PDA

View Full Version : Because you all have such great ideas...

TreeHugger
08-17-2007, 09:32 AM
I posted in the mountain biking forum for ideas for a multi-day bike trip for kids and go EXCELLENT suggestions!

SO, I'll post for some backpacking ideas as well!!

WE will have a group of 40 7th graders. The idea is to get in the same general area and split them up into smaller groups. Possible have a "base camp" where the boys will stay two day, while the girls go out and do an overnight packing trip, then switch. Or, have them all go out in different directions or crossing paths, for 3 days, 2 night. I know, it's complicated. We took them to Logan Canyon last spring and it worked out great. We're thinking right now of possibly Escalante area (Calf Creek Falls area, maybe) or Payson Lakes area.

Any thoughts?

stefan
08-17-2007, 10:04 AM
how about half-baked thoughts ...

if you're thinking about escalante ...

i might suggest doing the hells backbone road out of boulder. there is a camp on the road called blue spruce. this is right at pine creek (the box) which would be an excellent place to hike [high-elevation, deserty box canyon in a small wilderness area, with frequent wading across the creek]. off of the hellsbackbone road is the road towards posy lake, which breaks to the west towards North Creek and another camp called Barker (never been). this road can be ridden down towards highway 12, where another route continues up main canyon towards "twin trees" camp. could ride this road up into the escalante mountains too.

also the burr trail road (east out of boulder) is a spectacular road, in particular, through long canyon and just out beyond the circle cliffs where it becomes dirt. beyond that it's more submerged in the pi

TreeHugger
08-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Stefan,

We are looking for a place that is kind of central to hike out of (backpack) in different directions/areas. It sounds like you are describing great roads to ride on?

Thanks for the great ideas, this is an area I'm not familiar with and worth looking into for possible routes. It will be in the fall.

Actually, I just looked at the links, and we may be able to work with that area. Amy (our adventure coordinator) is familiar with that area.

Peace,
Tree.

Scott Card
08-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Is it necessary that your your central location to hike from be at the car or are you going to hike into a location and then split up from there? I don't know the regulations for that size group in the Uintahs but Granddaddy lakes area would be primo for this sort of thing. I did this several years ago with a group of about 40. But rumor is there are group size limits in the Uintahs now???? Payson Lakes is fun. I assume they are now all open. If memory serves me correctly, one or two campgrounds were closed due to bear issues. How far do you want the hikes to be? Taking kids out is such a blast (to others it is hell). Several areas in Fairview Canyon area ie lakes to go to.

good luck

Former 5th Grade Camp Counselor for three summers.

stefan
08-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Stefan,

We are looking for a place that is kind of central to hike out of (backpack) in different directions/areas. It sounds like you are describing great roads to ride on?

Thanks for the great ideas, this is an area I'm not familiar with and worth looking into for possible routes. It will be in the fall.

Actually, I just looked at the links, and we may be able to work with that area. Amy (our adventure coordinator) is familiar with that area.

Peace,
Tree.

um ... yeah. oops. i should have posted it on the thread for mtnbkn

i'll throw it over there.

as far as backpacking goes ... hmm ... escalante has a ton of canyons all concentrated. there would be many choices depending on location. you could easily do various canyons from the burr trail road or the hole-in-the-rock road. A researching a few different books can give you lots of information on Escalante canyons.

stefan
08-17-2007, 12:27 PM
there are limits on the size of the groups you can take, and it's for the good of the land.

Scott Card
08-17-2007, 12:31 PM
Yah, that is what I thought. I know the Granddaddy lakes area is a high traffic area and I thought I remembered there were limits imposed in the last several years. Now where is that land that is for the good of the group? Hmmm.

stefan
08-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Yah, that is what I thought. I know the Granddaddy lakes area is a high traffic area and I thought I remembered there were limits imposed in the last several years. Now where is that land that is for the good of the group? Hmmm.

cities? :lol8:

TreeHugger
08-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Is it necessary that your your central location to hike from be at the car or are you going to hike into a location and then split up from there? I don't know the regulations for that size group in the Uintahs but Granddaddy lakes area would be primo for this sort of thing. I did this several years ago with a group of about 40. But rumor is there are group size limits in the Uintahs now???? Payson Lakes is fun. I assume they are now all open. If memory serves me correctly, one or two campgrounds were closed due to bear issues. How far do you want the hikes to be? Taking kids out is such a blast (to others it is hell). Several areas in Fairview Canyon area ie lakes to go to.

good luck

Former 5th Grade Camp Counselor for three summers.

Well, when we took them last year, they did only 6 miles total (!), 3 miles a day, and that was kind of hard. So, 3-4 miles a day tops. It will be some of their first time backpacking.

They will go out and be in groups of 12.

The advantage to having a central location is to have vehicles relatively close for emergencies. We can split the group of 40 up to two groups of twenty and start in different locations as well, the boys and girls dont have to be near each other.

I think Grandaddy Basin will be too cold in October (?).

Once again, thanks for all your ideas. We have some swirling around but the more the better, it's really helpful to hear your suggestions.

Scott Card
08-17-2007, 02:05 PM
I must have missed the October time frame. Forget the alpine thing. Payson Lakes would probably be too cold also if it is after the 15th or so. I'll scratch my head and see if I can think of anywere else for that size of group.