PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report 5 Days......Red Castle

benlittle
08-15-2007, 08:24 PM
So I went backpacking.

Epic trip. :cool2:

Red Castle, high Uintas.

Drive like you're going to Kings and instead of going left to Henry's Fork, keep going straight about 10 miles.

13 miles in to upper Red Castle lake which is where we went.

Epic fishing.

We saw probably two dozen moose. Big bastards :hail2thechief:

Sombeech
08-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Looks very cool. How was the fishing?

benlittle
08-15-2007, 08:40 PM

It was awesome. A little slow at first but then the clouds set in and all was well :mrgreen:

I was using a black and red spinner. My brother was catching them on black beatle flies.

UTJetdog
08-16-2007, 07:51 AM
Great pics!

stefan
08-16-2007, 08:14 AM
sweetness :2thumbs:

i DO love that area. thanks for sharin', looks like ya'll had a good time.

ps. i dig that approach view of RC, tiny in the distance, at first, and grows immense when you finally reach it, the experience heightened after walking miles in the forest/meadows. mighty purdy mountain, i must say.

KillEmAll
08-16-2007, 08:45 AM
Nice pics man! And the photos of the fish frying is killing me! Ugh, I gotta get out and have myself a fish fry.

:2thumbs:

MY T PIMP
08-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Great TR :2thumbs:

accadacca
08-16-2007, 09:04 AM
Sweeeeetness!!! What a Trip!

We Salute You!! :guitar:

marc olivares
08-16-2007, 10:40 AM
awesome Benny! :2thumbs:

looks like fun

nosivad_bor
08-16-2007, 11:48 AM
that trip would have been better in a range rover classic :D

Sweet Picts!

benlittle
08-16-2007, 11:55 AM
Yea, it was a fun trip.

As always I packed too much food. Hell I probably ended up eating 3500-4000 calories every day :2thumbs:

ericchile
08-16-2007, 12:28 PM
Was that an open fire? When is an open fire ok?

Scott Card
08-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Was that an open fire? When is an open fire ok? Open fires are only ok when there are fresh fish involved. (This is not a legal opinion and I will deny it when you are getting cited)

benlittle
08-16-2007, 02:51 PM
Was that an open fire? When is an open fire ok?

Yes. We checked with the Ranger station beforehand. They said there wern't any restrictions in that area at that elevation.

paraAdams
08-16-2007, 05:57 PM

It was awesome. A little slow at first but then the clouds set in and all was well :mrgreen:

I was using a black and red spinner. My brother was catching them on black beatle flies.

Were you near Lake Blanchard? Cliff Lake?

Also, what's with the Gators? Do they help with mud, rattlers or something else? I only wear gators in the snow. Just wondering...

Your pictures were awesome! :2thumbs: We're heading up that way late next week.

benlittle
08-16-2007, 06:22 PM

Were you near Lake Blanchard? Cliff Lake?

Also, what's with the Gators? Do they help with mud, rattlers or something else? I only wear gators in the snow. Just wondering...

Your pictures were awesome! :2thumbs: We're heading up that way late next week.

No.

They are low gators. If you don't know... I can't tell you :ne_nau:

stefan
08-16-2007, 07:27 PM

i find that gators, or more correctly, gaiters have a lot of uses in the outdoors. certainly they are helpful in the snow, especially when post-holing without snowshoes, or walking/ski touring in powder snow. but they are also quite useful hiking and backpacking. they block small rocks from getting into boots, if a problem. they protect your skin/snagging clothing/shoelaces when walking in thick brush. they can block sand, dirt, and mud ...

benlittle
08-17-2007, 07:50 AM

i find that gators, or more correctly, gaiters have a lot of uses in the outdoors. certainly they are helpful in the snow, especially when post-holing without snowshoes, or walking/ski touring in powder snow. but they are also quite useful hiking and backpacking. they block small rocks from getting into boots, if a problem. they protect your skin/snagging clothing/shoelaces when walking in thick brush. they can block sand, dirt, and mud ...

:2thumbs:

Thanks for the spelling correction too.

tapehoser
08-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Fires are OK as long as you are east of the Highline Trail (or Mirror Lake). I found out when I called the Kamas Ranger's office yesterday.

So, was that 13 miles IN and 13 miles OUT?

benlittle
08-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Fires are OK as long as you are east of the Highline Trail (or Mirror Lake). I found out when I called the Kamas Ranger's office yesterday.

So, was that 13 miles IN and 13 miles OUT?

Yea, 13 in and 13 out + probably 10 or so average during the trip.

rooster32
08-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Very cool...

We are heading up there Thursday and coming back Monday. How cool did it get at night?

Thanks!

benlittle
08-20-2007, 08:35 AM
Very cool...

We are heading up there Thursday and coming back Monday. How cool did it get at night?

Thanks!

I think it got into the 50's. I had my 32 degree bag and I had it unzipped fully every night.

brookiekiller
08-21-2007, 10:10 AM
I havn't heard of too many great fishing trips up Red Castle, so you must know where and how to fish it.

Did you ever fish the Smith's Fork Lake or East Red Castle Lake? I will be coming from the Garfield Drainage over Smiths Fork Pass and was wondering how the fishing is as I know it is slow at Lower Red Castle.

benlittle
08-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Well I am an expert fisherman :roflol:

This was my first trip to Red Castle. My brother who I'm in a lot of the pics with, has been there several times and always raves about the fishing. I don't believe he's ever fished lower and I think I recall him saying he got skunked at East.

Upper was really slow at first though. We caught on the most random spinners. I'll have to get the pics of the cutties my bro caught.