PDA

View Full Version : Lovin' this section

Scott Card
08-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Just that. Lovin' this section. I have always loved photography but haven't gone out and purchased the brick digital camera. I have a little point and shoot for my work stuff and slot canyons but one day soon I hope to have a nice digital camera with all the lenses. Nothing like shooting the Subway with a polarizer. I have always been a Canon fan and still have my A1 but haven't lugged it through a canyon for a few years. I may look into the Nikons. Thanks for all the tips and sharing the photos. One day I hope to try out this stuff and contribute more than just crappy trip report photos.

CarpeyBiggs
08-02-2007, 05:09 PM
This is just a little prompting telling you to stay with Canon.... :lol8:

JP
08-02-2007, 05:26 PM
Just that. Lovin' this section.
I cannot agree more :2thumbs:

Alex
08-02-2007, 08:58 PM
Amen to that, I have learned much already from this forum. Can't wait to get down to Zion tomorrow. :nod:

waltny
08-02-2007, 10:56 PM

Make that jump to Nikon, wont be sorry :2thumbs:

Alex
08-02-2007, 11:16 PM

I did and I like the ride so far, but I am a SLR noob :haha: :cool2:

CarpeyBiggs
08-02-2007, 11:45 PM

I did and I like the ride so far, but I am a SLR noob :haha: :cool2:

No sweat guys... We all had to ride big wheels before we got to ride with the big boys... :haha: :haha:

asdf
08-03-2007, 04:18 AM
So ISO over SLR?
Every picture I take is with a point and shoot. My wife wants a cute camera that will fit in her purse but I want to be like carpeybigs when i grow up... what should a noob like self go for? I am still a few months out on a camera, just ordered a new fork for the mtn bike. :2thumbs:

Win
08-03-2007, 05:37 AM
This forum has been a great addition. I've already improved in at least one area.

I'm a Canon fan based on recommendations from a few friends that are pros. I think their lens selection makes DSLRs much more flexible.

My P&Ss are still Olympus.

Win

JP
08-03-2007, 05:47 AM
Check this website out before you buy. They have pretty good prices when it comes to cameras.

B&H PHOTO (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/category/989/Digital_Photography.html)

When it comes to P/S cameras, I like the Olympus ones. They're pretty durable, a plethora of scene selection and the pics are pretty decent.

Here's a nice little one, they come in a few different colors.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/480460.jpg

Write up on it

The Olympus Stylus 760 Digital Camera is a sleek, weatherproof camera that incorporates a high quality 3x zoom lens with a capture resolution of 7.1 megapixels to provide beautiful images. Furthermore, the camera features Dual Image Stabilization, which effectively eliminates camera shake ensuring that photographers can easily record those special moments where fast, spontaneous action is needed.

The Stylus 760 is loaded with features to make shooting easy and fun. BrightCapture Technology provides the ability to make great atmospheric shots, even in situations where very little light is available. Additionally, BrightCapture Technology makes it easier to frame shots, as the image displayed is around four times brighter than on a standard LCD. Twenty-three scene modes are also built into the camera to cover many common shooting situations including Candle, Sports and Underwater modes. Users are therefore ready to take perfect shots with a minimum of fuss and effort. The camera also features internal memory of 18MB plus an xD-Picture Card slot that allows you to expand the memory to over 2GB, providing enough storage capacity for hundreds of images.

Altogether, the Olympus Stylus 760 possesses a style that grabs attention, and the capability of providing excellent images under a broad range of circumstances. The compact dimensions and elegant contours of its weatherproof, metal body make it a pleasure to carry along at any time.

Key Features

7.1 Megapixel Resolution
With a capture resolution of 7.1-megapixels the Stylus 760 delivers superior quality images and larger sized prints without sacrificing detail.

3x Optical Zoom Lens
The high quality 3x optical zoom lens delivers sharp, clear images and brings you closer to the action without taking a step. Adding the 4x digital zoom will let you get even closer with a combined zoom of 15x.

Dual Image Stabilization
Take crisp, clear, blur-free images every time with Olympus' Dual Image Stabilization. This unique capability utilizes a powerful 2-in-1 anti-blur solution, including an optically based. Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization which compensates for camera shake and Digital Image Stabilization which can freeze action by utilizing high ISO sensitivity and fast shutter speeds.

All-Weather Design
The Stylus 760 is sealed and coated to protect it from all types of weather, so you don't have to let a little rain or snow spoil your picture-taking plans (Weatherproof capability complies with the IEC standard publication 529 IPX4)

Superb Image Processor
The TruePic TURBO Image Processor incorporated into the FE-250 produces truer colors and speeds up overall camera performance so you get the best results.

Bright Capture Technology
Bright Capture Technology lets you clearly and brightly preview your shots on the LCD Display and take pictures in low-light situations without a flash.

Easy Shooting Modes
The camera includes 23 built-in scene modes that cover many common shooting situations, providing you with the ability to take perfect shots with the minimum of fuss and effort.

TV-quality Video Recording
The Stylus 760 includes a high quality movie mode that captures VGA resolution video at a rate of 15 fps with sound, so you can use your compact digital still camera to produce superb video clips, and leave the camcorder at home.

2.5" Wide-view LCD Display
The high-resolution LCD features a wide viewing angle of 140-degrees making it easy to frame shots when shooting at an odd angle or sharing pictures with a group of people. Furthermore, the Backlight Boost Button increases the brightness of the LCD for excellent visibility, even in direct sunlight.

Built-in Help Guide
Check out the brief descriptions of each function using the Built-in Help Guide and find the best way to take a picture for any situation.

Simple Connection to Your PC
Quickly download pictures to a computer to view, edit, and email with Simple PC Connect. The Auto-connect, USB mass storage interface and USB 2.0 High speed interface makes it easy and fast.

Direct Printing
Turn pictures on the camera into vibrant pictures in your hands with One-touch Easy Printing. A single cable is all it takes to connect the Stylus 760 camera to a PictBridge compatible printer and print colorful pictures.

And it goes for $193.95 :nod:

Also check with eBay. There is another NY camera store that runs some pretty good packages from time to time. CAMETA CAMERA (http://stores.ebay.com/Cameta-Camera)

Alex
08-03-2007, 05:48 AM
From talking to a lot of pros, it seems like it's all personal preference and long time lens investment if you go Canon or Nikon. I have seen great work done by both. I have tried many Canon cameras and really loved the Canon P&S ones, but once I bought the cheapo Nikon D40, my heart was set on it. Even though I went through Canon Rebel and Rebel XT. D40 is nothing to compare to what Dan shoots with of course. :lol8:

gonzo
08-03-2007, 06:03 AM
When my mother-in-law passed away last year I salvaged an ancient (by my standards) Canon AE1 and A1 from her belongings. I've shot with it a few times, but it's kind of intimidating to use a fully manual camera when you've been brought up on point-and-shoots. One of these days I'll have to get the film developed!

CarpeyBiggs
08-03-2007, 07:44 AM
So ISO over SLR?
Every picture I take is with a point and shoot. My wife wants a cute camera that will fit in her purse but I want to be like carpeybigs when i grow up... what should a noob like self go for? I am still a few months out on a camera, just ordered a new fork for the mtn bike. :2thumbs:

The single most important thing in a camera to get good quality files is...

Signal to Noise Ratio.

The relationship between sensor size, pixel pitch, pixel size, and number of megapixels, is what makes a file clean and pleasant. Don't buy a camera that has tons of megapixels. They are almost worthless on small point and shoots, since the sensors are too small to actually spread those pixels out effectively. My tip: find the camera that gets the best Signal to Noise Ratio.

By all accounts, the best PnS out there right now is the Fuji f series. Whether it be the f31d or f40, they have the best noise handling characteristics. You can get them at Costco for like 200 bucks.

stefan
08-03-2007, 08:43 AM
that's an interesting tidbit, dan