PDA

View Full Version : Album Running Water

Win
07-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Ok, I think this forum is a great addition. It's neat that we have some terrific photograpers here and now a place to pick their brains.

I just can't seem to get that flowing water look that some of you capture. I'm shooting with good gear I'm just missing something with the settings.

How long an exposure? Use a tripod, totally necessary? Use the timer?

Thanks,
Win

Alex
07-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Win great question, the way Dan explained to me is this:

1. Close the Aperature (as small as possible F22 or something)
2. Make sure you do it at no sun light, the less light the better
3. Set it to either Ap mode and let the camera set the shutter slow enough, or set it to Shutter mode and slow down the camera to 2-3 seconds
4. Also, the ISO helps here too, set it to 100-200 so the shutter would stay open as much as possible.
5. Obviously use the tripod.
6. You can use a remote control or set the camera to 2s delay, pushing the button with your finger would shake the camera.

Is this right guys?

tanya
07-27-2007, 12:36 PM
Awesome! I was going to ask the same question!

rockgremlin
07-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Win great question, the way Dan explained to me is this:

3. Set it to either Ap mode and let the camera set the shutter slow enough, or set it to Shutter mode and slow down the camera to 2-3 seconds
4. Also, the ISO helps here too, set it to 100-200 so the shutter would stay open as much as possible.
6. You can use a remote control or set the camera to 2s delay, pushing the button with your finger would shake the camera.

Is this right guys?

Sounds good. Another thing I would add is to shoot these always in low light -- dusk, dawn, or in an enclosed slot canyon all are ideal for this kind of thing.

CarpeyBiggs
07-27-2007, 01:01 PM
Is this right guys?

Pretty accurate Alex, with some modifications... Just remember, shutter speed is the key to making water silky. Between 1/2 second and 2 seconds is usually sufficient.

1- Only close the aperture far enough to get it so your shutter speed is longer. Some water looks good at 1/2 second. Some looks good at 3 seconds. Depends on how far you are from the water, and how far it is falling. f22 can be too small in many situations.

2- Can be done with sunlight, you just need to use either a neutral density filter or polarizer to knock the light down even darker.

3- Doesn't matter what mode you shoot in, but Av (aperture priority) is usually the easiest.

4 - ALWAYS shoot at ISO 100 and off a tripod for water shots.

5 - Remote release is muy bueno in this situation, along with mirror lock up and a tripod. Remote release can be used as well if you want it.

Here's a few examples:

http://www.danransom.com/blog/images/20070606211448_utahlake2007_06_06.jpg
This is a 1 second exposure.

http://www.danransom.com/blog/images/20061104175655_jettysplash.jpg
Another 1 second exposure

http://www.danransom.com/blog/images/20060506125658_stewartfalls.jpg
Probably 1/2 second exposure? Can't remember for sure.

Here are a few more, same technique, different subjects.

http://www.danransom.com/blog/images/20070212003120_lincolnrevisited.jpg
30 second exposure.

http://www.danransom.com/blog/images/20070202213401_knightblock.jpg
30 second exposure

http://www.danransom.com/blog/images/20070218180136_threesisters.jpg
Same technique, just a 45 minute exposure.

tanya
07-27-2007, 01:20 PM
:eek2: WOW! I love those first 2! The rest are outstanding too though.

Win
07-27-2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks alot for the advise on this. I'll be out looking for some water in the very near future. Actually, I have a creek behind the house, I'll need to start there.

Dan, terrific shots, especially the first two. The Star trails are something else I need to try.

Win

waltny
07-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Composition on the last 3 are amazing, well though out and shot. Ill have to dig through my best to try to match up with these.

accadacca
07-27-2007, 06:04 PM
Carpey :eek2: :hail2thechief:

R
07-28-2007, 12:07 PM
Dan is the man for the cotton-candy water shots. :2thumbs:

Johnlithon
07-29-2007, 12:27 PM
If you have some time on your hands I think this is a great video tutorial on the subject. :popcorn:

http://www.radiantvista.com/archive/video_tutorials/5/

waltny
07-31-2007, 08:53 PM
Ogden river...

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u25/waltny/100_4409copy.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u25/waltny/ogdenriver.jpg

Alex
08-01-2007, 04:26 AM
waltny, thanks, very good examples. How long is the exposure on that one?

We should get into a habit of posting some stats with the pics for others (me specifically :haha: ) to learn from :2thumbs:

Cirrus2000
08-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Some shots from last winter, around Vancouver. Cheapo point and shoot (well, actually not so cheapo, cuz it's waterproof, but very point and shoot...):

http://kev.cirruswebsolutions.ca/uutah/w2.jpg
1/10 second, f3.9, ISO64, shot from the Jeep window.

Later in the day, around dusk:

http://kev.cirruswebsolutions.ca/uutah/w1.jpg
1/4 second, f3.3, ISO400

Pretty much dark, now:
http://kev.cirruswebsolutions.ca/uutah/w4.jpg
1/4 second, f3.3, ISO200

http://kev.cirruswebsolutions.ca/uutah/w3.jpg
1 second (plus flash), f3.3, ISO200

joethelion
08-02-2007, 12:37 AM
Lots og great advices and great pictures here! :hail2thechief: :2thumbs:

Only one thing, in case you are concerned about image quality in a (big) print: the more you close your aperture (f/11 and beyond), the more you'll cause diffraction, and diffraction will degrade the quality of your image, i.e. the sharpness, the resolution of the finer details, will get worst and worst, and this will be noticeable as soon as you begin to print bigger (how much bigger it depends on which format you are using, obviously there are differences between DSRL, 35mm, medium format and large format)...

Ciao!!
Marco

hank moon
08-02-2007, 06:46 AM
From Snoqualmie last year

Win
08-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Last nite LaVerkin Cr behind my house was really flashing. I didn't use a tripod but did open to F13 and 1/3 sec. IS really helped in this case.

Normally this is a few inches deep, running clear.

Win

http://www.fototime.com/85957C61215840D/standard.jpg

shagster
08-02-2007, 01:21 PM
Amazing Pictures :hail2thechief: :hail2thechief:

JP
08-02-2007, 02:18 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Zukimog/FarMill332.jpg

tmartenst
08-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Little Cottonwood Creek

sparker1
08-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Waterfall of Provo River, taken recently along Mirror Lake Highway. (Used 3 stops of neutral density filter. Still, bright sun will over-expose shots of water.)

JP
08-12-2007, 11:15 PM
:2thumbs:

goofball
09-21-2007, 08:32 PM
one thing i am finding out is i get much beter results shooting w/ my contrast set as low as possible (-4 on my 400d). it has really helped to keep highlights from blowing out and givees me the maximum shadow detail (really a little muddy, but that is where editing comes in). then in post processing i can push my tones around where i want them, bringing down the shadows so they aren;t so muddy yet keeping some detail and texture, while being able to keep the highlights from going bulletproof and losing any texture at all. unless i want to lose texture in either. i prefer having the choice to make myself instead of having it made for me.

CarpeyBiggs
09-21-2007, 08:52 PM
Goof, you shooting in RAW?

goofball
09-21-2007, 09:38 PM
Goof, you shooting in RAW?

yeah, that way my edits are non-destructive if i wanna print to hang. just using dpp for now unitl i can afford lightroom and probably elements. plus, i have always been about maximum quality and control. i miss control strips, iso and exposure tests, densitometers, all my stinky acids and alkalis that got me coughing blood one summer before i decided to tong it and get a respirator... ahhhhh, good times. good times.

CarpeyBiggs
09-21-2007, 09:48 PM
yeah, that way my edits are non-destructive if i wanna print to hang. just using dpp for now unitl i can afford lightroom and probably elements. plus, i have always been about maximum quality and control. i miss control strips, iso and exposure tests, densitometers, all my stinky acids and alkalis that got me coughing blood one summer before i decided to tong it and get a respirator... ahhhhh, good times. good times.

Yeah, RAW is definitely the way to go. You realize though, that your settings on your camera don't mean anything when you shoot RAW. For instance, your -4 contrast doesn't do anything to the image, except for the preview on the back of your camera.

As for software, I highly recommend Photoshop CS3. Lightroom is good as well, but Photoshop is a necessity if you want to print yourself. The new camera raw 4.2 is pretty impressive stuff.

goofball
09-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah, RAW is definitely the way to go. You realize though, that your settings on your camera don't mean anything when you shoot RAW. For instance, your -4 contrast doesn't do anything to the image, except for the preview on the back of your camera.

As for software, I highly recommend Photoshop CS3. Lightroom is good as well, but Photoshop is a necessity if you want to print yourself. The new camera raw 4.2 is pretty impressive stuff.

yeah, i know the shot setting doesn't really matter. it is only one interpretation of the capture, so to speak, right ? the raw can be pushed or pulled post processing to whatever other setting the software has to offer as well.

but it makes a huge difference in my whole work flow by starting out so flat, whether shot flat or bumped down in dpp. i have taken to starting it flat in processing and adjusting my rgb curves as well as my raw. i've found it much easier to start w/ a lifeless image, just data, no interpretation. and from there push my values around to achieve what the image tells me it wants to be.

i trial'd lr and liked it, even though it edits universally. i relly want that local control ! case in point - that damn bush in the upper left of the water fall. it needs to come down. i look at that image and my eye goesa right to it. it is just soooo expensive, this digital world ! and now i'm trying to find an affordable way to scan my old 35mm b/w and still get results i would be pleased w/. NOTHING will ever beat a silver halide print though, in my opinion.

CarpeyBiggs
09-22-2007, 05:25 AM
I always find it fulfilling when you discover a new technique that you become really confident with. I really like the final image, and that bush in the corner? I didn't even notice it until you said something. :nod:

goofball
09-23-2007, 09:59 PM

just downloaded photoshop cs3. pretty nice.... all the raw edits of lr, plus local control. now that hot spot is tolerable !

asdf
09-26-2007, 01:01 PM
a

R
09-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Yeah, RAW is definitely the way to go.

I got a very beat-up D1 for shooting news last year for just $300, and shooting RAW with it and opening those files in Photoshop tames most of that old girl's sins. It's pretty amazing, really, how much better they are than the JPEGs.

goofball
09-26-2007, 04:36 PM
I need to take a photo shop class.....

I took this in Provo Canyon yesterday.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1328/1444419566_a5b478b7fb_b.jpg

photoshop is nice, but nothing beats good lighting and good composition - and the ability to capture both together. cameras and software are really the least important foctors in my opinion. developing a good eye, being able to visualize teh final result from teh beginning will improve anyones photos greatly.

a lot of the time we are stuck having to take what we get when we're there. visiting and revisiting a locale in order to get it under the best light and conditions, shooting it from different angles, different crops, different focal lengths, is often what is needed though to get a really spectacular shot.

the only thing that separates a pro form an amateur is patience and the ability to consistently produce quality images from the understanding of light and composition. you don't need to make money from it to be a pro. and looking at others work is really helpful. understanding how they got that great shot will tell you how to get yours.

keep up the good work !

goofball
09-26-2007, 04:48 PM

I got a very beat-up D1 for shooting news last year for just $300, and shooting RAW with it and opening those files in Photoshop tames most of that old girl's sins. It's pretty amazing, really, how much better they are than the JPEGs.

is it the compression of the image when converting that makes the difference so noticeable ? and on that as well, my raw files are 10-14m and tif at 16 bit reaches 57+. if my files is being compressed to convert, how does it get so much BIGGER ?

Bo_Beck
09-28-2007, 07:56 AM
Taken in Red Hollow following meltoff from a snow storm

stefan
09-28-2007, 08:13 AM
oooo ... very nice bo :2thumbs:

sparker1
09-28-2007, 08:27 AM
Incredible.

Bo_Beck
09-28-2007, 03:13 PM
Another of my personal favorite shots...I know, I know! Its not the typical water, but does it count?

R
09-28-2007, 08:51 PM

is it the compression of the image when converting that makes the difference so noticeable ? and on that as well, my raw files are 10-14m and tif at 16 bit reaches 57+. if my files is being compressed to convert, how does it get so much BIGGER ?

16-bit files are huge, since colors (red, green, blue) are each represented with 4086 values instead of 256.

As far as the RAW files from the D1 are concerned, I find that the biggest differences between RAW and JPEG are noise and color rendition. The JPEG engine in the original D1 is very primitive compared to Adobe's RAW converter. The files still aren't up to the quality from the D1H/X, for example, but they are certainly usable.

I agree, of course, with the post about light, composition, the moment, and the effort being paramount. A great moment with a cheap point-and-shoot always trumps a knees-locked, high-noon snapshot with a D2XS, always.

waltny
10-09-2007, 05:03 PM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u25/waltny/wheatgrass.jpg

Got some overexposure with hanging the shutter trying to get some milky water.

hallkc
11-06-2007, 06:12 PM
I stopped the flow of water a little, I like the effect of stopped water more than running water.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/hallkchallkc/DSC_24678X10RadiantSmall.jpg

hallkc
11-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Sometimes it's fun to stop the water motion (on the right half) AND show the water motion (on the left half)...

Anyone guess how I did this?

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/hallkchallkc/PhotoMergeWaterFall.jpg

goofball
11-13-2007, 10:52 AM
while i feel my landscape eye is still very much a work in progress, i have always been satisfied w/ my shots of running water. and i love hiking to lakes or along rivers/streams whenever posssible. got this one over the weekend. i just wish the banks weren't so cluttered and unaccomadating to me and my camera sometimes.

asdf
11-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Very nice goofball

rooster32
11-27-2007, 09:40 AM

Is not the benefit of shooting raw the ability to adjust white balance and other controls....and not the fact that raw is actually a "better" pic then a fine jpeg? Jpeg being harder due to the fact that you have to nail the exposure/wb as compared to raw where you can "fix" a not so perfect shot after the fact. All being equal and you nail the shot without need to PP....is the raw still a better quality picture? Without blowing the pic up to huge sizes...could you actually tell?

The other question is if 16 bit is really that much better then 14....again can you actually see the differnce? I've been searching around on a bunch of photo sites and a lot say ...No???? Anyone have examples?

(didn't mean to hijack thread.....)

Thoughts??

R
11-27-2007, 02:23 PM
In the case of my old, old D1, the fact is that the camera has a very primitive JPEG engine compared to Nikon Capture, Bibble, or Adobe Camera RAW. Those programs are capable of extracting better color rendition and less noise from the original data than that camera's outdated processing. The same is true for my D100 - I shoot RAW with it all the time, not because I need the features of the NEF files, but because the camera does a fairly mediocre job of extracting image quality from the data and producing JPEGs. Most modern RAW converters can acquire much better images. By the time the D70S came into my hands (and my wife's), the JPEG rendering engine had been improved enough that I seldom shoot RAW with it.

Everyone's needs are different. I tell my students to shoot, shoot, shoot. Nothing the internet can tell you will help the way actual hands-on experience can.

Jaxx
11-27-2007, 02:52 PM
Sometimes it's fun to stop the water motion (on the right half) AND show the water motion (on the left half)...

Anyone guess how I did this?

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff112/hallkchallkc/PhotoMergeWaterFall.jpg

Photoshop? I give up. I have been waiting patiently for someone who knows about picture taking to guess. I can't wait any longer how is it done?

CarpeyBiggs
11-27-2007, 04:17 PM
Definitely photoshop. Two pictures, different shutter speeds

In the old days, similar effects could be done by overexposing two images, both at different shutter speeds. Then, they would take the slides, and put two images in one slide holder. The combined images would then have a proper exposure value, but have properties of both the slow shutter speed, and the fast speed.

Of course, it would be more difficult to do this type of effect in a dark room, without some tricky masking.

CarpeyBiggs
11-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Is not the benefit of shooting raw the ability to adjust white balance and other controls....and not the fact that raw is actually a "better" pic then a fine jpeg?
For some things, JPEG is faster, and better. Like shooting sports, where you shoot tons of images, and need to turn them around to clients quickly. Nail it in camera, and move on.

But if you are shooting fine-art landscape, or fashion, etc... RAW is without comparison. The reason is simple. The data is completely untouched from the digital to analog converter, and you, as the "developer" of the negative, can extract that information any way you desire. With JPEG, much of the information is lost. So yes, it is "better" than a fine JPEG. Much of it depends on how your camera processes the RAW data to convert it to a JPEG too. That is the step where data is lost.

Jpeg being harder due to the fact that you have to nail the exposure/wb as compared to raw where you can "fix" a not so perfect shot after the fact. All being equal and you nail the shot without need to PP....is the raw still a better quality picture? Without blowing the pic up to huge sizes...could you actually tell?
Yep, RAW is still better, though depending on how you "develop" your RAW image, the difference could be significant, or negligible. The main reason RAW is better though, from a quality standpoint, is the ability to reduce noise before conversion, thus ensuring you have the highest quality information from your camera.

The other question is if 16 bit is really that much better then 14....again can you actually see the differnce? I've been searching around on a bunch of photo sites and a lot say ...No???? Anyone have examples?

Well, most cameras are 12-bit devices, that record 16 bit data. 14-bit is new technology, and actually happens before the data is written to the card, but the resulting files are still either 8 bit, or 16 bit when opened on a computer. 16 bit or 8 bit conversion happen during the RAW to JPEG conversion, whether on your camera or on a computer.

The reason 16 bit is preferable to 8-bit though, is the enhanced color gamuts. For web use, this doesn't matter much, but for fine-art prints, it does. If you master color gamuts and color profiling, your prints will be much better, and avoid problems like posterization, which is more common with 8 bit files.

I think... :ne_nau:

rooster32
11-27-2007, 04:55 PM
CB....good stuff...thanks!

Normally not too much of a tech geek, but I've been reading my new D300 users manual and been searching out info on some of the settings.

Should only need to read the whole thing about 12 more times till it sinks in :dizzy:

I've been shooting more and more in raw and learning to use Lightroom and CS2......

CarpeyBiggs
11-27-2007, 05:13 PM
D300, eh? I hear wonderful things about those guys. Yet to see one in action though. I need to give it a whirl one of these days.

rooster32
11-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Well....we'll have to hook-up and let you test drive her.....

I got it last Friday and have been harrasing the wife, kids and dog with it. I think my dog is the most photographed dog in the world!

Hope to get out later this week or this weekend and break it in.

CarpeyBiggs
11-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Where do you hail from rooster?

rooster32
11-27-2007, 09:00 PM
Sandy...need to add that to my profile

fire
12-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Yellow Creek, Bryce Canyon NP

tanya
12-08-2007, 05:42 AM
Yellow Creek? I don't know that one unless it's the one that runs through the Mossy Cave area?

fire
12-08-2007, 12:04 PM
Yellow Creek is the drainage below Paria Point.

sparker1
12-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Very interesting shot. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it.

fire
12-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Very interesting shot. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it.

It's a small flume placed in the stream to measure water flow. Works on small creeks where it is easy to steer the flow of water.

tanya
12-09-2007, 02:46 PM
I need to go and see this creek!

trackrunner
12-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Kanarraville Canyon waterfall

CarpeyBiggs
12-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Sol Duc falls.
http://danransom.com/blog/images/20071223210413_solduc.jpg

CarpeyBiggs
12-23-2007, 08:24 PM
And one more, just down stream a ways.

http://danransom.com/blog/images/20071223212525_rainforest.jpg

goofball
12-24-2007, 04:08 PM
teh olympics are pretty incredible, i thought it was a macro lovers wet dream as well. banana slugs, frogs, mushrooms, lots of little details to capture. lots of bears too. and huckleberries... :slobber: mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

redbonez
12-25-2007, 10:26 AM
http://www.rbzphotography.com/water/waterfall2.jpg

redbonez
12-25-2007, 10:27 AM
http://www.rbzphotography.com/water/WinterStream.jpg

jiffers
12-27-2007, 09:47 PM
this is one of my favorite shots and spots. It's just off the road up by Tibble Fork Reservoir

JP
12-28-2007, 08:05 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Zukimog/SDIM2305a640.jpg

waltny
12-28-2007, 11:25 AM
this is one of my favorite shots and spots. It's just off the road up by Tibble Fork Reservoir

Really dig this, nice shot :2thumbs:

waltny
12-28-2007, 11:30 AM
http://www.rbzphotography.com/water/WinterStream.jpg

In the spirt of everyone is a critic, I think if you shot this more as a traditonal marco this would turn this good shot into a real head turner. If you could have focused in on the rock in the middle and got a decent shallow depth of field it would be awesome. Its not to say its not good now, just that little bit to send it over the top.

The more I look at it, I think that the dead weed there adds a little emotion and character to the shot.

accadacca
12-28-2007, 09:45 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Zukimog/SDIM2305a640.jpg
Where is this JP? :popcorn:

JP
12-30-2007, 11:22 AM
Housatonic River Falls Village, Connecticut. I was screwing around and the light was fading when I took that last shot. Here's one a wee bit earlier.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Zukimog/SDIM2286a640.jpg

accadacca
12-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Housatonic River Falls Village, Connecticut. I was screwing around and the light was fading when I took that last shot. Here's one a wee bit earlier.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Zukimog/SDIM2286a640.jpg
Coolness. :cool2:

dbessee
01-14-2008, 02:49 PM
I enjoy taking pics. This a a couple years ago at Copeland Falls. Don't remember the camera settings but it was about 4:30 in the afternoon in Oct. Sorry about the size, I had to shrink it quite a bit to get the bit size limit down.

JP
01-15-2008, 10:00 AM
The middle of the falls that gave Falls Village, Connecticut its name :haha:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Zukimog/252Farm_HousJan08.jpg

mhambi
01-25-2008, 02:56 PM
:wavey:

"The Three Sisters"

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/1499/10octds3.jpg

mhambi
01-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Another. I like the 'chrome' look on this one (b/w film scan)

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/8889/kch2vt9.jpg

waltny
01-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Bridge at Wheatgrass arm of Causey Res

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u25/waltny/DSC_1552copy.jpg

mhambi
01-26-2008, 06:48 PM
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6103/28580981eb4.th.jpg (http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=28580981eb4.jpg)

hallkc
01-27-2008, 09:19 AM
Bridge at Wheatgrass arm of Causey Res

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u25/waltny/DSC_1552copy.jpg

Hey walt,

The filter you used on this photo makes the water look like it's frozen or something... freaking awesome! Teach me... :hail2thechief:

hallkc
01-27-2008, 09:22 AM

What a view! Where was this taken?

CarpeyBiggs
01-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Kanarra Creek Narrows, outside of Kanarraville.

trackrunner
01-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Where was this taken?

Kanarra Creek Narrows, outside of Kanarraville.

Correct, info on the hike from Tanya's web site
http://www.zionnational-park.com/kanarra-creek.htm

I posted two pics on here from this place.
The narrows
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=90913#90913
The second water fall
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=90915#90915

jiffers
01-28-2008, 06:07 PM

Awesome shot, I don't think it would have the same effect if it was in color. :2thumbs:

trackrunner
01-29-2008, 05:18 PM

Awesome shot, I don't think it would have the same effect if it was in color. :2thumbs:

The shot is cool in color too.

This guy, Joe Braun (Tanya's friend) has some cool pictures of this same fall. I will not post his pic, I didn't ask his promission, but here is the link

favorite (http://www.citrusmilo.com/zion2006/joebraun_kanarra01.jpg)

gallery (http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/kanarracreekpix.cfm)

jiffers
01-29-2008, 08:18 PM

The shot is cool in color too.

This guy, Joe Braun (Tanya's friend) has some cool pictures of this same fall. I will not post his pic, I didn't ask his promission, but here is the link

favorite (http://www.citrusmilo.com/zion2006/joebraun_kanarra01.jpg)

gallery (http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/kanarracreekpix.cfm)

I stand corrected. It does look pretty amazing in color. With the different point of view, and having a person in the shot really changes it as well. It looks a lot bigger in the B&W shot.
thanks for sharing

mhambi
01-30-2008, 08:28 AM
There are some awesome color ones out there.

The last 3 from HERE (http://shuntavi.smugmug.com/gallery/1360069#72626071) are nice!

I was there at the complete wrong time of day. All my color ones (taken with a cheap Kodak to boot) were washed out and not very nice. I did get this pic that I like though in a sheltered part of the canyon...

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/4116/r11et7.jpg

trackrunner
01-30-2008, 01:10 PM
There are some awesome color ones out there.

The last 3 from HERE (http://shuntavi.smugmug.com/gallery/1360069#72626071) are nice!

I was there at the complete wrong time of day. All my color ones (taken with a cheap Kodak to boot) were washed out and not very nice. I did get this pic that I like though in a sheltered part of the canyon...

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/4116/r11et7.jpg

nice :2thumbs:

Bo_Beck
03-14-2008, 06:14 AM
These pictures were sent to me by Jim. He works for GCNRA and went over to the dam during the recent release of 42.000 CFS and took a couple shots. I thought it looed pretty cool!

stefan
03-14-2008, 04:54 PM
that's insane

Bo_Beck
03-15-2008, 05:10 AM
A few more pictures of running water sent to me by my friend James. Sort of a rare look from the eyes of another.

accadacca
03-15-2008, 08:57 AM
Thanks for posting these Bo. AWESOME! :popcorn:

Bo_Beck
03-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks for posting these Bo. AWESOME! :popcorn:

Not a problem! It's cool to share photos that show such an amazing event! :hydro:

Scott Card
03-15-2008, 09:20 PM
I wonder what would happen if one were to stand on the tube, plug the nose and jump in the jet of water. Any one want to try? I want to watch. :lol8: Great photos. Very cool to see. But it's not really a real flood though. No rocks, logs, sand, dirt, old webbing, dead man anchors...etc. storming out of those tubes. :haha:

JP
03-16-2008, 01:07 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Zukimog/18LTCFLDCNTYFeb08.jpg

Redpb
03-18-2008, 09:31 AM
Alright guys... first attempt here.
Let me have it.

JP
03-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Let me have it.
:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:
Have what? Nice stone work :2thumbs:
Do you have that pic in color? It's your imagination on how you want it seen by others. :2thumbs:

Redpb
03-18-2008, 10:10 AM
I do have it in color. I didn't like it at all. I also have a similar shot with the shutter open to blur the water. I think I need to leave it open longer, the slower water makes it look out of focus rather than that cotton candy Richard does so well.

Redpb
03-18-2008, 10:30 AM
here is one more in color and b&w a little further up the river. I haven't cropped these at all.

Captain Cuevas
03-18-2008, 11:25 AM
First-timer here as well. Feel free to let me have it :haha:

Captain Cuevas
03-18-2008, 11:34 AM
here is one more in color and b&w a little further up the river. I haven't cropped these at all.

Hey, that's me sitting on the rock behind the tree in the top left :-D Nice capture! :roflol:

Redpb
03-18-2008, 11:42 AM

Hey, that's me sitting on the rock behind the tree in the top left :-D Nice capture! :roflol:

Now cropping

JP
03-18-2008, 02:07 PM
I think I need to leave it open longer, the slower water makes it look out of focus rather than that cotton candy Richard does so well.
A tripod is your friend :nod: Take the same pic several times over. Experiment with the settings and you will find what you're looking for. Nothing like standing in a river, listening to the water rush by and having all the time in the world to play with your camera :2thumbs: It's sort of like time stands still.

It's funny that you and the Capt. were in the same spots :mrgreen: Howdy and Welcome if I missed both of you up top :five:

Redpb
03-18-2008, 04:24 PM
I had it on a tripod and using a remote. I'll post one tomorrow and you can see what I mean. I took TONS of photos whilst playing with the different settings. What i saw come out on the 2.5 inch screen was much different from on the computer.

I had a hard time finding the balance between the aperture and shutter speed.

JP
03-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Stick with Aperture and let the camera choose speed and then Speed and let the camera choose aperture.

Jaxx
03-21-2008, 09:38 AM
Let me have it.

Pure crap. Not even your expensive camera can help your lacking skills. Just throw it away. You should be ashamed for posting that

Redpb
03-21-2008, 09:40 AM
Pure crap. Not even your expensive camera can help your lacking skills. Just throw it away. You should be ashamed for posting that

Post up big talker... let see some of your stuff!

Jaxx
03-21-2008, 12:23 PM

Oh crap. I didn't expect to get called out. I'm sorry baby. I love your pictures and you. I don't know why I said that. Please forgive me.

Disclaimer: red and I are brother-in-laws

Redpb
03-21-2008, 03:06 PM

Oh crap. I didn't expect to get called out. I'm sorry baby. I love your pictures and you. I don't know why I said that. Please forgive me.

Disclaimer: red and I are brother-in-laws

No we are not! Look here, troll, why don't you try and post something constructive for once.

side note: are we still on for Halo this weekend?

Jaxx
03-21-2008, 03:39 PM
[quote=Jaxx]side note: are we still on for Halo this weekend?

yeppers. Unless wifey makes us stay home to play on the new trampoline.

stefan
03-21-2008, 03:53 PM
more pix and less commercials

Redpb
03-21-2008, 03:56 PM
more pix and less commercials

you got a trampoline jaxx?

waltny
06-20-2008, 10:29 PM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u25/waltny/_DSC8635.jpg

waltny
06-20-2008, 10:30 PM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u25/waltny/_DSC8665.jpg

waltny
06-20-2008, 10:30 PM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u25/waltny/_DSC8670.jpg

Wild One
06-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Debated on whether to post these on the Beyond UT album or here. They seem to fit better here. These are from the Great Smoky Mountain National Park in TN.

http://inlinethumb53.webshots.com/41780/2191601700101442662S600x600Q85.jpg (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2191601700101442662pmJrby)

http://inlinethumb22.webshots.com/42005/2748083280101442662S600x600Q85.jpg (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2748083280101442662yuUeTE)

http://inlinethumb26.webshots.com/40985/2550810200101442662S600x600Q85.jpg (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2550810200101442662zKHPSf)

shaggy125
06-24-2008, 03:44 PM
Debated on whether to post these on the Beyond UT album or here. They seem to fit better here. These are from the Great Smoky Mountain National Park in TN.

http://inlinethumb53.webshots.com/41780/2191601700101442662S600x600Q85.jpg (http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2191601700101442662pmJrby)

Very Nice! :2thumbs:

stefan
06-24-2008, 06:23 PM

outstanding photos.

here's the deal. i started the "beyond utah" thread when this forum was called uutah and many forum members had the notion that everything was utah-based. but the forum has become something more universal ... bogley ... so please feel free to post your photos in whatever thread you wish

JP
06-24-2008, 06:38 PM
outstanding photos.
x2 :2thumbs:

Wild One
06-25-2008, 07:16 AM
outstanding photos.

here's the deal. i started the "beyond utah" thread when this forum was called uutah and many forum members had the notion that everything was utah-based. but the forum has become something more universal ... bogley ... so please feel free to post your photos in whatever thread you wish

Thanks guys. Glad I could finally post something worthy of these albums. There just aren't a lot of strikingly beautiful places in Ohio :ne_nau:

I never really chimed into the topic before, but I think changing the name was great idea. I posted semi-frequently when I first joined, but then moved out or Utah and didn't feel like I had much to add til now. Again, thanks.

apcronnelly
06-25-2008, 05:09 PM
I ran up one night after work to get a this pic

tanya
06-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Wow! There are some new Bogley members with some talent in here. :2thumbs:

jiffers
06-29-2008, 07:37 AM
A photo from our recent trip down to Havasupai

jiffers
06-29-2008, 07:49 AM
another photo from our Havasupai trip

CarpeyBiggs
06-29-2008, 11:46 AM
:2thumbs: beautiful Jeff.

Wild One
06-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Jeff,
Nice pics. Can't believe you were able to get some without people in them. Must have been in the odd hours before the other 12,000 campers woke up.... :roll:

waltny
06-30-2008, 11:06 AM
Those are some nice shots Jeff.

Here is one from the dam at East Canyon.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u25/waltny/eastcanon3.jpg

goofball
07-24-2008, 07:17 PM
barracks

http://inlinethumb50.webshots.com/40305/2425860090054335321S600x600Q85.jpg (http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2425860090054335321zlePPi)

asdf
10-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Big Springs
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3088/2892944816_a1b34e68e6_b.jpg

blueeyes
10-12-2008, 10:43 AM
beautiful shot

asdf
10-14-2008, 05:09 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2241/2940162742_b08264ef0b_b.jpg

JP
10-14-2008, 07:08 AM
Mystical

accadacca
10-14-2008, 08:16 AM

Wow. :eek2: Where is this? Must be in the pacific northwest somewhere.

asdf
10-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Wow. :eek2: Where is this? Must be in the pacific northwest somewhere.

Avalanche Gorge in Glacier National Park Montana.
Such an Awesome place, My wife is from that area so we go up there every other year.

Mooseman70
10-14-2008, 08:31 AM

Very nice shot! I'm waiting for Frodo Baggins and crew to walk into the shot anytime now. :lol8:

accadacca
10-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Excellent shot man. It is amazing what we have out west. . .and how much I haven't seen yet.

asdf
10-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Excellent shot man. It is amazing what we have out west. . .and how much I haven't seen yet.

Glacier is an awesome place.
This is Sun Rift Gorge.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3245/2942468410_fe06a81ae1.jpg

americanhero
10-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Here is one of my shots of Upper Calf Creek Fall I did in June during our Southwest Trip.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s140/americanhero_auf_reisen/Hoodoos%20Reisebericht/comp_DSC_4167-1.jpg

millsclimber
10-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Way late coming in on this one, but here goes a couple.

http://inlinethumb46.webshots.com/14317/2886563440099183908S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2886563440099183908DmeFqv)

http://inlinethumb47.webshots.com/44334/2755724060099183908S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2755724060099183908zDYpAM)

Congrats to all who have posted here too. Absolutely incredible shots. It's crazy how much talent there is in this part of the forum.

Austin

apcronnelly
10-20-2008, 04:33 PM
I couldn't believe how blue the water was!

apcronnelly
10-20-2008, 04:36 PM
Below Fifth Water Hotsprings

americanhero
01-01-2009, 05:12 PM
here are two shots I did in El Yunque Rainforest, Puerto Rico.
Bathing in La Mina Falls was really funny, but the water was so cold :eek2:

JP
01-01-2009, 06:50 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Zukimog/SDIM4895.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v654/Zukimog/SDIM4897.jpg

waltny
01-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Some layer work here, the snow may appear blown on your screen.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u25/waltny/DSC_6178copy.jpg

asdf
05-14-2009, 08:21 AM
Foot bridge in Fruita
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3601/3530516609_cbe24ed553.jpg

Hidden Falls
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3327/3514079331_2927283737.jpg

Seven
05-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Banff Nat'l Park, Alberta Canada:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g123/JadedJen714/Photography/Canadialand/Banff1.jpg

Wild One
05-29-2009, 12:57 PM
Banff Nat'l Park, Alberta Canada:

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g123/JadedJen714/Photography/Canadialand/Banff1.jpg
That looks like the Bow right next to the Indian Trading post!!
Did you take that from just below the bridge?

Seven
05-29-2009, 01:00 PM
I believe I stopped to snap that shot when we were just about across the bridge.

Banff is awesome. Water was coooooold though.

mmac
06-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Here are a few of my favorites:

The Racetrack in The Subway
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e44/Akatihsa3400/Subway%20July%202008/20080724macphee0894.jpg

The Narrows
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e44/Akatihsa3400/20080630macphee0630.jpg

Big Spring in The Narrows
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e44/Akatihsa3400/20080630macphee0654.jpg

apcronnelly
06-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Took me three mornings of wake up calls to pull myself out of bed at 5 to get this sunrise in Mexico.

homerj
06-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Took this pic a few years ago while in Star Valley.

Wild One
06-08-2009, 07:38 AM
Took this pic a few years ago while in Star Valley.

Beautiful pic

apcronnelly
06-13-2009, 09:22 AM
Tried to get some vitamin D and ran up to waterfall canyon after work.

oldno7
07-02-2009, 05:13 PM
A picture up the canyon by the house

Win
07-16-2009, 01:58 PM
This is Bowery Cr feeding into Yankee Reservoir.

Win

http://www.fototime.com/F1E4E773A463113/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/B5AA74C0DC1F912/standard.jpg

asdf
07-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Creek @ Sundance

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3471/3707024741_601c39ecdf.jpg

oldno7
07-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Today-7-18

oldno7
07-18-2009, 09:30 PM
nuther

asdf
07-20-2009, 12:10 PM
Fremont river Falls in Capitol Reef
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3642/3702158196_3b1edfbcf9.jpg

jeffsullivan
08-01-2009, 12:26 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3404/3532230284_7a050fb60b.jpg
Cascade Creek in Yosemite National Park

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3023/2298387177_7390b57296.jpg

Horsetail Falls in Yosemite National Park

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1029/1144531870_5b1119763b.jpg

An unnamed waterfall in Zion National Park

Wild One
08-04-2009, 08:03 AM
jeff, I love the lighting in these.

apcronnelly
08-20-2009, 07:10 PM
It nice having this trailhead so close to home, but I wish I had more variety.

bryan
08-28-2009, 03:32 PM
These were taken last weekend in Childs Park in the Deleware Water Gap area of Pennsylvania.

Win
10-22-2009, 06:24 AM
Bullion Falls outside Marysvale, UT. Gotta go back in the Spring when there is snow melt!

Win

http://www.fototime.com/17B1F1DBE2FA7DE/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/42DA976BBA5F50D/orig.jpg

slickrocker
10-23-2009, 11:51 AM
This was just last Tues. at Arches near the VC

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t25/yuccahead/arches/McDonal-R1-044-20A_1-1.jpg

apcronnelly
10-24-2009, 01:02 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/mountana/NarrowsBigRocksmall-1.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/mountana/TheSubwaysmall-1.jpg

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a151/mountana/narrowswidesmall.jpg

ilanimaka
11-17-2009, 07:27 AM
Great pictures. :2thumbs:

remoteman45
03-31-2010, 08:24 PM
Orderville Falls

remoteman45
03-31-2010, 08:25 PM
Kane Creek Stream

remoteman45
03-31-2010, 08:34 PM
Provo River Falls

remoteman45
03-31-2010, 08:36 PM
Vivian Park Stream

remoteman45
03-31-2010, 08:37 PM
Toketee Falls Oregon

remoteman45
03-31-2010, 08:39 PM
American Basin Colorado

remoteman45
03-31-2010, 08:40 PM
Iguazu Falls Argentina

remoteman45
03-31-2010, 08:41 PM
Mystery Slot

remoteman45
03-31-2010, 08:42 PM
Water Droplet

accadacca
04-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Wow!

http://www.bogley.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32836&stc=1&d=1270093350

americanhero
04-09-2010, 02:02 PM
here are some of my shots from last year

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4001/4277047297_d01f094159_b.jpg
Watkins Glen, New York

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2598/3821874717_cd1074c415_b.jpg
Sol Duc Falls, Olympic NP

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2569/4044837833_cc55b8f347_b.jpg
Murder Creek, Western new York

Yeah it's really called Murder Creek. Guess why.... :mrgreen:

accadacca
04-11-2010, 08:27 PM
here are some of my shots from last year

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4001/4277047297_d01f094159_b.jpg
Watkins Glen, New York
This is an amazing shot. Wow!

asdf
04-20-2010, 02:14 PM

Wow that one is a goodie!

asdf
04-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Ogden Bay and Coyote Gulch
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2740/4535672480_02aa322ba4.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4029/4536866234_fb682ff369_b.jpg

remoteman45
06-26-2010, 09:04 PM
Hiked past the Hot Pots up Fifth Water in Diamond Fork Canyon today and had some fun shooting the double falls.

Dr. Nebz
07-27-2010, 07:02 PM
Here is a long exposure to get that "cotton candy" effect in the water.

Cirrus2000
07-27-2010, 11:28 PM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_O_8PLe3Zn6g/TEqCIgbobdI/AAAAAAAAX1s/16h9A-sbICQ/s640/IMGP4303.JPG

Canyoneering in Southwest BC

homerj
10-11-2010, 09:22 PM

X2! Love this shot!!!

americanhero
12-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Here some waterfall shots of Western New York. I'm really into waterfalls and luckily we have hundreds of them in our area.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4149/5067556935_4337274a45_z.jpg

Watkins Glen SP, NY

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4088/5097451871_164b8f1da3_z.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4087/5087940365_573955d196_z.jpg
Robert H.Treman SP

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4154/5049132589_6b72eca50e_z.jpg
Shadow Cascade, Letchworth SP

Philippe
12-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Awesome pictures Yvonne, and also a lot of incredible pictures in the previous posts.

Running water in the Narrows at Zion NP :

A picture of Navajo Falls (that doesn't exist any more) in Havasupai :

Another one in Havasupai :

americanhero
12-27-2010, 02:48 AM
awesome shots Philippe!! :2thumbs:
The reflections in the third one are outstanding.
And these rock cairns in the first one, they really look great.

wes242
12-29-2010, 02:03 PM
I love taking water shots.

Swiming up the Narrows

Willis Creek

http://www.wesleyaston.com/waterfalls.html

mattandersao
12-29-2010, 02:34 PM
So are you all using ND filters? If so what is a good one? I have about $50-$80 (bday and xmas cash) to buy one. Living in SW Utah lots of sun and I guess slots as well as that's where many of our waterfalls are!

ibenick
12-29-2010, 02:52 PM
So are you all using ND filters? If so what is a good one? I have about $50-$80 (bday and xmas cash) to buy one. Living in SW Utah lots of sun and I guess slots as well as that's where many of our waterfalls are!

I'm not very good with filter usage but I know with the water shots they help out so that you can slow down the shutter speed and get the silky effect. On the same token you can get that effect without an ND if the light isn't really bright. I'd like to learn more about ND application though, anybody else have tips on that?

americanhero
12-29-2010, 02:53 PM
So are you all using ND filters? If so what is a good one? I have about $50-$80 (bday and xmas cash) to buy one.

I'm only using a Hoya ND 8 filter. Wish I had a ND 1.2 filter, especially when I have to shoot on brighter days to slow down shutter speed.
Love overcast days for shooting waterfalls, light rain is okay as well.
A few weeks ago I played around with my camera and ND filter. Was a great evening for taking pictures.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4125/5070669898_07860098e7_z.jpg

mattandersao
12-29-2010, 03:22 PM

I took this picture at the typically dry dryfall just north of the pools (Many Pools Zion) I tried to slow the shutter speed and used f/22sh and lowered the exposure to -2 but there was still too much light to slow the shutter enough to get the blurred water thus my desire for a ND filter, I think the picture would have been awesome if I had been able to make the water the silky smooth blurred effect. Yvonne since you have some experience with ND's a 8(or .9) filter isn't enough for brighter days?

Philippe
12-29-2010, 03:33 PM
awesome shots Philippe!! :2thumbs:
The reflections in the third one are outstanding.
And these rock cairns in the first one, they really look great.

Thank you Yvonne, I was lucky to be just on time for the reflection of the third one.

Philippe

ibenick
12-29-2010, 03:38 PM

I took this picture at the typically dry dryfall just north of the pools (Many Pools Zion) I tried to slow the shutter speed and used f/22sh and lowered the exposure to -2 but there was still too much light to slow the shutter enough to get the blurred water thus my desire for a ND filter, I think the picture would have been awesome if I had been able to make the water the silky smooth blurred effect. Yvonne since you have some experience with ND's a 8(or .9) filter isn't enough for brighter days?

I think you would be better off to actually adjust the shutter speed rather than the exposure compensation. Anything below 1/30 should start to get a silky effect to it, slow it down to like 1/8 or a second and it will totally have it. I wasn't sure on what to buy so I picked up a 3-filter ND kit from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001M5RHDA/ref=oss_product) that has a .3, .6 and .9. It's a brand I hadn't heard of and was super cheap, $49 but it's been good for getting the hang of them. Here's a few pics I've taken with them on. The first one was on a really bright sunny day, the others I was in the shade.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4104/5058145891_669a79a5dc_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ibenick/5058145891/)
Ostler (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ibenick/5058145891/) by ibenick (http://www.flickr.com/people/ibenick/), on Flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4103/5126736341_0667a17df4_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ibenick/5126736341/)
Moss (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ibenick/5126736341/) by ibenick (http://www.flickr.com/people/ibenick/), on Flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4088/5126895333_f1499c0179_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ibenick/5126895333/)
Bill (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ibenick/5126895333/) by ibenick (http://www.flickr.com/people/ibenick/), on Flickr

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1371/5127511026_a719cb2b48_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ibenick/5127511026/)
Untitled (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ibenick/5127511026/) by ibenick (http://www.flickr.com/people/ibenick/), on Flickr

mattandersao
12-29-2010, 03:41 PM
I tried to adjust the shutter speed but all the pics were way over exposed! I think the problem was the sun was pretty much behind me so everything I was shooting was very lit up thus the overexposure when I slowed the shutter down.

ibenick
12-29-2010, 03:45 PM
Definitely need some ND's then. Also, remember that you can stack them like a .9 and a .6 to get 1.2, unless of course you're using an ultra wide then you might get some vignetting.

ibenick
12-29-2010, 03:48 PM
I took this one with no filters in Coyote Gulch. The slowest I could get it without massive blur was 1/25. Not great for that silky effect.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4014/5076814637_34e4a4f470.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ibenick/5076814637/)

mattandersao
12-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Definitely need some ND's then. Also, remember that you can stack them like a .9 and a .6 to get 1.2, unless of course you're using an ultra wide then you might get some vignetting.

I didnt know you could stack them! Thanks!!

americanhero
12-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Thank you Yvonne, I was lucky to be just on time for the reflection of the third one.

Philippe

I really love it. Such a perfect timing, simply awesome, Philippe.
I tried to get a few reflections of some colored trees this fall, but the conditions weren't the best and I wasn't very impressed with the result.
Maybe the low water level was the culprit or too much light, no idea. I should try to shoot on this location again in the further future.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4149/5093401739_dbebcb8efe_z.jpg

Any recommendations for improvement? This time I appreciated the light while shooting on that location. Normally I hate shooting on bright days, especially when I try to capture running water and waterfalls.

americanhero
12-29-2010, 04:17 PM
I tried to adjust the shutter speed but all the pics were way over exposed! I think the problem was the sun was pretty much behind me so everything I was shooting was very lit up thus the overexposure when I slowed the shutter down.

That is the problem while shooting on bright and sunny days. Before I got my filter I sometimes used a polarizer. It wasn't perfect but at least I could get a few decent shots.

ibenick:

great shots with your filter kit. I try to avoid to stack a lot of them because of the vignetting. Normally I'm using my 16-85 every day lens and with more than one filter I will have it on the edges. I'm using my filters only occasionally, especially the polarizer is one I rarely use nowadays.

gnwatts
01-01-2011, 01:01 PM
A waterfall in Dominguez Canyon, Co.

April

June

Dominguez Canyon, after a rainstorm

Upper Pine Canyon, Cedar Mesa

hank moon
02-18-2011, 03:20 PM