PDA

View Full Version : cameras

oldno7
07-23-2007, 03:51 PM
What is everyones camera of choice for canyons?
I had a nikon 880 for awhile but sand and moisture killed it.

the pentax optio w30 looks good and can be had from $200-250

mrabe1979
07-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Take a look at this
waterproof and shock proof

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1287

Alex
07-23-2007, 05:23 PM
I have owned W10 for about two years now. I have taken it through hell and back and it still keeps on snapping sweet pics and videos. I really liked the new Olympus camera (the one listed above). I'd totally replace my W10 with this one, except for one huge thing (at least to me):

Movie Mode AVI Movie with Sound: 640x480/15fps, SHQ; 320x240/15fps, HQ; 160x120/15fps, SQ

I take a lot of videos with my W10 (rafting mostly). So the 30 fps vs 15 fps is a big downside to my likings. If you don't care about the movie mode, then Olympus is a great camera.

If you are looking for a dust/water proof cameras Pentax W30 or Olympus 725 are the only choice really. Unless you go with an SLR and a kinda expensive waterproof case.

Hope this helps!

chin
07-23-2007, 06:34 PM
For point and shoots, i really like my canon s80. Wider angle lens and full manual controls so it's great for slot canyons.

RedRoxx
07-23-2007, 07:14 PM
I have the above Olympus camera; got a killer deal on it. Been on two cave trips, it's been in mud, wet, and dragged around on a lanyard around my neck while I've been belly crawling in a stream bed over cobbles. Takes decent pictures but you have to watch the ISO 800, kinda grainy( if in a dark slot canyon)
My main camera is a Canon digital Rebel SLR and I've been upgrading the glass on it but for tamer hiking and canyons only.

REDFOX
07-23-2007, 08:00 PM
I just recently bought the pentax W30 it appears to be a great camera. I will be testing it out in Alaska on an extreme fishing adventure. I can't wait to take some underwater pictures. Newegg.com has a deal that they are offering which includes a 2gb sd card.

Win
07-24-2007, 06:20 AM
I have the Olympus 720SW, Liking it alot but it does get grainy at higher ISO.

Win

oldno7
07-24-2007, 07:37 AM
looks like the best deal--anyone dealt with them?
http://www.bwayphoto.com/product.asp?id=pnoptiow30

oldno7
07-24-2007, 07:39 AM
I have the Olympus 720SW, Liking it alot but it does get grainy at higher ISO.

Win
I read some optio reviews that said the same thing Win.
still undecided

Alex
07-24-2007, 08:02 AM
If you want video, go with W30, if you want stills only and some video go with Olympus. Olympus is smaller in size and has a lens cover. W30 has a plastic cover on the lens, so you have to be careful at times. Also W30 has MOV video format, which kinda blows unless you use a MAC.

Win
07-24-2007, 08:04 AM
Be careful where you buy from, I did a quick search on Bway Camera. Not Good!

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Broadway_Photo

Win

Alex
07-24-2007, 08:26 AM
I'd get it from Newegg if it was me

oldno7
07-24-2007, 11:36 AM
wow--thx Win.

I hadn't researched them yet:assault:

oldno7
07-24-2007, 11:39 AM
If you want video, go with W30, if you want stills only and some video go with Olympus. Olympus is smaller in size and has a lens cover. W30 has a plastic cover on the lens, so you have to be careful at times. Also W30 has MOV video format, which kinda blows unless you use a MAC.

maybe I better go olympus,I can't even spell mac :lol8:

Alex
07-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Well, I use WIndows and hate Mac, you can dump MOV files directly to Youtube and you can convert the MOV format into AVI if you want to do editing in Microsoft Windows Maker. Again, it depends how much video options you want to have. If you want good video, go W30, 15 fps just doesn't cut it.

bruce from bryce
07-24-2007, 04:00 PM
Check out 'fatwallet.com' for all kind of coupons, deals, free stuff, etc. Other people do the work and you can get money off just by entering a number when you order. Also, there is a cash back program should you buy through fatwallet and a vendor that has signed up with them.

I've used it over the course of three years to buy a computer, two cameras and gets lots of free magazines.

If you're really good you might be the one collecting these coupon numbers and entering them for others to use.

utidcapaco
07-25-2007, 11:49 AM
Hey Alex, I think Pentax recommends getting the gaskets/seals on your W10 cleaned/lubed/etc. every year or so. Have you had that done yet? Just wondering how necessary it is (certainly environment is a factor) and how much it costs.

Brent

Alex
07-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Brent, thanks for heads up, I didn't know that. I haven't had any problems with it yet, but I will re grease it tonight.

I think I bought mine for like 260 when they first came out, I got it at Costco, so if it ever leaks Costco will be more than happy to replace it :nod:

CactusJackSlade
07-26-2007, 09:35 AM
For point and shoots, i really like my canon s80. Wider angle lens and full manual controls so it's great for slot canyons.

I love my S80 so I picked up the WP housing (eBay about $150) With this housing is pretty much full button function and rated to 140 feet (ie: SCUBA divving).

The 28mm wide is awesome in the canyons compared to most point and shoot's 32-37mm lenses, that was the feature that clinched it for me.

I've taken it a lot of places that I cannot take my Nikon D200 w/ 10-20mm lens.

CJS

chin
07-29-2007, 05:04 PM

I love my S80 so I picked up the WP housing (eBay about $150) With this housing is pretty much full button function and rated to 140 feet (ie: SCUBA divving).

The 28mm wide is awesome in the canyons compared to most point and shoot's 32-37mm lenses, that was the feature that clinched it for me.

I've taken it a lot of places that I cannot take my Nikon D200 w/ 10-20mm lens.

CJS

I got the WP housing as well before a dive trip to honduras and have been really impressed. It works great for wet canyons, high-dust areas, waterfalls, etc. It and my gorillapod have been idispensible.

Iceaxe
07-30-2007, 07:21 AM
I use a Canon Powershot S50. It's the only point and shot I have found with a flash good enough to shot in really dark slots. I have an underwater housing for it but almost never use it because it makes the camera to bulky. I bought this camera about 3 years ago so there is probably better stuff around now. Problem with slots and most point and shots is the flash is not good enough.

:popcorn:

Brian in SLC
07-30-2007, 07:52 AM
I use a Canon Powershot S50. It's the only point and shot I have found with a flash good enough to shot in really dark slots. I have an underwater housing for it but almost never use it because it makes the camera to bulky. I bought this camera about 3 years ago so there is probably better stuff around now. Problem with slots and most point and shots is the flash is not good enough.

How's your battery life been with the S50? Mine is terrible. And, its on its last legs. Probably replaced half the screws in the body, and, the cover doesn't slide so well over the lens. Heavy use, I suppose. I do like the flash.

-Brian in SLC

Iceaxe
07-30-2007, 08:18 AM
In slots with the flash I get about 75 to 100 pictures. I carry two batteries and have never used up both in a single day. When it's really cold (20 degrees) the battery is only good for about 20 pics, but if you put one of those little chemical handwarms in the case with the camera it doesn't know its cold and things are back to normal.

The sliding door over the lens is worn bright silver (I have the black camera) and was like that about 10 minutes after I bought the camera.

I also have the S30 (basically the same camera but a couple years older) and its still going strong. I used it in canyons for 2 years and now the wife and kids beat the hell out of it. The sliding door on that camera is all chewed up but still works good.

I have really mis-used these Canon Powershots and they keep soldiering on. Might just be good luck. The camera's are now on the large side compared to the new point and shots.

If you are getting poor battery life buy a new battery, I've had to do that a couple of times. The batteries are about $10 on eBay.

Brian in SLC
07-30-2007, 09:02 AM
If you are getting poor battery life buy a new battery, I've had to do that a couple of times. The batteries are about $10 on eBay.

I have three batteries. My camera must be a lemon when it comes to battery life. Fully charged last weekend, I take maybe two pic's up at Alta and the little red flashing battery low light is on. Crazy. And I never leave the screen on.

Yeah, I use shake and warms with it all the time.

I think I'm headin' for a new one. That Canon SD800. Got a chance to mess with Randi's the other day in the OC and was amazing how small it was, compared to pic quality at least on the screen. And, I like the wide angle.

-Brian in SLC

oldno7
07-30-2007, 09:23 AM

so are these waterproof??
do they have video capabilities?

oldno7
07-30-2007, 09:32 AM

so are these waterproof??
do they have video capabilities?

never mind found some info.(electronics get old quick)
still think the internal sealed lense will hold up best in water and sand
I'm leaning to the optio

Iceaxe
07-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Fully charged last weekend, I take maybe two pic's up at Alta and the little red flashing battery low light is on. Crazy. And I never leave the screen on.

Just a thought... maybe the red light is broke? I can usually shot at least anther 20 pics after my red light comes on. I leave my video screen on all the time and never really try to save battery life.

Brian in SLC
07-30-2007, 10:21 AM
[quote=Brian in SLC]Just a thought... maybe the red light is broke? I can usually shot at least anther 20 pics after my red light comes on. I leave my video screen on all the time and never really try to save battery life.

Nah, when the light comes on, it shuts down pretty soon after. Especially if its cold at all.

-Brian in SLC