PDA

View Full Version : Whats the safest line through Skull at low water?

rock_ski_cowboy
07-30-2007, 02:24 PM
I ran Westwater probably half a dozen times as a teenager and then my dad had a bad flip that resulted in a close call for one of his passengers, and that was the last time we did westwater. I'm going back next week on my own permit and its all a little fuzzy. I don't think I've ever run it at this low level. Looks to be around 4k. I'm not too worried but I do want to get down upright. What is the SAFEST setup/line through skull at this level? It seems like getting a whole group over to scout is iffy so we've always run it blind and I assume I'll do the same this time. I'll be rowing my girlfriend and future father-in-law down (I know, I know, bad idea... :) ) and would rather they didn't swim.

Thanks,

Ben

Alex
07-30-2007, 03:01 PM
I am uploading the video right now to show you EXACTLY what you are looking for. I just came off WW a week ago at 2900cfs and recorded everything on tape.

Basically you are running it exactly the same way as usual, stick to the right as close to the wall as possible, putting nose towards river right your back facing river left. Then once you start entering the pour off, take 3 strong strokes back and then just watch out for the Razor rock (on your river right). It's actually pretty simple IF you make the right 3 strokes. Last weekend I watched a commercial guide mess up and get sucked into the Skull. Then right after her the commercial paddle boat had no control what so ever and they didn't even bother steering it, slided right on top of Razor rock and bounced off the rock of shock.

As soon as my video is uploaded, I will post a link for you.

One more thing, if you are going as a single boat hook up with someone at Little D and follow them as a convoy, a lot safer that way. Talk to the Ranger at the put in, Rangers run river patrols daily and would happy accompany you down the river.

Or even better, just post an invite here *hint* *hint* :lol8: I am sure me or Steve would gladly show you the way.

Alex
07-30-2007, 03:15 PM
Here is a link:

http://kazkat.com/upload/skull.mov

Alex
07-30-2007, 03:18 PM
Now that I think about it, it's not the Skull you should be worried about, Sock It To me has given me much more of a headache than Skull has. The safer approach on SITM is to take it on the left and ride it onto the other side (river right) to get away from that rock on the left.

The approach on the right of SITM would give you a bigger adrenaline rush, IF you don't flip :lol8:

rock_ski_cowboy
07-31-2007, 08:51 AM
Thanks a ton, Alex! The video was especially helpful.