PDA

View Full Version : Gaitors?

UTJetdog
08-18-2007, 08:03 AM
The talk about gaiters on another thread has me wondering... What brand/model gaiters do you like for hiking/backpacking? Do you prefer breathable or non-breathable fabric for 3 season high mountain back country travel?

Thanks,

J

benlittle
08-18-2007, 08:58 AM
The talk about gaitors on another thread has me wondering... What brand/model gaitors do you like for hiking/backpacking? Do you prefer breathable or non-breathable fabric for 3 season high mountain backcountry travel?

Thanks,

J

I wear full black diamond gaiters in the winter and low REI gaiters in the summer.

Always breathable. I don't even think there are non breathable made :mrgreen:

paraAdams
08-19-2007, 04:33 PM
I have a pair of full length gaitors that I bought at Kirkahm's a couple years ago. I only use them in the winter.

I still can't understand why you want/need them for the summer.
:ne_nau: I guess I don't mind getting a little wet and/or muddy...

But I was told that question is stupid. I guess there are no stupid questions, just stupid people who ask questions. :nono:

stefan
08-19-2007, 05:36 PM
okay, this is kinda fun, thinking about various uses of gaiters.

i'll try some more, for fun ...

do you mind bushwacking through super scrapey brush? (for example scrub oak that grows all over the foothills of utah), gaiters or pants+gaiters comes in pretty useful.

if you have full leather boots, then dirt, mud and sand is bad for all leather but very bad for the leather on the inside of you boot. and it increases the rate of deterioration of the leather. even the outer leather should regularly be cleaned. synthetics are different, of course, but it still gets grimy, which i guess you wouldn't mind.

if you're walking through wet brush, it blocks water from seeping down straight into your boot, same with rain. if you're walking all day long in the wet brush on a rainy day or just after it has rained, you might get a bit more than a little wet. one moment, randomly, popping into my mind was passing through long stretches of thick fields of water-laden wildflowers after a rainstorm in wrangel-st. elias nat'l park, alaska. too warm to need to wear pants, but unnecessary to get the insides of boots/socks completely soaked with dripping water.

on rainy days, it can also serve to protect raingear if walking in lowlying thick brush.

when i used to use full-leather, 3/4-shank boots (raichle palue sa) i found that it was somewhat easy for little rocks to slip in along side my boot which i then proceeded to be annoyingly bothersome to step on. gaiters eliminated this problem for me.

keeps endless burrs off your socks, shoelaces ...

um, i gaiters can additionally provide a block against ticks when walking in such areas ...

there are many more uses beyond these and those in my original post, of course, but ...

i guess the question is, do you really not understand or do you just not see why you, yourself, might be interested?

benlittle
08-20-2007, 08:53 AM
Also, what's with the Gators? Do they help with mud, rattlers or something else? I only wear gators in the snow. Just wondering...

I think I'm going to refer back to my original answer for this.

They are low gators. If you don't know... I can't tell you :ne_nau:

I personally don't like scree in my boots for 5+ days. I don't like picking stickers out of my socks either.

How about you try some low gaiters and then report back. If you still don't understand :nono:

gonzo
08-20-2007, 12:18 PM
For trail running I use a pair of Dirty Girls. They're made of a four-way stretch material (kinda like Spandex) and have an elastic "waistband" than fits around your ankle, and then velcros to the back of the shoe. It's super lightweight, breathable, and they look badass.

http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/

They're hard to see in this picture, but I'm wearing a pair here:
http://flickr.com/photos/kris247/284731954/

stefan
08-20-2007, 06:08 PM
Also, what's with the Gators? Do they help with mud, rattlers or something else? I only wear gators in the snow. Just wondering...

I think I'm going to refer back to my original answer for this.

They are low gators. If you don't know... I can't tell you :ne_nau:

:lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

paraAdams
08-27-2007, 09:57 PM
I totally understand the reasons why a hiker/backpacker would use gaiters/gaitors now.

I just got back from the Uinta's and almost bought myself some before the trip. But I look like a dork as it is, and didn't want to add to the nerdiness.
Plus the color sort of clashed with my pocket protector. :naughty:

Seriously, I think they look a little nerdy! But I can see their usefullness. I guess I just need to try them and report back.... :ne_nau:

benlittle
08-30-2007, 08:42 PM
I guess if you don't want to look nerdy or dorky you can see if they (http://www.expressfashion.com/styles/mens.jsp) will make you some super cool looking uber sexual ones :2thumbs: