PDA

View Full Version : fishing with kids...?

marc olivares
08-17-2007, 09:24 AM
any suggestions on places to fish with kids where they will be GUARANTEED to catch a fish?

rockgremlin
08-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Fish Lake at dusk from the shore. Use worms. Worked for my oldest -- he caught his first that way.

Good luck! :2thumbs:

Alex
08-17-2007, 10:53 AM
Marc, I took my kid to Jordanelle, but it depends on the time of the year, sometimes there is fish all the time and sometimes not at all. There is also a little pond on 101st south and 7th east I believe. It's a tiny little in city pond and the fish is pretty small (cat and bluegill), but the kids will catch a lot of them. I can get you the exact address if you like.

Scott Card
08-17-2007, 01:46 PM
Butterfly Lake off the highway past Mirror Lake. I have never been skunked there. Powerbait (color depends on the day) and a clear bubble filled all the way is the ticket, or at least was when I last fished (pre canyoneering days).

I appreciate this thread because I just got 4 fishing poles for my kids and I plan to go to Butterfly in September. If you don't go there, I will let you know how good my suggestion is when I do.

LOAH
08-18-2007, 02:26 PM
I don't think it's legal to use kids as bait. :nono:

:lol8:

marc olivares
08-18-2007, 04:34 PM
I don't think it's legal to use kids as bait. :nono:

:lol8:

you obviously dont know my kids.

thanks all for the suggestions.

i guess what i'm looking for is something super close to the SLC
and some where that's a "sure" thing. like a fish farm or similar.

others suggestions are appreciated
i'm trying to stack the odds in my favor so my little ADD brats have a good time and dont "hate" fishing. :haha:

JP
08-19-2007, 07:29 AM
I've always found fishing in streams and rivers were the easiest when it came to fishing. They basically can be read like a book and in most cases they will tell you where the fish are. Ponds and lakes, especially fishing from shore, can be tough. But, with kids, a worm, rod and reel the ponds can be good for crappy fishing. They're not much, but for a kid, it's a fish. Head in to your local bait and tackle shop and ask, just like you did in here and I'm willing to bet they'll know exactly what you're looking for.
I have three other siblings, an older brother and two younger sisters. My father, like you, brought us fishing. (I thank him to this day for that opportunity he gave me) I am the only one that got hooked on fishing and still am 38 years later. He has since passed, but when I'm standing in a river, reeling in a fish or just casting away, there is not a time that passes by that I don't think of him. And again, I still thank him to this day.
Hopefully they all get hooked on fishing, but if one does, it's still a great thing :2thumbs:

CarpeyBiggs
08-19-2007, 09:38 AM
Best place for kids is the pond at Vivian Park right up the Provo river. Adults can't fish, except to help the kids, but you will catch fish like crazy. You can tie cheese to the line with no hook and still catch them....

marc olivares
08-19-2007, 10:45 AM
that's exactly what i was looking for, thanks Dan! :2thumbs:

rockgremlin
09-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Is the Herriman Pond still open? It just opened back in May, but I hear it's good for kids too. The DWR stocks it with trout and catfish amongst other species...

ANyone here fished there before? ANy luck? :ne_nau:

Jaxx
09-10-2007, 01:31 PM
Best place for kids is the pond at Vivian Park right up the Provo river. Adults can't fish, except to help the kids, but you will catch fish like crazy. You can tie cheese to the line with no hook and still catch them....

That's exactly what I was going to say. Velveeta cheese always worked awesome for me. I haven't been there for a while. It is super crowded so get there early.

orvis1
09-10-2007, 01:42 PM
If you fish a night crawler below a worm or just a worm with no weights fished on the bottom at the riverton pond you will get some fish. White bass, trout, catfish, or bluegill. The city has a kids fishing program every spring and fall that I volenteer at a great place for kids to catch some fish and learn fishing. PM me and I can give you more details.

Iceaxe
09-10-2007, 02:51 PM
What about the new pond in Murray just off I-215 and the Jordan River?

Scott Card
09-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Just took my four kids fishing in the Uintahs last Friday evening and Saturday morning. Man was it beautiful (but I digress) Fishing was excellent at Trial Lake. My kids caught 16-18 fish in about 2.5 hours and we kept 8 for dinner. Power bait and a filled bubble was again the ticket. I didn't fish. I was tying on hooks and baiting hooks and pulling fish off all morning. In fact I didn't even take a pole knowing that I would be helping them the whole time. :2thumbs: