PDA

View Full Version : Archery Elk

Stuck N Utah
07-21-2007, 03:34 PM
Anyone else getting spun up for archery elk this year. I'm new to the area and was just wondering if anyone could hint me in the direction of where to go.

MY T PIMP
07-25-2007, 09:07 AM
I'm heading the Flaming George area of the Uintas. Last year we really got into them my brother hit one we couldn't find. A massive rain storm came up following the shot and washed all sign away. It was a decent small bull, but a very somber drive home. It's always hard to lose one.
I am stoked this year, I'm changing my sight from a three pin to a five pin and moving my rest from a two prong to a whisker biscuit. I had several elk last year close. I'm actually waiting until the last week of the hunt to even hunt, because the rut should be in full swing then.l :2thumbs:

HEADHUNTER
07-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Not to be a jerk - but you're about 4 weeks away from the opening weekend and you should have been scouting for the past few months or asked this question in April or May. I would suggest finding somewhere close to home - Monte Cristo - and pray that you can find elk or elk sign and go from there. Then, you know there's elk - scout next year.

Hope that didn't come off too offensive.

MY T PIMP
07-27-2007, 07:27 AM
Not to be a jerk - but you're about 4 weeks away from the opening weekend and you should have been scouting for the past few months or asked this question in April or May. I would suggest finding somewhere close to home - Monte Cristo - and pray that you can find elk or elk sign and go from there. Then, you know there's elk - scout next year.

Hope that didn't come off too offensive.
Some of us don't have that luxury of time to scout, I have bow hunted for three years now, and have had a ton of luck finding animals. You want to find a big bull with out tons of scouting. Spend a night driving and calling at various points on a hwy. Start when it gets dark and you'll get answers which will point you in the right direction. I know elk to migrate daily, you may scout them one day and the next their 10 miles away. They'll eventually come back to the spot but who knows when.

Stuck N Utah
07-30-2007, 08:55 PM
I have been looking at some maps and was wondering if anyone has accessed te uintah's from wyoming via the county roads east of 150 and if so what kind of terrain or trails does the area offer. I want to go check out the area for signs of elk if its accesable.

MY T PIMP
07-31-2007, 06:43 AM
I have been looking at some maps and was wondering if anyone has accessed te uintah's from wyoming via the county roads east of 150 and if so what kind of terrain or trails does the area offer. I want to go check out the area for signs of elk if its accesable.
I enter the Uintahs from Wyoming. I turn off the freeway at fort Bridger, go through Mountain View, Lyman, Manilla, and from their it's Uintahs all the way. I'm not familliar with hwy 150.