PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D40

Alex
07-27-2007, 12:22 PM
So I finally settled down on a D40, it's a noob enough camera for me to learn, it's very light (lightest SLR) and easy to use. I enjoy taking pictures with it. It came with a decent 18-55mm kit lens, but now that the pictures are turning out ok I want to upgrade that to 18-200 Nikon lens ($750). Who has had experience with this lens and is it really worth it?

I love the SLR camera, but I am not crazy about carrying/changing all the lenses....

waltny
07-27-2007, 04:44 PM
I would love to have your problem....

The pro's carry two or 3 cameras all set up for the different situations, that would limit your need to change lens. Seriously though, you get a better quality lens when it is targeted for that specific range, and it is a nesseccary evil on the DSLR and film SLR's. Thats not counting the filters extra cards, tripods etc that some people will carry and use.

The best advice if you only want to carry one lens, is to figure out what technique you want to shoot and match the lens. Could end up selling yourself short though.

Alex
07-27-2007, 04:51 PM
Heh that's the problem, I try to shoot everything. A lot of close shots (people) as well as far reach spots (big zoom). I came from a P&S high zoom cameras, so I was spoiled with the reach.

My wife approved the lens already, but I have a very big buyers remorse, so want to make sure I really do need the lens before I dish out that much cash.

waltny
07-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Heh that's the problem, I try to shoot everything. A lot of close shots (people) as well as far reach spots (big zoom). I came from a P&S high zoom cameras, so I was spoiled with the reach.

My wife approved the lens already, but I have a very big buyers remorse, so want to make sure I really do need the lens before I dish out that much cash.
I hear you on that, my Kodak has a 10X zoom which is ~380mm(of course it is less due to small sensor and actual image size) lens which Ill miss out on when I finally switch over

sparker1
08-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Everything is a trade-off. I had a nice P&S with a 10X zoom and other good features. However, the focusing/shooting process is so slow, it's hard to get pictures with any action (kids, wildlife, etc). Plus it had no really wide-angle. Having experience with film SLR's, I knew the cost and effort involved with multiple lenses. However, to get the quality and speed I wanted, I went the SLR route. I don't regret it, but I still get frustrated having the wrong lens on when an opportunity comes along, and hauling all that gear is a pain. All these factors need to be considered before you make the investment.

waltny
09-23-2007, 10:35 PM
I finally got a chance to really take a D40X on a test drive the other day. I found out that my sister in law wanted me to shoot her wedding last min as their photographer fell through. Anyhow I knew I was going to use my father in laws D50(a glorified point in shoot at 6.1MP) and happened to call a buddy from work about something and he had just bought a 40X that morning.Jackpot! I got the thing on my way down to the wedding and he had the 2 AF-S kit lens and I got to say it is one fine little piece of engineering. I love the balance and control featurers on it. The focus got a little hairy as I lost ambient light, but it was over come with multiple shots. Im almost sold on it enough to go plunk down the money for the body and few accessories(already have kit lens). The only down fall I see with it is the fact it doesnt have the AF drive for the higher end lenses and the 3 points of focus. Ill post a few of the nondescript face shots I got here shortly of what I was able to do with it.

You should be coming along nicely with yours by now right?