PDA

View Full Version : Most Memorable Vacation Moment?

Iceaxe
08-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Vacations are supposed to be events you remember the rest of your life. What is one of your favorite or most memorable vacation moments?

:kickit:

Jaxx
08-09-2007, 04:12 PM
There are alot of cool memories but I think my favorite is just chilling around the campfire with my girls falling asleep in my lap and chatting it up with whoever is there.

Here is a crappy memory since my good one was boring.

This year I took my family down to Arches NP in early April, it was really cold at night. We have a tent trailer. We get there at about 6 pm. I miss the sign that says "campground full" and drive all the way to the devils garden cg just to find it full. We drive on the highway past the river and its all full. We check out sand flats, full. We are driving to a lake that I forget the name of and I get pulled over and given a speeding ticket. So I get annoyed because it is like 9:30 pm and say f this lets get a hotel for tonight. All the hotels in moab were booked. I stopped at every stinking hotel and they were all full. So we decide to drive out to the lake cg and see whats there. I dont get pulled over this time but the cg is full. So I go park in a gravel parking lot area and make a bed for my kids and the dog in the back and me and my wife slept in our seats. It was the most miserably cold/uncomfortable nights sleep. The reason I didn't pop up the tent trailer is because we wanted to get to the visitors center in Arches at 5:30 to get a campsite. We did make it there at about 5:45 AM and I was #5 and there were only 6 spots left. I now hate the city of Moab. This is the second time I have been screwed by Moab.

accadacca
08-09-2007, 05:35 PM
One of my earliest vacation memories was getting a Mickey Mouse shirt at Disneyland when I was 6. :ne_nau: :haha:

Alex
08-09-2007, 07:55 PM
There are alot of cool memories but I think my favorite is just chilling around the campfire with my girls falling asleep in my lap and chatting it up with whoever is there.

Here is a crappy memory since my good one was boring.

This year I took my family down to Arches NP in early April, it was really cold at night. We have a tent trailer. We get there at about 6 pm. I miss the sign that says "campground full" and drive all the way to the devils garden cg just to find it full. We drive on the highway past the river and its all full. We check out sand flats, full. We are driving to a lake that I forget the name of and I get pulled over and given a speeding ticket. So I get annoyed because it is like 9:30 pm and say f this lets get a hotel for tonight. All the hotels in moab were booked. I stopped at every stinking hotel and they were all full. So we decide to drive out to the lake cg and see whats there. I dont get pulled over this time but the cg is full. So I go park in a gravel parking lot area and make a bed for my kids and the dog in the back and me and my wife slept in our seats. It was the most miserably cold/uncomfortable nights sleep. The reason I didn't pop up the tent trailer is because we wanted to get to the visitors center in Arches at 5:30 to get a campsite. We did make it there at about 5:45 AM and I was #5 and there were only 6 spots left. I now hate the city of Moab. This is the second time I have been screwed by Moab.

Ouch Jaxx! That sucks man, similiar thing happened to me and Ice when we went down there. We got so frustrated that we found the coolest little spot along hwy191 in the middle of the night that I will just go straight there from now. There are a couple of roads leading east from hwy191 towards the Arches in the horizon. There are a lot of cool spots to stop for the night and camp. Obviously it's all bandit camping, but free and off the road and also quite pretty. I think it beats the camping along the Colorado river.

Back to the topic, my favorite memory for the vacation is actually split. First memory is the first time my mom took me to Black Sea in Russia and the first time seeing the water, still remember it as it was yesterday. Another memory is me spending the whole day in a tide pool with my son. It was just us on the beach with no one around, the water was perfect, the weather was perfect and the company was the best I could ask for.

sparker1
08-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Not a moment, but an entire 6 week vacation. It was 1979, we had planned our first trip out west for 2 years and I skipped vacation one year to have enough time. Our boys were 13 and 11 and had always been a pain on previous trips. Well, we drug our little camping trailer 10,000 miles through 25 states and learned how wonderful it is in places like Utah and Wyoming. The kids were exposed to more geography than school ever gave them, and a lot of history too. The best part: our boys behaved beautifully the whole trip, helped with all the chores and never caused a problem. I began to see some hope for them. :lol8:

donny h
08-09-2007, 10:18 PM
I spent a month backpacking around Hawaii, that was fun, but two weeks of that were spent hiking the Kalalau Trail around the Na Poli Coast on north shore Kauai, and every single day of that two weeks was just awesome.

From catching prawns in the creek, to picking wild coffee and roasting it over a fire and grinding it with a rock (best coffee ever), from my best day ever of bodysurfing in powerful waves on the nicest beach you could imagine, to swimming with the turtles and seeing whales jump out of the water, from watching the sunset every day, to bathing in waterfalls, from stumbling across wild cherry tomatoes and lemons, to enjoying trail picked guava and bananas, and lazing on the beach smoking da kine with the purtiest nekkid hippy girls I ever saw...

Epic.

greyhair biker
08-09-2007, 10:55 PM
I have to say that my favorite vacation memories are of Hawaii as well. When I stepped off the plane the last time on Maui and felt so happy to be back - to smell the tropical breeze - the sun on my face - the scent of ocean all around...I felt like crying....yeah, I'd say that I'm in love with the islands! Nothing beats the feel of sand between your toes, and the first jump into the surf as you go out to catch a wave! HEAVEN!

donny h
08-09-2007, 11:05 PM
When I stepped off the plane the last time on Maui and felt so happy to be back - to smell the tropical breeze

Oh my, that Hawaii air hitting you in the face, it's amazing, that smell is like nothing I've ever experienced, I'd swear things even seem to look different in that air, and it's really neat how time slows down, quite a feat, that.

JP
08-10-2007, 05:58 AM
You guys have one great State :2thumbs:

jumar
08-10-2007, 06:32 AM
I have so many it's hard to pick just one. But one of the most memorable was diving the Blue Hole in Belize. It's a huge 400 foot pit. We dove down to about 130 feet, swam through some huge slatactites, all while dozens of bull sharks swam around us. It was only my second time diving outside of Utah, and WOW!

Rev. Coyote
08-10-2007, 08:09 AM
1988, my first trip West. My wife, a geologist friend, and I rolled into Utah through Mexican Hat, the Moki Dugway, etc., and ended the day camped in the La Sals. The following morning, we scaled one of the summits (Peale or Tuk I believe), and I knew I was home. Nowhere else does it for me like Southeast Utah.

gonzo
08-10-2007, 08:27 AM
One of my earliest vacation memories was getting a Mickey Mouse shirt at Disneyland when I was 6.

One of my earliest vacation memories was going to Disneyland with my parents and little sister. We were walking through FantasyLand when Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum came up to us. I, of course, hugged them and had my picture taken, and then just as they were leaving one of those Tweedles snatched my fudge brownie off the top of my sister's stroller! When they brought it back a few minutes later a big bite had been taken off the corner. To this day I still loathe those two.

MY T PIMP
08-10-2007, 08:32 AM
It's long but worth reading!

I was driving a 1978 caprice classic grocery getting station wagon full of friends to the Wind River Mountains for a back packing trip in 1993. We wanted to get up to the trail head, sleep, with the few hours of light we had left, and head in on a 12 mile hike. It was the middle of the night, we still had a few miles to drive on a dirt road, and it was fairly hot, so I rolled the rear tailgate window down. I was tearing that road up in that old chev, I bet I was doing 50. I remember I was jammin out to a Scorpions cassette tape, when all of the sudden two pale hands come flying down on my windshield. I let out a scream that would rival a teenage damsel in a 70s horror flick, and slammed the brakes. At this moment I seen what I thought was my good friend Matt Gunderson, fly off the top of my car on to the hood, and continue over the hood. Realizing this, and hoping to keep my friend from road rashing at 50 miles an hour I slammed down on the gas the four barrel carb dumped all its content into the small block 350 to keep Matt hopefully on the hood. It was failed attempt that almost killed him. I remember Matt's hand clasping the rectangular hood ornament in vain as he disappeared over the front of the Late Detroit Mastadon I was driving. I then hit the breaks and as I slowed I could here something thumping the bumper in unison (I though it was my mangled friends body bouncing about) and brought the steel beast to halt in a cloud of dust. Some how by the hand of god I presume Matt survived with just a simple gouge in his hip. He had used tumbling skills from earlier years to simply roll down the road like a fifth wheel.

Never attempt Teen Wolf on anything! :nono: :lol8:

Iceaxe
08-10-2007, 08:53 AM
:popcorn:

stefan
08-10-2007, 08:54 AM
JAYzus ... that's some messed up stuff. how old was this guy?

MY T PIMP
08-10-2007, 09:17 AM
JAYzus ... that's some messed up stuff. how old was this guy?18

R
08-10-2007, 09:47 AM
Mine has to be the first vacation that Abby and I took together. She'd never been out west at all, and the whole time her eyes were as big as dinner plates. We had an amazing time...

http://www.richardbarron.net/highroad/16movie/

-Richard