PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmiths?

PunchKing
07-25-2007, 11:13 AM
I have an old tube magazine Springfied 188h .22 semi auto rifle.

I have taken it to the range a couple of times and the thing refuses to push the bullets up into the chamber, after further examination I have found that there is not enough room for the bullets to get by the lifter when it is supposed to. What is my best course of action. I could maybe modify the lifter (file it down) so that the bullets can get past. Do I take it to a gunsmith? Do I just bag it and load the thing a bullet at a time like I have been. I have found the parts breakdown on the internet and can take pics if that would help any.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

shagster
07-25-2007, 11:59 AM
I would recommend a gunsmith, depending on where you are located you should be able to find a good one. :2thumbs:

Gutpiler_Utahn
07-26-2007, 10:28 AM
I'd say it depends on how comfortable you are with doing this particular job. If you are confident you can handle it, then I would say go for it just for the personal experience. As far as filing it down, I would make that a final option. Yes, it would work, but you are more likely to damage the rifles internals doing so. I would start with a simple cleaning of rht eparts around it. It could just be gunked up and if that's the case, a good thorough cleaning of the area should take care of it. You might also try rimfirecentral.com. These folks have helped me immensely when I'm doing my own gunsmithing work. :2thumbs:

Fire Elemental
07-29-2007, 04:42 AM
You might also try rimfirecentral.com. These folks have helped me immensely when I'm doing my own gunsmithing work. :2thumbs:

They are the ones who have helped me the most in the past!
They are great!
I agree that you should just try things yourself with their help to get the experience with gunsmithing!
Good Luck to you!

donny h
07-30-2007, 12:21 PM
rimfirecentral.com.

That place is amazing, I don't think I've stumbled across a more active site for ANY sort of pasttime than Rimfire Central, except maybe Glock.com.

Do I take it to a gunsmith?

I've managed to figure out most of my own smithing issues with the help of RimfireCentral and Glock.com, I would research it furthur before turning it over to someone else.

Good luck with that.