PDA

View Full Version : Stabilize your camera for Razor Sharp photos

Sombeech
07-23-2007, 02:01 PM
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,133650/article.html

One of the most common complaints that people have with their photos is fuzziness, or a lack of overall sharpness. I often talk about strategies for making your photos as sharp as possible--like increasing the shutter speed--but that sort of thing only goes so far if you're holding the camera in your shaky little hands.

scoutabout
07-23-2007, 04:44 PM
This has become such a problem with todays point and shoots. People use the LCD display on the back, and hold the camera far out in front of them. Lock your elbows and your stomach, and use both hands.

ericchile
07-23-2007, 06:12 PM
New canon camera's have image stabilization....

James_B_Wads2000
07-23-2007, 06:41 PM
I have problems with this because I have shaky hands. A few things I noticed that make better shots:

If your shooting in auto the more light the better (higher shutter speed).

Holding the button halfway to focus, holding my breath then pressing the rest of the way. Using a two second auto timer does the same. This helps you by not wiggling the camera while pressing the shutter. More importantly it puts your subject in focus in the first place.

Tripod of course. Or lean against something like a rock or tree. This is the best method in a slot canyon.

My camera has a swivel lcd monitor, so I can hold the camera against my chest and still see the lcd.

Also when you review your shot on the lcd, zoom it in to see if it gets blurry. Most the time they look fine on the little screen then look like crap on the computer.

James

JP
07-23-2007, 10:43 PM
New canon camera's have image stabilization....
Just about all of them do :nod:

R
07-24-2007, 09:53 AM
I am just finishing up teaching a summer photography class at East Central University here in Ada, and while I made some progress, my students are still struggling with motion blur and with getting their cameras to focus in the right place. I tell them, and I'll tell you, that the only thing that will fix it is to shoot LOTS and learn your camera. Tips and tricks are one thing, but they aren't a substitute for experience.

It reminds me of when I got my pilot's license years ago. When they hand you that temporary certificate after your check ride, they tell you, "Here is your license to learn."

:nod:

JP
07-24-2007, 10:24 AM
but they aren't a substitute for experience.
That's for sure :2thumbs: It's one thing to use the tricks, but when that one shot you only have, that one window in time to get it right, experience is key. It's a digital world, head outside and take pictures of anything and lots of anything. Head inside, download and figure what went wrong and head back outside again. This way when it comes to that once in a lifetime shot, you're ready for that window of opportunity :2thumbs:

A trick for you Point & Shoot people who are having bouts of tourette's:
On your scene selection, always select your Sport scene, action, whatever it is to capture speed. This will help with that motion blur quite a bit :nod:

CarpeyBiggs
07-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Just ask Alex, the only thing you need is a tripod...

R
07-25-2007, 06:17 AM
Here's a key tell in the world of photography: in the past 15 years, cameras have advanced by wild leaps and bounds, but the pictures they produce haven't gotten much better.

http://kenrockwell.com/tech/notcamera.htm

Alex
07-25-2007, 06:31 AM
Speaking of which, since we are all professional photographers wannabes, we should make a new forum just for that. So the real pros can help us noobs with our progress.... any thoughts?

JP
07-25-2007, 07:59 AM
any thoughts?
Photography thread, hmmmm, sounds good :nod:

Alex
07-25-2007, 08:40 AM
Not a thread, but a forum

JP
07-25-2007, 08:45 AM
Not a thread, but a forum
That's what I meant :lol8:

CarpeyBiggs
07-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Oh boy.... Ken Rockwell is one of the worst internet hacks out there. I'm not sure why people flock to his website in mass. His only talent is knowing how to post things destined to stir up controversy, thus driving up his web stats and getting more money from ads. His stuff is almost all garbage.

Maybe you'll like this thread "Digital Killed My Tripod" (http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digital-killed-my-tripod.htm)

Say what Ken? The dude is straight nuts. Tripods are essential for any type of photography requiring substantial depth of field.

Photography thread, hmmmm, sounds good
I agree. Could be fun.

Sombeech
07-25-2007, 09:06 AM
His only talent is knowing how to post things destined to stir up controversy

I know a few people like that. :lol8:

R
07-25-2007, 09:16 AM
Oh boy.... Ken Rockwell is one of the worst internet hacks out there. I'm not sure why people flock to his website in mass. His only talent is knowing how to post things destined to stir up controversy, thus driving up his web stats and getting more money from ads. His stuff is almost all garbage.

Maybe you'll like this thread "Digital Killed My Tripod" (http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digital-killed-my-tripod.htm)

Say what Ken? The dude is straight nuts. Tripods are essential for any type of photography requiring substantial depth of field.

Photography thread, hmmmm, sounds good
I agree. Could be fun.

The thing about Ken Rockwell in my opinion is that he is either rock solid right on or completely off base. I think his "Why your camera doesn't matter" stand is right on the money. -R

CarpeyBiggs
07-25-2007, 09:27 AM
The thing about Ken Rockwell in my opinion is that he is either rock solid right on or completely off base. I think his "Why your camera doesn't matter" stand is right on the money. -R

The camera is not the most important piece of the puzzle, for sure. There are multiple variables to consider, such as technique, equipment, processing, and printing. If you have a crappy camera, but the other three skills are still good, your images will be nice. Ken's comparison between a 5D and his $5 camera I read about awhile back is just laughable. I've used alot of different cameras over the years, and there is no doubt that some cameras create much better images than others, all other variables the same. That is indisputable.

Now, some people can make crappy images with great cameras, or great images with crappy cameras. But great photographers usually make great images with great gear, and great expertise in the darkroom (or photoshop).

His point should be this: don't let your camera be a reason to not be out shooting. Unfortunately, in the process he spews a bunch of garbage that is not worthwhile, especially for "average joe" readers.

Anyways, just my opinion on the guy. I can't stand him.

JP
07-25-2007, 10:23 AM
Just a few :lol8:

CarpeyBiggs
07-25-2007, 10:29 AM
Just a few :lol8:

What websites do these guys frequent? Surely they aren't on uutah...

JP
07-25-2007, 10:47 AM
What websites do these guys frequent? Surely they aren't on uutah...
:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

snake_rider
07-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Getting a little bit back on topic, my wife has me shoot everything that has slow shutter speeds because she's learned that my years of long-range target/varmint shooting have taught me how to hold still.

Mind you, for anything slower than about 1/4 second you can't take a clear picture holding the camera with just your hands. If you rest your camera at least partially on a solid surface you can do okay out around the 1-2 second mark, but you _must_ have a tripod or other solid surface for anything longer.

I got her one of those Gorilla Pods for our anniversary and it's great when set up solidly.

Gorilla Pod for SLR (http://www.rei.com/product/753300?vcat=REI_SEARCH)

Alex
07-25-2007, 11:28 AM
snake, I have the same one, I do like it how light it is, I hook it up to my SLR holster camera case, so it goes with me where ever I go.

waltny
07-25-2007, 07:25 PM
A photography fourm would be great. I am a inspiring photographer that is held back by my equimpent. It is a fact that all talent and factors aside, such as technique, stability, lighting,composition, etc a DSLR will take a better pic(less noise, higher resolution, truer colors) than your average point and shoot or prosumer. It can be said that the better you know YOUR camera the better you will know its shortcomings and how to overcome them. I am always seeking constructive criticism on my "profolio with less than optimial equipment" on my myspace page http://www.myspace.com/cfnails4. So I would love another fourm to be able to share my work.