PDA

View Full Version : first tracks!! and utahskiandsnowboard.com

stefan
07-29-2007, 10:22 PM
i believe marc guido is a recently joined member of our forum here ...

[b]Utah Publisher Launches Online Magazine Dedicated to State

offpiste
08-08-2007, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the new sites.

ericchile
08-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Sounds good... but don't we have enough websites that do the same thing? www.skiutahlocals.com and www.skiutah.com...

I hate it when websites say they are for locals but really cater to the out of towners. For example skiutahlocals has plenty of deals listed; if you want to stay for 4-7 days in a resort hotel and rent a car etc.

Heres a tip...

If you want to ski the bird, wait till BYU sells 2 day passes for 60 each. These things sell on ebay for 80+, which I think is wrong. But its the best deal out there.

stefan
08-09-2007, 09:01 AM
Sounds good... but don't we have enough websites that do the same thing? www.skiutahlocals.com and www.skiutah.com...

that depends. take a look at the sites and see if you can see any differences in the content compared with other utah ski sites. also what each persons is looking for in a site is different is different. some prefer focus on certain areas. there's lots of "ski news" out there, but one can be quite selective about what one focuses on, for example.

so the answer is if these sites have their own niche or do a better job for certain people, then nope ... not enough.

i view the web like evolution. survival of the fittest [or those too stubborn to let go :haha: ]

FirstTracks
10-07-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks for reprinting that press release, Stefan. My apologies that this thread somehow slipped below my radar until now. I've enjoyed UUtah.com for posting trip reports from my summer activities and seeking the collective knowledge of the membership here for backpacking and fishing outings over the summer. I hadn't yet delved far into the ski offerings of these forums, but things look good!

The UtahSkiAndSnowboard.com venture is an experiment, and we'll have to see where it goes. We aren't promoting it heavily so things are starting slowly and will hopefully gain momentum during the winter months. We've been very successful with FirstTracksOnline.com over the past 13 years, but that has a global focus and we decided to narrow it down to a niche local publication in US&S. There's a lot of cross-publication of news stories (i.e., something appearing on FTO that has Utah relevance will be published on US&S), but we're also trying to publish on US&S news that isn't important enough to present to a global audience, but still has interest and relevancy for Utah locals and visitors.

Responding to ericchile, there are admittedly other Utah-specific winter sports websites out there, but I don't believe that they're doing the same thing that we're doing. While we admittedly have set up user forums such as this one here at UUtah.com, our primary focus with US&S (and, for that matter, FTO) is on timely and relevant news and feature content. Regarding the two sites you reference, www.skiutahlocals.com and www.skiutah.com are both owned and operated by Ski Utah, an organization that I do intra-industry contract work for as well, so their efforts are aimed at promoting their member organizations. While we may publish edited versions of many of the press releases that they do, you won't find any of the original content or critical pieces that we include in our offerings.

Thanks for the soapbox,
Marc

ericchile
10-07-2007, 02:30 PM
so their efforts are aimed at promoting their member organizations.

Thanks for the update! Hopefully your site will cater to more of what the local is interested in. I feel those other sites are just a cooperate site with a local name in the url spewing the same marketing garbage that you get from Ski Magazine.

FirstTracks
10-07-2007, 05:07 PM
so their efforts are aimed at promoting their member organizations.

Thanks for the update! Hopefully your site will cater to more of what the local is interested in. I feel those other sites are just a cooperate site with a local name in the url spewing the same marketing garbage that you get from Ski Magazine.

That's the objective.