PDA

View Full Version : Whitetail Deer good or bad for Utah

MY T PIMP
08-03-2007, 07:05 AM
Last night I finished my volunteer hours for the dedicated hunter. I laid a new well pipe line out at Ogden Bay Waterfowl Management area. After I finished I was able to chat for an hour with the director for the area for about an hour.

One of the questions I asked was; if there were any Whitetail deer in Utah yet? He answered yes, and told me there had been sightings in Ogden Bay, and that Morgan has established herd of probably 30 that reside around the water treatment center.

Whitetail are by nature a more aggressive species of deer than Muleys, and have been known to drive them out of areas, such as the Snake river bottoms in Idaho. Never the less there is still a healthy population of both Species statewide.

The real question is "How much will the Whitetail species effect Utah?

http://www.kothmannranchhunting.com/images/deer9.jpg

MY T PIMP
08-03-2007, 07:18 AM
For my opinion; I say yes, but it must be controlled. By saying that areas where the Mule deer are struggling would not be good for Whitetails. Areas where Muleys have a healthy population, and can positively support both species why not? These animals are migrating here naturally. So it's not like they're being artificially introduced. :ne_nau:

DAA
08-03-2007, 07:42 AM
I didn't vote, because I'm really undecided. There is no doubt that an expanding white tail population would be good for hunter opportunity in the state. At the same time, I don't think that expanding white tail populations can be anything but bad for the mule deer, and I like mule deer more than I like white tails. Like you said, historically, when the two species overlap, the mule deer tend to come out on the losing end of any competition for resources. But, white tail can and do utilize habitat that won't support mule deer - getting back to the increased hunter opportunity thing again.

So, I guess I really don't know... Maybe it's nothing to worry about either though. There have been a few white tails in the Northern part of the state for at least 20 years now that I know of, and it doesn't seem like they are expanding much. Or at least not expanding very quickly.

- DAA

Tyler
08-03-2007, 08:20 PM
I am with DAA on this one.

Rev. Coyote
08-06-2007, 12:16 PM
STUPID QUESTION: Are whitetails not native to Utah? If not, how are they getting in? Expansion or introduction?

They are ALL OVER Virginia like flies. But heavens they're tasty!!

ericchile
08-06-2007, 01:25 PM
But heavens they're tasty!!

If this is the only qualification I say we put Salmon in the great Salt Lake. And have them run up the streams that feed up them!!! :haha:

MY T PIMP
08-06-2007, 02:02 PM
STUPID QUESTION: Are whitetails not native to Utah? If not, how are they getting in? Expansion or introduction?

They are ALL OVER Virginia like flies. But heavens they're tasty!!
To answer your question; no they are not native, as I stated in my opinion post, they migrated here naturally. But is the migration truly natural? That is the real question. If man has introduced forage in the state through farming and inhabitation that would draw Whitetails to Utah, than previously available, is that natural expansion?

Stuck N Utah
08-06-2007, 03:30 PM
But heavens they're tasty!!

If this is the only qualification I say we put Salmon in the great Salt Lake. And have them run up the streams that feed up them!!! :haha:

I don't think the salmon would make it in SALT LAKE, however if you don't want whitetails here I'll Help with the eradication process

Remember there's room for all Gods creatures right next to the mashed potatos