PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Tuesday 8/7 Group Ride - Ogden

Sombeech
07-26-2007, 11:01 PM
How about an Ogden ride? Maples Loop, great trail. I just rode this again tonight, and thought we've gotta do it as a group ride, at least for us northern boys.

Most recent pictures here:
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7982

It's a fairly easy climb, 2.75 miles, mixed with a couple of downhills. Then we take a really fun route back, giving us about 4 miles back to the trailhead.

If you are looking for a new trail to ride, this is it. Great downhill through the trees, moose sightings VERY likely.

This is on the border of Snowbasin Resort.

Past pictures and videos:
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3308
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2644

Mark and I did this trail tonight, we started at 7! Plenty of time for the commute.

shlingdawg
07-27-2007, 02:24 PM
I'd be there any nuther week, but I'll be out of town. :ne_nau:

live2ride
07-28-2007, 10:30 AM
Im in, just got back from a 17 mile ride up at basin with 2500 feet of climbing, damn Im tired. Maples will be fun!

greyhair biker
07-28-2007, 08:11 PM
dang! always wanted to ride up there too but the folks are coming up that week - :frustrated:

live2ride
07-29-2007, 05:48 PM
How about actually riding up maples rather than Art Nord? A better ride as far as scenery.

opskmallory
08-01-2007, 06:56 AM
That's a pretty long drive from down here at the Fork of the Spaniards. But I think I can swing it.

If anyone from the Provo/Orem area wants to catch a ride with me, I can probably squeeze another bike in the back of my car.

fourtycal
08-03-2007, 11:57 AM
I'll be headed up from 45th south Murray if anyone want's to carpool.

TreeHugger
08-06-2007, 09:27 AM
Can you post directions from Salt Lake? What time would I have to leave to get there on time??

Thanks!!!

Karen (Tree)

fourtycal
08-06-2007, 02:13 PM
Tuesday :slobber1:

Sombeech
08-06-2007, 04:08 PM
Can you post directions from Salt Lake? What time would I have to leave to get there on time??

Yep, there are two ways. The first, I take all the time:

Go up I-15 all the way 'til 12th street. Get off that exit, and head east, towards the canyon. You'll also see Rainbow Gardens, at the mouth of the canyon. Keep going.

You'll make it all the way up to Pineview Dam. Stay on the right side of the dam by going straight. About 1 mile along the dam, watch for Snowbasin Road on the right. Take this.

Wind your way up the road about another mile or two, and you'll see the dirt parking lot on your right.

These Google Earth tools should really help you out, too. :2thumbs:

Now, the second route, is taking Trapper's Loop, which connects in Morgan Canyon, and will take you to the upper part of Snowbasin Road. I'm sorry, but I do not have much experience this way. It seems like more hassle than taking the freeway all the way up to 12th street.

For those of you coming from SLC, at this time of day, I would suggest a little over an hour on the road. :eek2: Sucks, I know.

BUT, you may find it easier to drive up Parley's, go past Park City & Echo, come down through Morgan, and connect with Trapper's Loop. :ne_nau:

If you just don't have the time, I would suggest sticking around SLC for tomorrow.

Hope this helps.

opskmallory
08-06-2007, 06:21 PM
In-laws just showed up, so I'm out for tomorrow. :lame:

greyhair biker
08-06-2007, 09:12 PM
HEY!!! I just found out that the folks are staying home SO< I AM IN FOR THE RIDE! I am so stoked! Fourtycal, I'd carpool with you but I dont know when for sure I am gonna be leaving( I have a 10 am 1 1/2 hour massage first :2thumbs: ) . I'll be riding my GT this time and driving my white Nissan Sentra (gas$$$) so be on the lookout for it with a bike rack on back :five: :2thumbs: :clap:

greyhair biker
08-06-2007, 09:26 PM
What time are we shooting for?

Sombeech
08-06-2007, 09:28 PM
I dont know when for sure I am gonna be leaving( I have a 10 am 1 1/2 hour massage first :2thumbs: )

Dude, you're gonna want to take a nap. :lol8:

I'm not sure what time, what do you guys think? Mark and I started this at 7 last time, and ended just in time for it to get dark.

Shall we say 6:30 at the Art Nord TH?

greyhair biker
08-07-2007, 06:12 AM
you just say the word...I'll check back in before I head down. It's only about a 2 hour drive going the 'ogden way' for me from here...and Im sure Im be spending the night somwwhere down in the valley 'cause I WILL be beat! :mrgreen:

TreeHugger
08-07-2007, 06:24 AM
I'm going to tag along, if Greyhair Biker can drive two hours, I can tolerate one!! :-) yea! :-)

6:30??

live2ride
08-07-2007, 06:34 AM
If anyone is coming from SLC, save yourself some time and take Trappers loop. it will save you at least 30 minutes and is the shortest route. Get off at HWY 89 and then follow the signs to snowbasin. In stead of going into the snowbasin lodge parking lot continue past the entrance and you will be at the trail head (has a Art nord trail head sign and bathrooms) alot faster.

live2ride
08-07-2007, 06:37 AM
I dont know when for sure I am gonna be leaving( I have a 10 am 1 1/2 hour massage first :2thumbs: )

Dude, you're gonna want to take a nap. :lol8:

I'm not sure what time, what do you guys think? Mark and I started this at 7 last time, and ended just in time for it to get dark.

Shall we say 6:30 at the Art Nord TH?

I am going to be there at 6:00 and probably climb a little longer up basin. Anyone from SLC is going to want to beat the 5:00 traffic or not they may not make it in time.

opskmallory
08-07-2007, 06:43 AM
EDIT

fourtycal
08-07-2007, 07:21 AM
Me and ride-on will be there at 6:30, prolly more like before 6 depending on traffic.

TreeHugger
08-07-2007, 11:56 AM
WEll, my friend just offered me lobster and chardonnay for lunch.... hmmmm..... may be worth skipping the long horrible drive. We'll see. :-) I really want to ride with you guys one of these days!!!!

greyhair biker
08-07-2007, 12:14 PM
Tree...come anyway! No fair to lead us on and then not come :haha: I am shooting for 6pm just because I cant get enough of the mountains..that, and now I know there are bathrooms at the TH I dont have to drive in the bike gear :2thumbs: I AM THERE...besides, it's 1:10pm and I am heading out the door - see ya all there!

TreeHugger
08-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Ahhh, sorry, GB!! Couldnt make it. Damn, I swear, I'm not usually so unreliable, but I couldnt turn down lobsta and chardonnay with a good friend I dont get to see very often... Hopefully, next week. Sorry I missed ya, for real!! :-)

greyhair biker
08-07-2007, 10:59 PM
That's ok but we really had a good ride - we didnt leave the parking lot til 6:45 and I think I saw Sombeech pull into the parking lot when I looked back down the trail - we were a mile up by then -sorry 'beech...wasnt gonna turn around by then...Livetoride was in the lead and setting a blistering pace :haha: - great ride though - we went up to the 'bench' and took the right fork up to the road then headed up from there...I think we passed SnowBasin and then we opted to come back down to the 'bench' and hung a right again & headed down to the parking lot... great downhill!
Here are a few pics I took:

Dogden Mt Biker
08-08-2007, 08:56 AM
Who invited Bullwinkle, that guy always ruins the ride! ( ;

accadacca
08-08-2007, 09:28 AM
Sweet moose shot! You guys look scared. :lol8: :popcorn: