PDA

View Full Version : kings peak hike

rlm
08-11-2007, 10:50 AM
I am leaving for kings peak in a week, doing a 4 day hike in and out from henrys fork, does anyone know about a natural spring near gunsight pass? that I could make my second night camp?
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
ps
what should I expect for weather this time of year? lots of rain and snow?
thanks again :bueller: :roll:

accadacca
08-11-2007, 09:27 PM
I am sure you'll get some answers soon.

I have not been up Kings for a couple years. I usually setup a base camp at Dollar Lake. Fill my camelbak their and hit the peak early in the morning. Then either go back to Dollar grab my stuff and hike out or stay another night at Dollar. There are a couple small ponds and a stream on the way to gunsight, but nothing on top. Weather should be perfect this time of year.

You'll find a couple reports in the UTAH HIGH POINTING INDEX: http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2109

Mtnman1830
08-12-2007, 05:51 AM
I did King's and Gilbert the end of August last year, and the weather was perfect. We did get the afternoon storms, with a bit of snow, but it didn't last long.

TR and Pics here
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3364

and here
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3325

There is a group of Geocachers that would be happy to have another person come along.
More info here
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=961d90a3-9bcd-419f-9a3c-caa9af8f311e

Hope this will help.

rlm
08-12-2007, 07:17 AM
has anyone heard of the spring near anderson pass?
apparently there is a natural spring there that I plan on making our camp?
any ideas
thanks

paraAdams
08-12-2007, 11:03 AM
I've been up there many times, and this is with out a doubt THE time of year to go. You will get some rain so bring a poncho and/or a jacket.

As far as the spring goes, I've seen one up there. But it's very, very small. It would take forever to fill a camelbak.

There's no reason, that I can think of, to plan on camping near that spring. I would camp at dollar lake or even Henry's fork lake. There's many cool areas. But the area near the spring is just an open brushy area. No real trees nearby.

My advice: camp at Dollar. Search for the spring, but don't worry if you can't find it. :mrgreen:

madsjim
08-12-2007, 05:51 PM
I camped once at the last grove of pine trees before the Anderson Pass chute. There was not a single person out there and we found a nice pond to filter water out of. It is a great alternative to the heavily used and crowded Dollar Lake.

To get there cut across to the middle of the basin as if you were heading to the chute, but don't go so far south. Try to find the last stand of trees in the basin and you should find it. Also Google Earth is helpful in getting GPS coordinates.

This spot allows you to be near the chute, which is great for going up and cutting off having to go to Gunsight. I would not go down it though, it is more destructive. Just a suggestion but you may want to do Gilbert which would be easier from Dollar.

rlm
08-12-2007, 08:10 PM
are you saying that it is ok to go up the chute, but don't go down it?
r

caverspencer
08-12-2007, 09:31 PM
I will also be in Uintas with 3 others this week. We are hiking up to Dollar lake Thursday where we will set up a base camp, Friday is a day hike to Gilbert and West Gunsight, Saturday is a day hike to Kings and we will either hike down Saturday afternoon or Sunday morning.

What all do you have on your agenda? Would you like to team up?

Rain is definitely in the forecast and if didn't have 3 other people who have already taken time off of work I would reschedule.

rlm
08-12-2007, 09:34 PM
we leave from henrys fork, and go down to elkhorn crossing across to bear lake the first night,
second night we will sleep in painters basin somewhere
third day attack the peak, and set up camp at dollar lake
fourth day out.
we plan on fishing all the way down to the peak, which is why we are going down the bear lake trail side.

rlm
08-12-2007, 09:36 PM
my next question is about food,
I have gotten my base pack weight to aprox 18 lbs but am trying to keep the food weight down as well, but still get a good supply of calories and taste. without all the weight,
are there any good websites with recepies for a guy without a dehydrator?

caverspencer
08-12-2007, 09:51 PM
my next question is about food,
I have gotten my base pack weight to aprox 18 lbs but am trying to keep the food weight down as well, but still get a good supply of calories and taste. without all the weight,
are there any good websites with recepies for a guy without a dehydrator?

I dont do the dehydrator either. What I do is go to the grocery store and head to the rice a roni and pastaroni section. I look for anything I can just add boiled water to. Some of the things call for 1 1/2 cups water and 1/2 milk. IF I am concerned about the 1/2 milk I will add enough powdered milk to the bag to make the 1/2 cup. and I just ignore the tablespoon of butter. lately though I have been ignoring the 1/2 milk too and just using straight water.

For my trip this week I have a couple of Mountain House meals and about 4 bags of Pastaroni. Plus an assortment of jerky, trail mix, and bars. I usually trough in a handful of hard candy of some sort as a reward too.

While we are on the subject though I would be interested in hearing peoples version of calories to weight ratios, and what they look for that is quick and easy, etc.. For example a bag of pasta roni is about 5oz include packaging and has about 550 calories. It doesn't seem like much, and all I eat for dinner is two of these, and maybe an orange or cup of hot cocoa. I doubt the assortment of other food I eat during the day adds up to 2000 calories. so i am probably calorie deficient.