainfly is only 4 lbs, with another person we split that at 2 lbs each. is a tarp really that much lighter? what about bad weather with a tarp? so many questions, trying to figure it out seems to be a conundrum wrapped in an enigma?
r

rlm
08-29-2007, 08:25 PM
I just got back from Kings peak, and several of our hikers were tarping, vs tenting. weight must be the only issue here, but if i'm going alone my tent with rainfly is only 4 lbs, with another person we split that at 2 lbs each. is a tarp really that much lighter? what about bad weather with a tarp? so many questions, trying to figure it out seems to be a conundrum wrapped in an enigma?
r

denaliguide
08-29-2007, 09:07 PM
i have a silicone impregnated t arp that's 10' x 12' and weighs 1 1/2 lbs. with the proper pitch i have set out some major downpours. its light and very versatile. plenty of room for 3 campers.

Cirrus2000
08-29-2007, 09:26 PM
i have a silicone impregnated t arp that's 10' x 12' and weighs 1 1/2 lbs. with the proper pitch i have set out some major downpours. its light and very versatile. plenty of room for 3 campers.

Unfortunately, I happened to be right at the edge of the covered area during a surprise thunder/hail storm one night near Hans Flat - got a little wet, and frozen/cramped hands holding the edge of the tarp down!

I should have just woken you up and made you shove over. Or moved around to the lee side of the tarp...

Anyway, it was a great tarp, and I was so impressed that I went out and bought one myself; not the same one - a little smaller at about 7' x 10' and a little under a pound. Haven't used it yet in the field, but looking forward to it...

Up until now, I've used an Integral Designs Unishelter Bivy, at 2.5 pounds. I use it a lot in rain, snow and other assorted BC weather, so the extra weight is worthwhile to me - I really like its bombproofiness (real word?).

denaliguide
08-29-2007, 09:58 PM

Unfortunately, I happened to be right at the edge of the covered area during a surprise thunder/hail storm one night near Hans Flat - got a little wet, and frozen/cramped hands holding the edge of the tarp down!

I should have just woken you up and made you shove over. Or moved around to the lee side of the tarp...

that was a blustery night, for sure. lol. i recall snow on the ground that morning.

caverspencer
08-30-2007, 10:06 AM
r

I use a balck diamond light sabre bivy. its about 1.5 lbs and very very small in the pack. It kept me bone dry and it rained on us off and on the entire time we were up there.

rlm
08-30-2007, 06:50 PM
in a tarp what keeps the ground water from getting your bag wet? in a downpour?
and do you go claustraphobic in a bivy sack?